Very slow WIFI R8000

ephilyaw
Tutor

Re: Very slow WIFI R8000 FIXED

WOW - I found a fix that worked for me.  I get 260 Mps when I check my internet speed with my computer through speetest.net.  That computer is directly wired to the Nighthawk router.  My iPad, iPhone, Playstations, DVD player, etc... where getting between 1.4 Mps up to 8.6 Mps with no other traffic. 

The secret that fixed my router was not a firmware update.  The real fix for me was logging into my router through the internet (not the app on your computer or iPhone etc - Netgear Genie).  I had to go to http://www.routerlogin.net.  I then logged in with my credentials.   Then go to BASIC - DYNAMIC QoS.  I have QoS turned off (the default).  Then the next section Automatically update performance optimization database was not selected.  I selected the radio buttom and then did the UPDATE NOW.  I APPLY changes and closed it. 

WOW now everything wireless is blazing fast again.  With other traffic on my network my iPad just got 210Mps on the speedtest.net check.

This was the perfect solution for me to fix the slow WiFi speeds.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 64

Now that's it's been a few days, how are your speeds holding up?  I did the same steps you provided yesterday, and my speed only increased for a few hours.  It's now back down to almost unusable.

Message 27 of 64
ephilyaw
Tutor

My WiFi stayed at great speeds for about 6 days.  Last night 08/28/2017 the WiFi speeds started slowing back down again.  I was getting 10mbps on WiFi last night, which is still double what it use to be.

I guess Netgear has given up on the R8000 Nighthawk.  Maybe it is time to throw it in the trash and go with another brand of WiFi.

Message 28 of 64
jerbla
Apprentice

Re: Very slow WIFI R8000

Sadly the opinion I am reverting to Netgear never again.

Message 29 of 64
wildchilde
Tutor

I also still have problems with 5ghz speeds. Yes, all my stuff recognises the 5ghz but I out mist everything on the 2.4 and leave the 5 so will not get congested.
Surprisingly no response from anyone. These routers are a bit pricy for this to be going on.
Message 30 of 64
princetraz
Aspirant

Screw Netgear: they’re probably sitting there and reading this saying: ‘we don’t care if you buy another router or not, there are more idiots like you who will fall for our ads and keep buying, we rich bitches!’
Message 31 of 64
MasterChief0781
Aspirant

Are you ever gonna fix this this is pathetic you guys always say reset to factory default that's not always the salution I think you guys can do better than this I am tired of these products going down hill eventually I hope you guys get sued if you fix it or give refunds to everyone who purchased one and no just because you say it has a 90 day tech support thing for the product  it should be forever I usually never talk this ruid but something needs to be done my Dad bought this $250 router cause our old n600 needed a upgrade and it changed nothing we changed the channels and everything fix this now before your company gets sued.

Message 32 of 64
MasterChief0781
Aspirant

I will tell everyone I know never to buy from Netgear and to go to Asus or another company this is trash. ALSO WHY DOES THE ROUTER GET THIS HOT MAN THAT IS SOME POOR QUALITY I SURE WISH IT HAD FANS ON IT BECAUSE THIS ROUTER IT SUPPOSED TO BE A BEAST AND RUN 24/7 NON STOP SO THAT MEANS CAUSE MY OLD ROUTER WAS THE N600 AND IT WAS AT THE SAME TEMPATURE THERE WAS NO PROGRESS WHEN IT CAME TO COOLING.

Message 33 of 64
SSpangler10
Aspirant

What a terrible company, none of them are responding to this problem? I also have the same problem with very slow WiFi speed, and nothing I’ve tried has worked. I’ll make sure I never buy a netgear product and will damn sure not recommend this companies product to anyone, which I get asked for my opinion a lot when it comes to computing/networking. I’ll do everything in my power to make sure no one buys a garbage product from a garbage non responding company. Will also be writing many reviews on my experience with the R8000 and the “great” customer service NetGarbage provides their customers for a highly priced product.
Message 34 of 64
aot2002
Aspirant

has anyone tried ddwrt firmware?

Message 35 of 64
Coolgate
Aspirant

I got the same problem on this R8000. Upgraded now to the latest firmware.... but continue the same slow wifi...!

worked fine before, 300mbit in wifi... now 20mbit

Message 36 of 64
lbotez
Tutor

Yesterday I woke up and the router was crawling.  Called Spectrum and no problems with them (plugged the modem directly into my computer and worked just fine).

Reset the modem, set it back up; same problem.  Installed the latest firmware.  Still not much better.  Fiddled with settings using the browser...  downloaded a new Genie (I see they fixed it); still working really slow.  Noticed thought it works normally for about 5-10 minutes then back to crawling.

Hooked up my old Apple Airport Time Capsule; faster than my Netgear Nighthawk but at least it's more consistent.  (I bought the Netgear because the Time Capsule was too slow, that was 2 years ago).

Really disappointed.  Can't really figure out why it's been working fine for months, but now it doesn't let me watch Netflx without buffering.  

Seems like something has failed on the router end.  Plug in directly to computer from the modem works like a charm.

Not sure what to do.

Message 37 of 64
lbotez
Tutor

Oops.  Meant to say "router" not modem in the post above. Reset the "router," not modem.  Pushed a paperclip in the router.  Then updated firmware.

Message 38 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Try to disable the QoS feature of the router and see if that helps.

Message 39 of 64
jerbla
Apprentice

Yep tried that no help or benefit gained.

Message 40 of 64
smudger1000
Aspirant

I have also been experiencing this issue on my D7000 over the last month or two. I have tried the following with no success,

• Factory reset the router
  • Change Wi-Fi to auto channel and specific channels
  • Enabling and disabling either 2.4ghz and 5ghz
  • Setting QoS on and off
  • Moving the router to another location to check for interference

Nothing has worked and I have run out of ideas on how else to fix the issue. I am starting to assume it will need a firmware update to resolve

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 41 of 64
lbotez
Tutor

Re: FIXED Very slow WIFI R8000

OK.  I figured out that one of my computers on our network had an Amazon Drive app updated the other day, and it was busy uploading most everything on this computer in the background to the Amazon Drive. I had no idea it was uploading in the background and causing our network to slow down to a crawl.   If you use the genie app you can see uploading on the 'internet" tab.

This is a really stupid mistake I made.  Once I disabled Amazon Drive, everything went to "normal".   Also you can check (on the mac) the activity monitor app in Utilities and it will tell you what's clogging up your bandwidth.

Should have known this; but swore I wasn't uploading anything.

Duh.

Message 42 of 64
mc3000
Aspirant

Re: FIXED Very slow WIFI R8000

I am having issues getting my r8000 to perform. i have a verizon fios quatum router coonected at 930 mbps up and down. the r8000 is connected to it as a access point, the quatum router has wifi radios off, the r8000 is setup in access point mode with a cat 6 cable coming from the quatum router. i have tried connecting the r8000 on the wan or the lan ports the wireless speeds dont seem to improve. r8000 is running the latest firware.available as off yesterday.
hardwired to the r8000 i get 877Mbps down / 934 Mbps up
wireless to the r8000 on the 5ghz radio i am only getting 221.50 Mbps down and 208 Mbps up

with another device connected in bridge mode to it get 275 down and 521 up. 

any advice on getting the r8000 to perform better wirelesly. it can definetely handle the bandwith as it is matching the verizon gateway maxum speed.

I also have changed the r8000 to router mode , with qos off, and parental control off, and access list off. and i am getting the same exact result. asymetrical speeds conencted wirelessly. any advice to improve the wireless speed.?

Thank you much for all the great collaboration and information shared on this site

Message 43 of 64

I'm going to try the DD-WRT firmware and see how that performs.  I'll keep you posted as to whether that solves the issue or not.

Message 44 of 64

Sorry to say the DD-WRT firmware does NOT fix the issue of the 5GHz bands being slow.  This router is just garbage.

Message 45 of 64
mc3000
Aspirant

Thank you anyways for exploring that possibility , i cant believe how bad the wireless performance of this router is. i also tried an r7000 no difference.

Message 46 of 64
lbotez
Tutor

Did you check the channels to see if you are sharing your channel with other people in your neighborhood?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 47 of 64

Sure have...

Message 48 of 64
cryptonyk
Aspirant

Just bought this for Christmas to replace my R7000 that was randomly resetting itself every few minutes and dropping all of the connections.

The R8000 is at least stable, but the wifi speeds are insanely low.  I have two servers hardwired on gigabit connections.  iperf shows gigabit speeds between them.  I also have a macbook (802.11ac) and a Razer Blade (802.11ac) on wifi.  iperf on both of those machines to one of the hardwired machines shows ~120mb/s.  File transfer speeds are about the same range at 10-15 MB/s.  These are very disappointing speeds for a router that's advertised as being capable of up to 3.2gb/s.

My configuration:

Smart Connect on.

All wifi channels set to max speed.

WMM off.

QOS off.

Router is at latest firmware.

I've factory reset and reconfigured the router from scratch twice.  Speeds stay the same even immediately after the reset.

Laptops are four feet from the router.

Traffic monitor is off.

This is obviously a wide-spread problem.  Can we get an update from someone on the Netgear team?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 49 of 64
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi all,

Try to do hard reset the router first. Then downgrade/upgrade to Firmware 1.0.3.54 available at Netgear support web site.

See if this improve for now your internet speed. Newest firmwares 1.0.4.4 and the one before it also very unstable and buggy.

Message 50 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E