VPN between 2 R8000 routers

sosready
Aspirant

VPN between 2 R8000 routers

We have (2) R8000 routers (both with latest firmware) that we want to setup a VPN between two buildings -called BuildingA and BuildingB.  The purpose of the VPN is so the clients in BuildingB can use the shared folders (for an application) via mapped drives in BuildingA which are located on a Windows 2012 R2 Server that is also the domain controller and runs DHCP.  On both routers, DHCP is disabled. Each building has its own ISP cable connection and both have a Static WAN IP from the ISP which is set in the routers. The clients in BuildingB are on wifi using Windows 7 pro laptops and have excellent connection to the R8000.

What is the best way (reliable and secure) to setup the VPN to BuildingA from BuildingB?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Re: VPN between 2 R8000 routers

Hi sosready,

Take note that the router you are referring is just a home router with limited functionalities. The only VPN it supports is OpenVPN which allows remote devices to connect to your network. The router will serve as the server. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli...

Message 2 of 4
sosready
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. We did setup the OPenVPN, but just making sure that is the only option in this setup?

Message 3 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi sosready,

Yes. This is the only option for that kind of setup.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E