Betreff: VPN connection R7000 Android no Internet data

gekos
Tutor

VPN connection R7000 Android no Internet data

Hy

I read no almost all topics reagrding the problem with android and the VPN connection to an R7000.

I use OpenVPN on my Android and the connection does work.

I can even connect to the routers main ip 192.168.1.1 via Browser but no other website or E-Mail can be used.

I attached the log file of the OpenVPN Applcation hope this helps.

There is some sort of  Timeout error:  UDP send error: send: Invalid argument

Here a screenshot of the VPN Service Page:

Unbenannt.PNG

Andy

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 33
G35flyer
Tutor

Re: VPN connection R7000 Android no Internet data

I am having the same issue with iOS OpenVPN on R7000....LAN access works but no external internet access. This started with firmware 1.0.9.34 for me.  I downgraded back to firmware 1.0.9.32 and the issue went away.  Hopefully Netgear will resolve this issue with future firmware versions.

Message 2 of 33
gekos
Tutor

oh man that does not sound good.

Does Netgear know from this problem?

Message 3 of 33
G35flyer
Tutor

I have not reported this issue. My R7000 is no longer under warranty so I do not see right off a way to reports issues to Netgear Support...I will continue to look.

Message 4 of 33
qwealan
Aspirant

Hi Andy

Do you solve the problem? i has this problem too. 

If you have any solution , please share it to me ,

thank you very much

Message 5 of 33
gekos
Tutor

i'm no longer using the stock firmware. I now use the advacned tomato forware and with this I had hardly any problem but setting it up is much more diffcult

Message 6 of 33
qwealan
Aspirant

hi
thank you for your reply, would you please to give me some information on your new firmwork advacned tomato? which version ? guide? link?
thank you
Message 7 of 33
gekos
Tutor

here is the firmware: https://advancedtomato.com/

and use this Guide to set the VPn up: https://learntomato.com/setup-tomato-vpn-server-with-openvpn-tls-ssl-certificate/

Andy

Message 8 of 33
m3l1x
Initiate

+1 same here, Android Phone (SG S8) connects to my vpn without any problems, router adress is accessible, but there is no access to the Internet.

Message 9 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We are looking into these issues and I will let you know any new information on this when i get it.

DarrenM 

Message 10 of 33
Tin82
Aspirant

I had the same problem but with an iphone and ipad. Every time i update the firmware there is a new problem. Do they even test the firmware before releasing it?

This is how i solved it. 

On the “vpn service” page i selected “auto”.  Clicked apply and rebooted. I then reselected “all sites on the internet and home network and rebooted. 

Now its working already for a few hours. If it breaks again i will tell you guys. 

Message 11 of 33
_chris
Tutor

I have the same issue. I've tried toggling the VPN settings and turning it off/on and rebooting each time. I just can't get my android phone to work correctly with the VPN. It used to work just fine. I seem to only have local connection, I cannot ping out. Broken with the last update.

Message 12 of 33

hi Darren

Do you have any updates on this?

My r7000 is also broken with this firmware upgrade.

Thanks

Message 13 of 33

I don't think you fixed it.  I followed your steps and there is internet connectivity, but if you go to whatismyhostname.com -- the hostname is not coming from your netgear router most likely.  

Message 14 of 33
Tin82
Aspirant

It is my home ip. Thats why i need my vpn. To watch F1 when i’m abroad via my own tv supplier. 

Message 15 of 33

Thanks for the update.  I rebooted my router from the web UI, did you actually power it off and power it back on?  I am traveling soon and would like to get this fixed for the same reason you use it for.

Message 16 of 33

Looks like it's a DNS issue when using TUN on Netgear's vpn which is affects smartphone profiles.  

I had to manually add this bit to my openvpn client side config:

"dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" - optionally, you can chose whichever DNS server you'd like to use. In this case, i'm using google's public dns.

Message 17 of 33
Tin82
Aspirant

My exact actions:

On the “vpn service” page i selected “auto”.  Clicked apply and rebooted using the nighthawk app on my ipad. On my cellphone using cellulal service i established a vpn connection to my router. Checked if i had internet acces. Then i checked my ip adres. It was the cellular ip adres. Logged in via routerlogin.net on the ipad. On the “vpn service page” I then reselected “all sites on the internet and home network” and rebooted. On my cellphone using cellulal service i established a vpn connection to my router. Checked if i had internet acces. Then i checked my ip adres. It was the Home ip adres. 

Message 18 of 33
_chris
Tutor

@Tin82 wrote:

My exact actions:

On the “vpn service” page i selected “auto”.  Clicked apply and rebooted using the nighthawk app on my ipad. On my cellphone using cellulal service i established a vpn connection to my router. Checked if i had internet acces. Then i checked my ip adres. It was the cellular ip adres. Logged in via routerlogin.net on the ipad. On the “vpn service page” I then reselected “all sites on the internet and home network” and rebooted. On my cellphone using cellulal service i established a vpn connection to my router. Checked if i had internet acces. Then i checked my ip adres. It was the Home ip adres. 

And... did it work? I did this and nothing changed.

Message 19 of 33
_chris
Tutor

@scared2upgrade wrote:

Looks like it's a DNS issue when using TUN on Netgear's vpn which is affects smartphone profiles.  

I had to manually add this bit to my openvpn client side config:

"dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" - optionally, you can chose whichever DNS server you'd like to use. In this case, i'm using google's public dns.

I tried this too but we shouldn't have to do this. I have a local DNS server for ad blocking that I'd rather use instead.

Also, I recommend this instead of Google: https://1.1.1.1/

Message 20 of 33
m3l1x
Initiate

I can confirm, that this workaround works @scared2upgrade, FYI the same problem exists for Linux clients, linux config uses also TUN... And I fully agree to you @_chris, proper DNS should be pushed from the router. @DarrenM Is there some progress on fixing it?

Message 21 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Betreff: VPN connection R7000 Android no Internet data

Yes we are working on firmware for a fix for the VPN issues.

DarrenM

Message 22 of 33
_chris
Tutor

@DarrenM wrote:

Yes we are working on firmware for a fix for the VPN issues.

DarrenM

Yay!! Thank you.

Message 23 of 33
bdschwar
Guide

Recently realeased firmware R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.42 still does not work with VPN-connections with regards to outgoing traffic, so I'm once again back to Version 1.0.9.32. Any news when a working firmware is available?

Thanks & kind regards
Bernd

Message 24 of 33
KirkN
Initiate

Thanks!

I added "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" (without quotes) as a separate line to the end of client3.ovpn using Notepad.  I used iTunes to copy the modified configuration package to OpenVPN on my iPhone.  I then used OpenVPN on my iPhone to replace the existing package of the same name.  It now works!

1.1.1.1 also works.  My router address 192.168.5.1 does NOT work, but I can live with that.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements