Re: VPN connection R7000 Android no Internet data

global_nomad
Aspirant

Betreff: VPN connection R7000 Android no Internet data

@KirkN wrote:

Thanks!

I added "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" (without quotes) as a separate line to the end of client3.ovpn using Notepad.  I used iTunes to copy the modified configuration package to OpenVPN on my iPhone.  I then used OpenVPN on my iPhone to replace the existing package of the same name.  It now works!

1.1.1.1 also works.  My router address 192.168.5.1 does NOT work, but I can live with that.

Awesome!  Just tried this on my iPhone and it worked perfectly.  Many thanks!

Message 26 of 33
qwealan
Aspirant

Why netgear router so sick?

i updated to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44  still cant fix this problem.. i think i will never buy netgear probuct again.

Message 27 of 33
winger13
Tutor

Since going to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 ono my R7000, my Android running 8.0 and OpenVPN Connect connection connects to R7000 but NO INTERNET !!!

This fix of adding the following to the end of the Smartphone config .opvn file solved this issue:

dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8

Does Netgear knows about this issue?

*BTW - laptop OpenVPN config file does not need this "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" line, and internet connection still works.

Unsure if this means anything, but laptop uses TAP Mode; my Android uses TUN Mode

Message 28 of 33
_chris
Tutor

A moderator posted earlier saying they were aware of the issue. But that was months ago. I haven't seen an update yet.

Message 29 of 33
winger13
Tutor

I received a PM from DarrenM with the following firmware which supposedly fixes this isssue:

R7000_trailFW2_1001.chk

So, I do not know DarrenM. Is this safe to install on my R7000?  If good, why is this not released to folks having issues on this thread?

Message 30 of 33
Tin82
Aspirant

I had to reboot the router because it was slow. Now i’m abroad and the vpn is not working anymore. Tried my own workaround but can’t get it to work again. So tired of these firmware issues. 

When i’m back at home i will try the other workaround with the changed config file.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 33
bdschwar
Guide

Hi Winger13,
Darren indeed seem to be a Netgear employee:

Darren.JPG

And I received the file as well, installed it and tested. Still an issue with my Iphone 7 connected to 5GHz internally - VPN-access is meanwhile working without issues. FW version:
FW.JPG

Netgear's communication skills have some areas to improve, nevertheless I can currently work with the solution while still missing the feedback, whether this interim relaese probably has other weakness.

BR Bernd

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 33
boumaj
Aspirant

Betreff: VPN connection R7000 Android no Internet data

This issue of no internet connectivity was driving me nuts.  I'm listing the steps I used here solely in case there are others not sure how to proceed.  

a. I used MS Word to open the "client3.ovpn" file

b. added "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" (without the quotes) as the last line of the file

c. saved the file and exited word.

d. using explorer, I copied all of the config files to the android

e. inside openvpn I readded the profile, replacing the old config

it's now working.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E