Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN not working after the latest firmware update

pharbrian
Star

VPN not working after the latest firmware update

With the latest firmware update, version 1.0.9.34_10.2.36, the VPN option using openVPN is no longer working. It will show from my android that my VPN is connected to my VPN on my router, but it will not connect to anything on the internet. It appears that it is not routing any traffic. I am using the same settings that I always have been using with the only difference being the updated firmware. 

Can anyone else chime in if they are experiencing the same problem. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
gandmclark
Guide

I also can't get VPN working on 1.0.9.34. OpenVPN on Windows, Android and Tomato connects but no comms happens. Nothing out of the ordinary appears in the OpenVPN logs nor the Netgear logs.

I was previously on 1.0.9.32, which worked OK and which uses the same certificates as 1.0.9.34.  ( 1.0.9.32

was the firmware that changed MD5 to SHA256) I've done a file comparrision of all the certificates downloaded from the router from 1.0.9.32 and 1.0.9.34 and they are identical. So reloading the certs in OpenVPN would make no difference.

I have now reverted to 1.0.9.32 and VPN now works again. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

After my last firmware update here is what I had to do to get the VPN to work.  Log in to the router and create new configuration package files.  On you Android device uninstall the OpenVPN application and clear all data.  Reinstall the OpenVPN application and import the new configuration package files you created after the new firmware was installed.

Message 2 of 7
gandmclark
Guide

I also can't get VPN working on 1.0.9.34. OpenVPN on Windows, Android and Tomato connects but no comms happens. Nothing out of the ordinary appears in the OpenVPN logs nor the Netgear logs.

I was previously on 1.0.9.32, which worked OK and which uses the same certificates as 1.0.9.34.  ( 1.0.9.32

was the firmware that changed MD5 to SHA256) I've done a file comparrision of all the certificates downloaded from the router from 1.0.9.32 and 1.0.9.34 and they are identical. So reloading the certs in OpenVPN would make no difference.

Message 3 of 7
pharbrian
Star

This post was supposed to be a reply to the second Post in this thread. However, I'm on mobile and it didn't seem to do reply to the second post but just a new post at the bottom of the thread.

"After my last firmware update here is what I had to do to get the VPN to work. Log in to the router and create new configuration package files. On you Android device uninstall the OpenVPN application and clear all data. Reinstall the OpenVPN application and import the new configuration package files you created after the new firmware was installed."

This was the first thing I tried. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue.
Message 4 of 7
pharbrian
Star

@gandmclark wrote:

This fixed the problem. After reverting back to the 1.0.9.32 firmware, my VPN is working again.

Hopefully Netgear staff monitor this forum, so they can become aware of the issue. I haven't found any other way to submit feedback for this problem. 

Message 5 of 7
pkaytes
Guide

Although the VPN gets a successful connection to the R7000, all DNS lookups are failing rendering the VPN useless for internet access. It should be noted that the problem seems limited to the smartphone profiles. Windows clients are uneffected by this problem.

Wonder how long it will take Netgear to fix this? (Not holding my breath 😉 )

Message 6 of 7
chopin70
Virtuoso

Re: VPN not working after the latest firmware update (FW R7000 with 1.0.9.34_10.2.36)

VPN internet access broken also here on R7000 with Firmware V1.0.9.34_10.2.36:

Tested on Android with 3 different devices (Android 8.1, Android 6 and Android 7).

VPN connection is established but the no internet data is possible.

Tried the following:

- hard reset router and reconfigure manually: fails

- uninstall OpenVPN, redownload vpn config files and reinstall Android client: still fails

- back to firmware V1.0.9.32_10.2.34: VPN connection is back

So again, Netgear broke the latest firmware

Only revert to previous 1.0.9.32 will fix the issue

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7