Very slow WIFI R8000

wildchilde
Tutor

Very slow WIFI R8000

The past couple months my wifi has slowed to a crawl. I've ignored it somewhat but have been home more lately and it's really annoying.  Now after 2 days of trouble shooting and reading forums here I am.  This evening I manually loaded the most recent version.  1.0.3.36_1.1.25

we have cable, suddenlink 75 and on wired computer i test speed get 78 DL speed.  Wifi out of 11 tests today my best was 7.51 and upload of 8.20.  

Previously speeds had been 50 to 60 on wifi.  This is unacceptable and getting unbearable as wew cannont even stream a movie without buffer time.  I have read several others with the same issue recently but have NOT read a good resolution other than possibly reverting back to firmware from November.

Yes, I"ve done a hard reset, twice and had to reset everything in the house.  This is no longer putting out anywhere near an advertised output for speeds.

QOS is turned off, never had it on.  PNP was on then off and it's currently off.  have tried a couple different channels does not seem to make a difference.  It hangs on a wall  by a window.  we are rural, not real close for neighbors to interfere.  I'll check back tomorrow.  

Suggestions are WELCOME!

Thank you.

Tomorrow I will try reverting to a firmware from November if no good suggestions. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 64
wildchilde
Tutor

Re: Very slow WIFI R8000

I gather that there has not been a solution to the routers not meeting speeds?  Any help would be appreciated.  

Alternate choices for routers?  

Message 2 of 64
LeeH
Prodigy

Does the speed increase when you get closer to the router?  I wonder if maybe one of the WiFi transmitters has weakened.

Message 3 of 64
wildchilde
Tutor

I am not sure.  was working great in November.  bumped my internet up from 50 to 75.  was gone a couple weeks but noticed in december it wasn't the best but holidays and all didn't dork with it.  Feburary rolls around and we get directv well i can't even stream a movie it's so bad because of the buffer.  I removed it from the wall and sat it back on the desk last night for a while.  same thing.  I also went in yesterday and was right beside it for a while.  same thing.....  7 mbps is awfully slow when before i was booking 50 on wifi.  I just really hate to drop another 300 on another netgear router when there have been SO MANY complaints of the same thing but yet I have not been able to find a post where there was actually a solution.  

any other suggestions?  

Message 4 of 64
wildchilde
Tutor

Still no wifi output on this router, none, not even sitting with in 2 feet of the router. 

No solutions either.  Either updates are horrible or the router is bad.  Totally stinkIs beings how these routers  have not been out but what a year and a half now maybe 2 years??  I have resorted to going back to old versions am currently on 1.0.2.46 to no avail, hard reset after each one.  Hubby is getting compeletely off the charts about this. 

Message 5 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi wildchilde,

1. What are the lights on the router?

2. Are the devices capable of 5Ghz connection? Can you detect the 5Ghz?

Message 6 of 64
t_house
Aspirant

I am having the very same issues.  I updated my firmware tonight and the problem remains.  All the leds are white and showing connections yet only my wired desktop has internet access.  I have Blast 150 Comcast internet.  My speed test numbers show download speeds of 125 Mbps and upload speeds of 1.12 Mbps.  Those numbers used to be 148 Mbps DL and 25 Mbps UL.  I have devices on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz and both are affected.  It seems as if once you have a Netgear Router for a couple of years, they stop working properly.  My previous router was an R6300.  Great for a while then it stopped working properly.  That actually led to me purchasing the R8000 and we see where that has gotten me.  If my name was Negan, I'd bash my own head in with Lucille just to not have these constant aggravating issues.  

Message 7 of 64
highon2str
Tutor

I also have an R8000 with crazy slow wifi and bad video bufferring issues. Only seemed to have happened recently. Have now updated to V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 firmware, turned off QoS and WMM as directed but cannot stream any HD content without hedious lag.

What firmware do we have to revert to in order to fix this?

Message 8 of 64
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

i too using the R7900 am experiencing wifi bandwidth drops. i pay for 100mbps Down and over wifi i only get 30. although when i reset the router i get the full 100+ bandwidth, then after a few hours it drops back to 30 for any device at any distance. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Make sure to do a factory reset on the device after the update. Manually reconfigure after the reset.

Message 10 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 11 of 64
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

wouldnt an update before a factory reset remove the update???

Message 12 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Reset will not remove the firmware update. The settings will restore to factory default but not the firmware.

Message 13 of 64
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

now when YOU say reset, to my attention i beleive your talking about a reset like on off... are you specificaly talking about a hard reset where you put a pin in the back and hold for about 7 seconds??

Message 14 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi TheWorstPing,

I am referring to pressing the reset button of the router to restore the settings to factory default.

Message 15 of 64
Chaossloth
Tutor

I have what i believe to be a similar issue. 2.4ghz works fine about 100 mbps down, 5ghz is slower at about 30mbps down and then to nothing and connection resets. Also unable to connect to the 5ghz channel in most cases now. I have a 300+ mbps internet connection and it was previously able to max it out on every device tested wirelessly.  Here's what I've done this week.

-Router updated a week ago (I was a couple updates behind) and 5ghz eventually slowed to nothing

-Restart and works but SSID broadcast was disappearing and I couldn't connect

-Hard reset and nothing happened router went through the process and all networks stayed as the customized ones

-Hard reset again and magically worked for a while. I could get full connection and speed but it was still dropping the connection to the devices

-Bringing me today and 5ghz is still only showing up listed as an available network half the time and about 2 mbps down and 1 up then drops

-Tried different channels and changed the preamble and cts/rts with no difference.

-During the whole process with this, anytime I saw it slow I hardwired in and tested internet speed and always got 320mbps+

My next option is to downgrade to the previous firmware of 1.0.3.4, hard reset and test again. Unless instructed otherwise.

Message 16 of 64
Chaossloth
Tutor

Went back to 1.0.3.4 which was working before the updates. Did a hard reset and I can't even connect to 5ghz at this point from the laptop. It was showing as an available network and now I can't even see it.  I turned my phone to 5ghz only and I find all my neighbors SSIDs first, then about 1 minute later mine connects and I'm getting 2-10mbps and connection drops.  2.4ghz working and tested about 85mbps.

And below is a wired speedtest (timestamps are off but are from right now)

Message 17 of 64
Chaossloth
Tutor

Updated to newest firmware

-hard reset

-2.4ghz 40-80mbps connection

-5ghz 5-35mbps connection

-followed suggestions of kb 23655 with no speed increase, actually got slower connection on 2.4ghz

-Plugged in my x4 extender directly to internet to test connections

-Devices running at full speed nearly maxing out my advertised speed from cox

In conclusion either the firmware messed up my 5ghz or my router is faulty.  

Message 18 of 64

I'm having the same issue - 2.4Ghz band is relatively fast, but the 5Ghz band is getting 0.65 Mbps DL.  Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Message 19 of 64
Chaossloth
Tutor

Yup bought a new router.....

Message 20 of 64

This is crap - I called support and because my router just happened to crap out after the 90 day support, they want me to spend more money on "premium" support to fix the issue.  I will not be buying NETGEAR products again.

Message 21 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi PSUGuitarist,

What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure to update it.

Reset the router to factory default after the update.

Try changing channel of the 5Ghz connection.

Message 22 of 64

James,

I first noticed the issue with version 1.0.3.36.  I then updated the firmware to 1.0.3.46, reset the router to factory defaults, and experienced the same issue.  I then downgraded to 1.0.3.26, did the factory reset, and am still having the same problem.  I've tried each of the channels for both 5Ghz bands.  I've enabled and disabled QoS, ensured that IPv6 was disabled, and disabled UPnP.

Message 23 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi PSUGuitarist,

Please check your inbox.

Message 24 of 64
Lost_Fan
Aspirant

Has an issue been found for this?  The level of uneceptibaleness Netgear has accived with this generation of "high-end" routers amazes me.  The Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 may as well be a wired only router.  It is great for all the devices I have plugged into it (and I am lucky to have a very well wired house so that is everything that has an ethernet port.  On a good day the wifi will suffice to search google from a cell phone, but more offten then not even that stalls out and we switch to the mobile network out of frustration.  I had assumed I got a bad device, but am shocked to see it apears to be a pretty common issue.

Message 25 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E