Re: Very slow WIFI R8000

ephilyaw
Tutor

I found that unplugging the router putting it in the garbage and then buying a new Velop router worked best. I went from 5 MPS to 225 MPS
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 51 of 64
yack9
Aspirant

In my case, firmware upgrades slowed down my wired connection as well. My current Comcast normally gives me about 360Mb down, which dropped to about 280Mb.  I rolled back a couple versions of firmware to V1.0.3.54_1.1.37 and was back at full speed. I then updated to latest firmware and the slowdown came back. Once again rolled back to the older frimware and problem again was gone.

Message 52 of 64
Coolgate
Aspirant

The most crappy **bleep** router ever camed into my house. So **bleep**ty!

Message 53 of 64
yack9
Aspirant

Yes. It's working properly now. However, not having the latest firmware for security unless I want to trade off the speed drop is going to ensure I buy something besides a Netgear real soon if they don't get this issue fixed.
Message 54 of 64
TerryPh
Virtuoso

To all.
This is particularly for the R8000 model.(It would be also for other models, if same problems persist, except for step 1 below):
1. Flash the FW to v.1.0.3.54. This version is proven to be most stable for NOW.
2. Do the hard resetting the router immediately after flashing FW to , again I emphasise, v.1.0.3.54, meaning doing 30-30-30 resetting method. You can Google it to find out how.
3. Of course, then you can apply your personal setting to router.
4. IF YOU DON'T NEED IT, TURN OFF DLNA, BY IN CHECKING TURN ON DLNA BOX ON THE ADVANCE TAB, USB FUNCTIONS, MEDIA SERVER. Otherwise, leave it alone. (Not peeferrable)
5. QoS can be off, unless you have a very fast Internet Services. >300mbs downloading.

For now, Netgear software engineers are working to remedy the updated firmware serious faults and they are still in the infantry process.
Message 55 of 64
yack9
Aspirant

That is the firmware in running and it works fine.
Message 56 of 64
Trance_End
Initiate

For the longest time, I've been experiencing issues with my internet speeds wirelessly.

I initially thought it was my phone (Note 8), but my girlfriend with the same phone wasn't having any problems -- although she was connected to my 2.4GHz Band and I was on the 5GHz side. I switched to 2.4GHz and to my surprise I was back acheiving normal speeds.

There is something wrong with the 5GHz bands -- I usually update my firmware whenever I'm prompted.

Hopefully, NETGEAR can find a resolution to this in a following update Smiley Sad

Currently on V1.0.4.12_10.1.46

Message 57 of 64
spartus434
Aspirant

I gave up on the Netgear firmware (buffering constantly on video streams) and installed Tomato firmware by Shibby.  Takes a bit to learn to setup but all of the problems with the Netgear firmware are gone.  Netgear has always had VERY VERY VERY bad support.  They never want to except responsibility for defects in their products.  I got a really good deal so that is the only reason I have a R8000.

Message 58 of 64

Do you happen to have a link to that firmware and instructions on how you setup that build? I tried some WRT firmware, but it didn’t seem to solve the issue.
Message 59 of 64
BradSheldon
Aspirant

I just had the same problems.

Turned out that if I turn off the 2nd 5Ghz Wifi my speeds return to normal.

For Info : The 2nd 5Ghz wifi is working but only if your standing ontop of the router other wise useless.

Hope this helps others.

I’m running latest Firmware.
Message 60 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please check this firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000058796/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-18

Message 61 of 64
cledwards00
Tutor

New firmware doesnt resolve the problem. I'm having the same issues where I can only get 20Mb download through wireless. I'm with these people where it seems the most logical solution is to buy a new router that isnt Netgear. Your products have become inferior and I think it's in favor of the shareholders as to why. I'm going to revert back to old firmware to see if it resolves my issue and stay there until you can figure you sh!t out.
Message 62 of 64
cryptonyk
Aspirant

I solved it.  Went out and bought 3 Plume Superpods and I've never been happier.

Message 63 of 64
cledwards00
Tutor

Should have saved your money. Just loaded Advance Tomato in 15mins and now my wireless speeds are working perfectly fine again.  Clearly Netgear cannot figure out their firmware issues. I'll update in a few days as things get a chance to settle in. But, so far I've turned a paper weight into something usable again, especially without paying their ridiculous comsuner support fee of $139.

Message 64 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E