VPN guidance and general questions on Nighthawk router

OrbiN00b
Aspirant

VPN guidance and general questions on Nighthawk router

Hi everyone.

My first post here =) I have a couple of questions regarding the Nighthawk routers, which I am very interested in.

I am looking for a router where I can install a VPN directly on the router so that all internet traffic from every connected smart device gets routed through a VPN. Today, that is the case for just a selected few of my devices, which have installed VPN software. But the signals must be strong due to concrete walls in my appartment. I have used the Orbi router with satellite untill now, but I don't believe the satellite has made the connection noteworthy better on the other side of the wall.

I also like the Netgear apps - all the Nighthawk routers are compatible with the app, right? And thus compatible with the Circle and Armor functions?

I have set my eyes on the NIGHTHAWK AC1900, R7000 router, mainly due to the reasonable price. However, I´m unsure whether this model supports installed VPN software?

Also, what are the main differences between the AC 1900 and the more pricier AC 2600?

And what are the benefits of getting the brand new AX6000, AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router contrary to one of the mentioned above?

As you might understand, I lack knowledge, and I am no power user, but I want a secure network for a future smart home.

Thanks in advance for any replies and tips.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: VPN guidance and general questions on Nighthawk router

@OrbiN00b wrote:

I am looking for a router where I can install a VPN directly on the router so that all internet traffic from every connected smart device gets routed through a VPN. .

Any particular VPN? Some require you to use customised firmware. So it isn't a "straight out of the box" thing.

Not all VPNs are equal. It might be better to start at that end and to get the VPN supplier's take on which routers it supports.

@OrbiN00b wrote:

I have set my eyes on the NIGHTHAWK AC1900, R7000 router, mainly due to the reasonable price. However, I´m unsure whether this model supports installed VPN software?

Also, what are the main differences between the AC 1900 and the more pricier AC 2600?

Any particular AC2600? AC2600 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to their hardware to describe their wifi speeds.There are several with that tag. Just to confuse us all, there is even one that calls itself the Model AC2600.

The R7800 is generally reckoned to be one of Netgear's most capable and reliable.

The XR500 is essentially the same hardware but with spiffy firmware for gamers. If you want a shock, just check its price.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 8
1961theo
Star

Looking at  lots of fora and asking equaly as much to VPN providers so far i havent got a solution to provide my router  a VPN  provider.

The Netgear Nighthawk AX 8 ( the router looks like a space ship from starwars) itself does not support it and  I lam at the same time 2 unexperienced to make it  work.

My Synology Nas has got a VPN server. But the mainport in my simple way of thinking remains the router, where the original IP cannot be changed?

There is also a company DD-xxx , dont know the exact name and they cant solve it either. 

Is my router that difficult or to new (november 2018)

I am hoping for a reaction that helps me out,

Many thanks 

Theo (Netherrlands)

Message 3 of 8
1961theo
Star

Looking at  lots of fora and asking equaly as much to VPN providers so far i havent got a solution to provide my router  a VPN  provider.

The Netgear Nighthawk AX 8 ( the router looks like a space ship from starwars) itself does not support it and  I lam at the same time 2 unexperienced to make it  work.

My Synology Nas has got a VPN server. But the mainport in my simple way of thinking remains the router, where the original IP cannot be changed?

There is also a company DD-xxx , dont know the exact name and they cant solve it either. 

Is my router that difficult or to new (november 2018)

I am hoping for a reaction that helps me out,

Many thanks 

Theo (Netherrlands)

Message 4 of 8
Kamoj
Apprentice

What is your expectation of transfer speed?

Using OpenVPN need a lot of cpu-power. 
If you really want to have a Netgear router, I suggest you to look at the R7800 and R9000 routers,
together with Voxel Firmware. With these you can get a connection of 100+ Mbps with 256 bit encryption.
I don't know what the R7000 can do, but probably around 20-25 Mbps, and lagging?
Also have a look at the SNBForums!

Message 5 of 8
1961theo
Star

Kamoj,

thnx for your repley. 

Disapointments are always embedded in the expectations you have.

So i know i have to adjust to that In mij non-knowledge

i thought it is an expensive router so: it MUST be good, according the specs even more

________________________________________________________________________________________________

• 802.11ax Dual Band WiFi (AX6000)

• 2.4GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 40MHz, up to 1.2Gbps

• 5GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps

• Backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi

• WIFI PERFORMANCE

•  AX8 -AX6000 WiFi. RAX 80

I think just because its so brand new there are same bugs, mayby???

combined with my ignorence, thats a perfect match for faillure😉

Al i wish to work is a safe VPN ( in combination with a good VPN provider). I would so much want te find a simple step bij step explenation how to install it at least on my router and on my MacBookPro

I noticed that SMART CONNECT, 2,4 & 5, does not perform that wel when you turn it to the switch SMART CONNECT. Difficult internet connection just one floor higher seems  a normal goal?

I wonder if the AX8 is brought first on the market to see and wait for the revieuws and remarks and irritation it might bring, adjust that in the follow up, namely the AX 12. In the Netherlands it is not for sale to my knowledge..

Perhaps you or other experts😉 help me out to solve this issue,

with regards,

Theo.

Message 6 of 8
Kamoj
Apprentice

It sound like you want a OpenVPN Client. 
You router only support OpenVPN Server functionality?

I'm baffled that Netgear has not included this functionality in a brand new router!
Since the router is very new there is no alternative firrmware.
I suggest you ask around at the snbforums and dd-wrt forums.
But if you need an OpenVPN Client now in the router, 
you might think about getting another router, such as above mentioned Netgear Routers,

(NOT the XR500/XR700)
or the ASUS RT-AC86U with RMerlin Firmware (It handles 225+ Mbps 256-bit encrypted OpenVPN Client).

So can you return the router?

Message 7 of 8
1961theo
Star

returning the router would be an alternative. But to be honest i find it a lot of fuzz. a brand new router, surely, there will come firmware that enable the VPN use? I see it as a (high end router) How wrong of me. I wonder if the AX12 is different in its features that the AX8?

sorry for my grammar, 

Theo.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E