Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN on R7800

TXTornados
Tutor

VPN on R7800

Like the other thread, I want to use my router as the VPN client, I do not want to have it loaded on the individual devices (IOS, Android, MAC and Win).  Reviewing the discussion, I was going to try OpenWrt or LEDE, but I do not see a stable version for my X4S router.  Is there one?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
avtella
Prodigy

Re: VPN on R7800

Yes a tftp flash from command prompt is all that’s needed to revert to stock, in fact stock firmware settings are still saved when you revert.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Nooneshere
Aspirant

@TXTornados wrote:

Like the other thread, I want to use my router as the VPN client, I do not want to have it loaded on the individual devices (IOS, Android, MAC and Win).  Reviewing the discussion, I was going to try OpenWrt or LEDE, but I do not see a stable version for my X4S router.  Is there one?

Have you tried Bs ddwrt yet?

Message 2 of 8
TXTornados
Tutor

According to the DD-WRT website, it doesn't list my R7800 router in their Router database.  I only found a compatible version in another community thread that said (see below), but when I look at the database, my R7800 is not listed.  So it has me questioning whether it is legit.   

"LEDE (OpenWRT) supports using the router as a VPN Client. "

"You can try Cezary's LEDE builds:

http://dl.eko.one.pl/luci/lede/17.01-SNAPSHOT/targets/ipq806x/generic/ "

So my question is, Is it legit and will I be able to return the R7800 back to factory settings if I do not like the LEDE build?

Message 3 of 8
avtella
Prodigy

Yes a tftp flash from command prompt is all that’s needed to revert to stock, in fact stock firmware settings are still saved when you revert.
Message 4 of 8
Nooneshere
Aspirant

Here is the latest build by Kong https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=289788 he is working around the clock on the r7800 that puts these firmware developers to shame, it is sad that we have to revert to third party firmwares to fix issues that are ultimtiley the companies problems, having one or two guys working on a firmware for hundreds of routers yet netgear as a billion dollar industry can't hire a group for each indivdual device to have patches in a timley manner.

Message 5 of 8
avtella
Prodigy

LEDE is more stable also has SQM QoS. DD-WRT is not bad but LEDE stable version is more bleeding edge and seems better on this device. I believe DD-WRT is still using the older 3.X kernel.

Message 6 of 8
Nooneshere
Aspirant

True he can also try voxel it is what ever you feel more comfrotable with, as for lede/openwrt if you have the time to create your own build it can be a blessing but if you are on the run ddwrt or voxel would be better in that scenario.

Message 7 of 8
Nooneshere
Aspirant

I also tried Davidsc502 on my linksys and wasn't that impressed, like I say to each their own.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7