VPN Question

JordanSinko
Follower

VPN Question

Hello,

If this is answered is another thread, please forward me to it! With that said, here is my question..

I am having issues with my connection being disconnected from Denial of Service attacks. Therefore, I purchased a VPN from someone. With the purchase I have OpenVPN config files of all the servers I can connect to. Basically, I want to know if I can connect to this VPN with my Nighthawk router. In the end, I want my router to be connected to this VPN so all my devices connected to the router will be connected to the VPN, getting a masked IP. I read threads on setting up VPN on the nighthawk, but I wasn't sure if that was only for using MY connection as the VPN. Any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: VPN Question

R7000 has builtin openvpn connection

See manual
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
Rose_Ab
Aspirant

To the best of my knowledge, R7000 models have VPN option however the alternative solution could be flashing fDD-WRT on your router and enjoy VPN on all of your devices then. DD-WRT is a free open source project aimed at developing a Linux based firmware solution that removes the restrictions placed on routers by their default programming. Fortunately, it has the option of selecting different VPN configurations like: PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN and Once configured, users on the network don’t need to enter a log in process when they need to activate the VPN. It just starts automatically, so any device connects automatically and easily, giving you all the benefits of using a reliable VPN service. In order to check whether your router is DD-WRT supported or not, please check your router here : http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database And here is a configuration guide that will give you better idea of how you can config it on Netgear: http://www.purevpn.com/config/router/netgear_genie.php
Message 3 of 7
JAMESMTL
Novice

Be aware that the router database you linked to is out of date and the R7000 is very much supported.
Message 4 of 7
fordem
Mentor

JordanSinko wrote:
I am having issues with my connection being disconnected from Denial of Service attacks.
If you are in fact losing your connection because of a Denial of Service (DoS) attack, a VPN is unlikely to be the solution. A DoS attack is an attack intended to prevent the use of a service (in this case, your internet connection), it can be done in several ways, typically by forcing the router to use so much of it's resources than it is unable to function as intended. If your router is unable to provide a normal usable internet connection, it will also be unable to provide a VPN connection, because the VPN connection requires an internet connection. DoS attacks on residential connections are rare, what makes you think that your connection problems are caused by DoS attacks?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 5 of 7
SamirD
Prodigy

fordem wrote:
If you are in fact losing your connection because of a Denial of Service (DoS) attack, a VPN is unlikely to be the solution.

A DoS attack is an attack intended to prevent the use of a service (in this case, your internet connection), it can be done in several ways, typically by forcing the router to use so much of it's resources than it is unable to function as intended.

If your router is unable to provide a normal usable internet connection, it will also be unable to provide a VPN connection, because the VPN connection requires an internet connection.

DoS attacks on residential connections are rare, what makes you think that your connection problems are caused by DoS attacks?
I second this. Besides, your ISP needs to take care of this DoS issue, if there is one. That shouldn't be something you're responsible for.
Message 6 of 7
hulltech
Aspirant

ask your ISP for a different IP or if it is a dynamic IP do config /release ,then config / renew,but definitely contact your ISP.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E