Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN connection drops every several minutes on my AC1750

Stantraywick
Aspirant

Upgrade to latest firmware yesterday, no drops since.  I consider that "fixed" as often as the VPN would hang or drop.   While I was in the Admin panels I also changed QoS for my work computer to Highest.  I doubt that had any effect, I believe the firmware upgrade fixed the problem.

Message 26 of 33
Stantraywick
Aspirant

Upgrade to latest firmware yesterday, no drops since.  I consider that "fixed" as often as the VPN would hang or drop.   While I was in the Admin panels I also changed QoS for my work computer to Highest.  I doubt that had any effect, I believe the firmware upgrade fixed the problem.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 27 of 33
dpchristie
Aspirant

I have a similar problem,  I purchased the R7000P back in January for my home.  I also work from home and connect daily (wired) to my corporate VPN (SonicWall).   Maybe 4-6 times a day, my VPN will drop, go to suspended, and then reconnect (process is about a minute, and is always the same).   Initially I thought it was due to just the old laptop my company provided, but my system was refreshed this week and it still does it on the brand new system with Windows 10.   My router appears to have the latest firmware, and I didn't make a lot of changes to the settings when I bought it so its not too far off from factory default.   I was going to email into Netgear, but I didn't know that after 90 days you can't email for help without additional cost.   For all I know, this may be a simple fix.   Any ideas?  

Thanks so much...

Dave

Hardware Version:  R7000P
Firmware Version:  V1.3.1.26_10.1.3
GUI Language Version:  V1.3.1.26_2.1.38.1

Message 28 of 33

after warranty period, they basically ignore me now. my problem is still not fixed. I factory reset the router, reloaded my backup config. My VPN doesn't disconnect now on 5ghz wifi band(used to do it all the time), but yesterday, my ISP changed the ipaddress, my router didn't even know it's not able to connect anymore (white light indicator instead of orange).  Had to reboot it manually again. It doesn't even have a scheduler i can configure to auto-reboot so i'm ready to trash this piece of junk! Stay away from this costco netgear nighthawk R7900P router. No ssh funtionality so i can't even set a cron job to reboot. Also at times, some wifi devices like thermostat, cameras loses WIFI connectivity. I highly suggets you find another brand coz i spent close to $200 for a piece of junk with mediocre support!  I have the latest firmware, even tried a test firmware they sent me, all no good. 

Message 29 of 33
JamesGL
Master

Message 30 of 33
JamesGL
Master

Hi dpchristie, dragonglazz,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 31 of 33

thanks for the beta software. will hopefully get a chance to try this next week. i do have a question regarding beta software. since they're not official, how do i know this firmware has the necessary patches or is secure enough to deal with router vulnerabilities such as the VPN filter vulnerability that widely being reported recently as affecting a number of routers including a few netgear models.  

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 32 of 33
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi dragonglazz, 

Please let us know how it goes. 

The hot fix firmware include fixes for security issues. To protect possible malware, we strongly suggest to do the following: 

- Change default admin password 

- Turn off remote management 

Regards,

Blanca 
Community Team

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7