VPN TAP i.e. iOS Support or lack thereof

whynottuna
Aspirant

Re: VPN TAP i.e. iOS Support or lack thereof

I just bought the R8000. No IOS and Android for openVPN ... wtf?  Such an expensive router. I bought this router for its openVPN support and my primary use case is to access it on my mobile devices...

This is false advertising...  Will be returning it tomorrow ....

What a waste time trying to set it all up.. Very disappointed

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 56
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OpenVPN is only supported with the following routers below.

How do I use VPN on my Nighthawk router with my iOS device?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 27 of 56
zFreeindeed
Aspirant

In the Link you provided to the KB article: Nighthawk + IOS + VPN it says that the "Smartphone" VPN configuration is related to the R6900 router. My current version (also the latest version) does not have this option. It only shows "Windows" or "Non-Windows" options in the VPN configuration. My Firmware version is: V1.0.0.4_1.0.10. Do I need to down-rev my firmware to have this version? Or is there another firmware version that I have to manually apply to my router? Or, do you need to edit the KB article to remove the applicability of thr R6900 to the article contents?

Ultimately, Id like to see a fix for this as Netgear has been promising an update for two years in this thread.

Giving the user community an open ended "someday" response doesnt help any of us now.

The product is a great one. It is missing a very valuable feature.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 28 of 56
BK12345
Guide

This still has not been fixed on the R8000.  I have been recommending Nighthawks to my friends for some time, but I will no longer do so (and in fact will recommend against them) until this is fixed, and next time I am in the market for a WiFi router, Netgear will not be on my list of considerations.  

There is no reason that you can fix this on some models and not others.

Message 29 of 56
allanmartin
Initiate

Hi

Any update on this?

If its not going to happen, would be good to know.

As the others have suggested, its a bit strange that this was sold as VPN support and the most used device is not supported.

The next model up supports iOS, so can you advice a work a round perhaps? Or tell us when the firmware will be updated to support iOS?

Allan

Message 30 of 56
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Updates will be provided as soon as the firmware is available that supports the OpenVPN for iOS.

Message 31 of 56
mui_hfz
Guide

Hi, I have this "smart" expensive router and it support VPN for Mac and PC but not iOS. In 2017 mobile computing and cloud storage is what most people do. I cannot understand why a reputed networking and storage company such as Netgear would not extend iOS support for this router. 

Netgear if you are listening please make this loyal customer reason to stick with you! Kindly say if VPN for my router is coming (Nighthawk AC 1750/R7600).

Thank you.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 32 of 56
mui_hfz
Guide

Just wanted to correct model # of my Nighthawk router: AC1750/R6700

Thanks

Message 33 of 56
mui_hfz
Guide

I will probably return this router if netgear does not extend iOS support to it.

Message 34 of 56
JamesGL
Master

Message 35 of 56
mui_hfz
Guide

Thanks, but that thread is regarding Android VPN support. I need iOS VPN feature for my router. Seems there is no update yet. Eagerly look forward to an update from NETGEAR! Kindly let me know if I should hold on to it.

Message 36 of 56
StephenB
Guru

@mui_hfz wrote:

Thanks, but that thread is regarding Android VPN support. I need iOS VPN feature for my router. 

It is the same - OpenVPN TUN support enables both mobile platforms.

Message 37 of 56
zFreeindeed
Aspirant

Fantastic News Folks!

I just updated my R6900 to version v1.0.1.16.

Guess what was included along with the security fixes?

Mobile VPN Support.

I was able to validate the functionality from both an iPhone and iPad.

Happy Times.

Thanks a TON Netgear!

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 38 of 56
Andys2020
Aspirant

What about R8000?
Message 39 of 56
mui_hfz
Guide

Pleasantly surprised that NETGEAR has extended iOS VPN support to R6700!

I updated to the latest "security fixes" and they sneaked this in so unceremoniously! 

Great job NETGEAR for listening to your customers.

Message 40 of 56
BK12345
Guide

The R8000 still has no support.

It is a getting very difficult to understand why they are doing this piecemeal.  Certainly these routers must share some degree of code.

Message 41 of 56
rayray14
Aspirant

Just chiming in. hoping to get an email notification if someone *cough* Negear *cough* finally announces support for R8000.

If I would've known this when I purchased the modem, I would have seriously reconsidered.

Message 42 of 56
schumaku
Guru

AFAIK the iOS APIs don't allow TAP (leaving rooting hacks alone)

Checking the official iOS App FAQ OpenVPN Connect iOS FAQ (Last update: 2016-10-11 20:53) does confirm:

Q: Why doesn't the app support tap-style tunnels?

A: The iOS VPN API supports only tun-style tunnels at the moment. This is a limitation of the iOS platform. If you try to connect a profile that uses a tap-based tunnel, you will get an error that only layer 3 tunnels are currently supported.

Users nagging and the wrong end of the VPN connection here - talk to Cupertino, CA please.

Message 43 of 56
BK12345
Guide

While the article you quote is factually correct about the capabilities of iOS, it is irrelevant.  I work very closely with a support organization and articles like this are published to attempt to shift blame to another company instead of accepting responsibility for a shortcoming in their own product.

The router markets itself as having VPN capabilities but it does not support TAP.  That is false advertising.  It is obviously possible for these routers to support TAP, given that other versions of essentially the same router do so.

Netgear needs to release new BIOS for the R8000 (and all the others missing this essential feature), not make snide comments about "talking to Cupertino".

Message 44 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@BK12345 wrote:

While the article you quote is factually correct about the capabilities of iOS, it is irrelevant.  I work very closely with a support organization and articles like this are published to attempt to shift blame to another company instead of accepting responsibility for a shortcoming in their own product.

The link does point to OpenVPN, the original makers and maintainers of OpenVPN - and is not specific to Netgear.

@BK12345 wrote:

The router markets itself as having VPN capabilities but it does not support TAP.  That is false advertising.  It is obviously possible for these routers to support TAP, given that other versions of essentially the same router do so.

OpenVPN with TUN is a Layer 3 VPN. And a VPN does not have to be a bridged Layer 2 LAN extension. Can't see anyhting wrong with the advertisement for supporting VPN.

Explain which "other versions" are supporting TUN for iOS OpenVPN.

@BK12345 wrote:
 Netgear needs to release new BIOS for the R8000 (and all the others missing this essential feature), not make snide comments about "talking to Cupertino".

This is an embedded system, no BIOS, just firmware.

Conclude, for you OpenVPN with TUN is not a VPN. Considering Apple does not allow to bring in a Layer 2 driver to their OS... you might have a hard to find any OpenVPN solution for iOS supporting TAP.

@BK12345 wrote:

..., not make snide comments about "talking to Cupertino".

I'm living in a country allowing free speach. Looks like we won't become freinds. But this is not reuired here.

-Kurt

PS. I'm not Netgear.

Message 45 of 56
CyberTri
Apprentice

"I just updated my R6900 to version v1.0.1.16.

Guess what was included along with the security fixes?

Mobile VPN Support.

I was able to validate the functionality from both an iPhone and iPad."

Where does this say that only TUN is supported?

http://kb.netgear.com/29826/How-do-I-use-VPN-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-iOS-device?cid=wmt_netge...

"Make sure TUN/TAP port numbers not the same when using both PC and smartphone for openVPN at the same time.
Default values:"

Obviously, if this exists on the other Netgear devices, it can most likely be on all of them. Netgear doesn't need to be defended in any way.

Thanks.

Message 46 of 56
BK12345
Guide

The R6700 and R6900 both support TAP.

Other routers, such as the R8000, do not.

That is why this thread exists--those of us who are in the Have Not category are imploring Netgear to fix this discrepancy.  Since Netgear is obviously capable of doing so, your post suggesting that it is not possible does not coincide with the known facts and if you had taken the time to read the thread from end-to-end, this information is all there.

Message 47 of 56
CyberTri
Apprentice

+1 on the R8000. That's my device as well (the x6).  I wish they would update it.  Or for that matter, the x10, if I am going to make the jump. I have a work around on Android in that there is an app that supports TAP VPN currently.

Message 48 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Unless they implemented it different to the R9000, there are two sets of downloads: One for mobile Client, and one for other systems. Abd the difference is - TUN VS. TAP.

Also when you check the options - one port is for mobile (TUN), the other is for other systems (TAP).

Still: This does not make TAP possible on iOS And probably the same for Android - unless the OpenVPN team has added a non-rooted way to make it happen - I don't care for now.
Message 49 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Hi @CyberTri

@CyberTri wrote:

+1 on the R8000. That's my device as well (the x6).  I wish they would update it.Or for that matter, the x10, if I am going to make the jump.

R8000 as well as R9000 (and prolly many more) are offering OpenVPN packages for [For Windows] (for TAP), [For Mac OS] (should be "For macOS" now, with the download effectivley named nonwindows, for TUN), and [For Smart Phone]. (TUN):

OpenVPN config packages.PNG 

@CyberTri wrote:

I have a work around on Android in that there is an app that supports TAP VPN currently.

If you managed that far, adopting the best matching config for TAP should not be very difficult. 

For completeness - provide App details. Does it require a rooted Android? Thank you!

-Kurt.

Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements