VPN TAP i.e. iOS Support or lack thereof

CyberTri
Apprentice

Re: VPN TAP i.e. iOS Support or lack thereof

I don't know how the app creator managed it on Android. It's an app I had to pay for ($9?).  It's called "OpenVPNClient". No idea how they got TAP to work.

Message 51 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@CyberTri wrote:

I don't know how the app creator manager it on Android. It's an app I had to pay for ($9?).  It's called "OpenVPNClient". No idea how they got TAP to work.

Nice, thank you for the heads-up! Best guess -> OpenVPN Client (by colucci-web.it) ? 

Message 52 of 56
CyberTri
Apprentice

Yep.  That's it.

"There is not needed to have the root access, because the VPN tun device is handled with the VpnService API introduced with Android 4.0 (ICS)."

Too bad someone hasn't done this with IOS.  Then may be we couldn't compain (as much).  But I had to pay for it  :-(

Message 53 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Thank you again!

@CyberTri wrote:

"There is not needed to have the root access, because the VPN tun device is handled with the VpnService API introduced with Android 4.0 (ICS)."

Blame my old grey cells - I should have known about the Android VpnService - API Level 14

@CyberTri wrote:

Too bad someone hasn't done this with IOS.  Then may be we couldn't compain (as much).  But I had to pay for it  :-(

Someone is Apple here - as there is no generic user level VPN API. Then App devs can create similar VPN Apps.

Message 54 of 56
rayray14
Aspirant

I just noticed an updated version available:

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware?
Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.3.36_2.1.49.1
New GUI Language Version: 1.0.3.46_2.1.49.1
Current Firmware Version 1.0.3.36
New Firmware Version 1.0.3.46_1.1.32
Release Notes:
1. [New Feature] Supports Dynamic QoS for Japan
2. [Bug Fixed] Fixed the SOAP vulnerability issue
3. [Bug Fixed] Fixed the Kcode NetUSB module vulnerability issue
4. [Bug Fixed] Updated the HTTPS certificate
5. [Bug Fixed] Disabled the QoS edit page when the router is in AP mode
6. [Bug Fixed] Fixed the issue where the USB printer disappears when access control is enabled
7. [Bug Fixed] Fixes the issue where NAT blocks traffic for certain types of packets.
9. [New Feature] Supports IGMP proxy which allows PPPoE packets for BT IPTV.
10. [New Feature] Supports Open VPN service for mobile devices.
11. [Bug Fix] Fixes the issue where the 2.4 GHz network security encryption cannot be set to WPA-PSK[TKIP]+WPA2-PSK[AES].
12. [Bug Fix] Fixes the issue where NETGEAR downloader cannot be enabled.
13. [Bug Fix] Fixes the issue where the web browser crashes after executing buffer flow attack scripts.
14. [Bug Fix] Fixes the bypassing authentication on lan.cgi.

Could this be what we've been waiting for?!? My wife's watching Netflix, so I can't confirm just yet. Smiley Happy

Message 55 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@rayray14 wrote:

I just noticed an updated version available:

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware?
Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.3.36_2.1.49.1
New GUI Language Version: 1.0.3.46_2.1.49.1
Current Firmware Version 1.0.3.36
New Firmware Version 1.0.3.46_1.1.32
9. [New Feature] Supports IGMP proxy which allows PPPoE packets for BT IPTV.
10. [New Feature] Supports Open VPN service for mobile devices.
11. [Bug Fix] Fixes the issue where the 2.4 GHz network security encryption cannot be set to WPA-PSK[TKIP]+WPA2-PSK[AES].
12. [Bug Fix] Fixes the issue where NETGEAR downloader cannot be enabled.
13. [Bug Fix] Fixes the issue where the web browser crashes after executing buffer flow attack scripts.
14. [Bug Fix] Fixes the bypassing authentication on lan.cgi.

Could this be what we've been waiting for?!? My wife's watching Netflix, so I can't confirm just yet. Smiley Happy

Amazing collection - assuming you talk of the R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.46 - only 9...14 are new, and then yes, you can expect the formal VPN support now...

Message 56 of 56
Discussion stats
Announcements