VPN connection problem on R7000 and windows pc 8.1pro

r_duplouy
Aspirant

VPN connection problem on R7000 and windows pc 8.1pro

I have VPN set up on my Windows 8.1 pro laptop so I can connect to my office when I am on the road. Typically I connect through my phones mobile hotspot and it works great. I am visiting relatives for the long weekend am trying to connect through their internet service ( cable and home router) and when I connect the openvpn gui, it shows their network and says internet access and shows unidentified network no internet access. Openvpn thinks it's connected and shows no errors, yet I have no connection outside of the house. I have access to devices on the network in the house, I'm connecting from, but nothing else. It also stops internet expolorer from working. I can no longer get on the internet and am not connected to my home network. If I disconnect openvpn then I have access to the internet again on IE. Again if I connect to my phones hotspot all works fine. I just can't get out from the home internet service. Any idea why.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: VPN connection problem on R7000 and windows pc 8.1pro

Is their router behind another router?

Message 2 of 5
r_duplouy
Aspirant

No I am connecting to their router through WiFi. They have a switch on their router, but that is after, not before.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What I meant was many people add a router to the ISP modem which in many cases is also a router in router mode causing NAT problems

Message 4 of 5
r_duplouy
Aspirant

No, It is just a standard cable modem, with a cisco router and a netgear 8 port switch.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E