VPN through R7000 but only need 2 devices to use the VPN, how?

alitech
Guide

VPN through R7000 but only need 2 devices to use the VPN, how?

Hi guys

I'd like advice on 2 things, please. As the title suggests, I would like to get VPN set up on the router, however, I only want a couple of devices to use the VPN, all other devices and traffic can go through as normal. 

How can I achieve that with the r7000?

Also, just a casual question, what sort of cheap fast VPNs can you guys recommend? 

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Re: VPN through R7000 but only need 2 devices to use the VPN, how?

Stock firmware doesn't support outbound VPN.
Message 2 of 10
alitech
Guide

Ok thank you. I have had a play with DD-WRT before. I will have a go again. Can you confirm though that I will be able to do what I want to do with VPN? As in, just have the router pass through 2 devices on the network through the VPN route?

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

If you use OpenVPN, then it fundamentally can do it.  You can see how to do it in this article.

You should beware of two things.

1. If you use DD-WRT, then you will lose hardware acceleration.  This may or may not matter if your Internet connection is not that fast.  You may want to consider either Asuswrt-Merlin on R7000 or any of various flavors of Tomato that support hardware acceleration.
  2. OpenVPN is very CPU-intensive.  The R7000 will probably only be able to manage 20 to 30 Mbps.  I've never tested it but these are roughly the numbers I've seen quoted by others on the Internet.  This will be true regardless of the flavor of third-party firmware.  If you use Asuswrt-Merlin, then use these instructions for selectively routing specific devices through the VPN.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 10
alitech
Guide

Thank you for your excellent response. Just what I need.  Will read up on Open VPN. Will the r7000 struggle if just 2 devices are going to utilize the VPN?

Happy to use any other firmware as long as it gets me what I need. I have a 300MB connection at home so I fear that the R7000 may struggle in light of that. Any recommendations of which router I should upgrade to get what I need? I can get a new router if needed. 

Will aim to get the best one that is recommended. Need VPN, Excellent wifi reach and something which ideally supports dual 5Ghz.

I recently bought an R8000 as an upgrade but had to return it as the Wifi signal was terrible. It couldn't even go as far as 5 to 6 meters on 5HZ. I installed DD-wrt on there and increased the signal gain and it didn't do a thing, so promptly returned. Back on my R7000 now. 

Any help and advice on which router to go for would be great. If a router is not going to cut it, I have a spare PC lying around that I could use? I am not very experienced with VPN so all the help would be appreciated. 

Message 5 of 10
TheEther
Guru

It's no so much a question of clients but total bandwidth.  Like I said, I've read that a R7000 will top out around 20 to 30 Mbps over the VPN.

A PC will be much better than any router for VPN performance. pfSense seems to be the standard recommendation.  If you end up going this route, you can always repurpose the R7000 as an Access Point.

Message 6 of 10
alitech
Guide

Thank you so much TheEther.

Just before I start learning and reading up on pfsense, can you recommend a good router that would handle this? I would prefer an all in one solution ideally. 

Message 7 of 10
TheEther
Guru

AFAIK, no consumer router can handle 300 Mbps of traffic through a VPN. You pretty much need an x86 (i.e. Intel/AMD) CPU.
Message 8 of 10
alitech
Guide

Ok. Off to learn about pfsense.

Have an hp small form factor with an i5 2500 lying around. Might need a good Nic. Let's see how far I can go with this.
Message 9 of 10
alitech
Guide

I have to thank you for the help you have provided me here. Appreciate it.

Might come back and post some more questions since you are very knowledgeable
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E