Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very slow USB speed on latest R6700 firmware

Danyulc
Aspirant

Very slow USB speed on latest R6700 firmware

The USB HDD I have connected only works at speeds of approximately 1MB/sec with several of your recent firmware updates for the R6700.

The last firmware update to properly work with a HDD connected to the USB port of the router was R6700-V1.0.1.20_10.0.32

When I switch the R6700 firmware back to the version listed above everything works fine with my portable laptop HDD connected to the router's USB port.

Upgrading to any firmware version released after the one I listed above results in incredibly poor performance of the network connected HDD.

I was hoping you guys would find this issue and fix it without me bringing the issue to your attention. Apparently nobody else has complained. So now I am here to do it. Please fix the bug that was introduced in any version of the firmware later than the one I listed above.

I have tried the latest posted version R6700-V1.0.1.26_10.0.35.chk and it DOES NOT function properly. With USB network storage speeds of 1MB/sec. It's so slow I can't watch videos that are on the portable laptop HDD connected to the router. I had no trouble at all viewing my home videos off this network connected HDD before attempting to upgrade to a router version newer than R6700-V1.0.1.20_10.0.32.

As of right now I am forced to use version R6700-V1.0.1.20_10.0.32 because any newer firmware renders my connected USB HDD completely useless.

Please fix the bug in your firmware so I can enjoy the increased security along with a USB port that actually works.

Thank you!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

If it isn't too late, first note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

There have been reports of new firmware slowing down USB devices and Netgear claims to be working on those.

If you want them to work on this device, you'll have to try the factory reset first.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

If it isn't too late, first note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

There have been reports of new firmware slowing down USB devices and Netgear claims to be working on those.

If you want them to work on this device, you'll have to try the factory reset first.

Message 2 of 6
Danyulc
Aspirant

I have saved the configuration of the old firmware and also taken screen shots. Sometime in the next day or two I'll reset the firmware to factory defaults after upgrading to the new firmware. Whether it functions properly or not after that point I'll post a reply with the results.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
Danyulc
Aspirant

I reset the router to the factory firmware and now it works as it should. Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
Danyulc
Aspirant

While changing my settings back to the preferred setup I found out what is causing the problem.

I have my Device Name as R6700 and I use that instead of 'readyshare'. Doing so causes the speed to drop from over 50MB/s down to 1.2MB/s

Message 5 of 6
Danyulc
Aspirant

It is actually the quality of service settings that mess up the speeds over LAN for the readyshare connected USB HDD.

With QoS off the speed are fine. When QoS is on 'Advanced' manual setup the speeds drop to 1.2MB/s

So it is pretty clear something is bugged in the QoS implementation on the latest firmware for this router.

As mentioned in my initial post everything worked properly on an earlier version of this router's firmware.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7