Visio TV connected to wireless but videos not playing with new internet provider

bkgood14
Aspirant

Visio TV connected to wireless but videos not playing with new internet provider

We switched internet providers and modems and now our Visio TV will not stream movies via Netflix, Prime, etc.  I am able to connect to the wireless access point and it says the connection was successful.  It will even open up the home page on Prime or netlflix and show our account but when we try to play a movie it throws an error.

I had this same Nighthawk connected to the same tv and it worked fine before the internet provider changed.  We do get faster speeds though around 20 mbps instead of <10mbps.  Settings should be the same as they were previously when it worked OK. 

Running in router mode, the modem in front of the router is a GotW3 AT&T modem (basically like a hotspot).

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,

Kristi

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
bkgood14
Aspirant

Re: Visio TV connected to wireless but videos not playing with new internet provider

@shadowsports   I saw you had some replies to posts similar so I thought I would see if you could take a look at this one.

Message 2 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: Visio TV connected to wireless but videos not playing with new internet provider

> Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router

Firmware version?

> [...] it throws an error.

Not a very detailed description of that event.

> [...] Settings should be the same as they were previously when it
> worked OK.

And, in those happy days of old, it was connected to what?  An actual
modem, or some other, more complex gizmo?

> Running in router mode, the modem in front of the router is a GotW3 AT&T
> modem (basically like a hotspot).

My (very brief) reading suggests that what it's "basically like" is a
router.  Which suggests that, unless it has some kind of
bridge/modem-only mode, you might be happier if your R8000P were
configured as a wireless access point.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "Use the Router as a
WiFi Access Point".

Message 3 of 6
bkgood14
Aspirant

Firmware version is V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 - it states it is up to date.

I wasn't specific on the error because it is different depending on the platform and really isn't very specific itself.  'There was an error playing your video.  Please contact Amazon/video help' something to that effect.  The same thing with Netflix.

I failed to mention in my original post that the TV will not display it's home screen with all the apps, etc.  I think it's called Vizio "SmartCast".  Again, it just displays "Network error".

I'll try to configure it to be set as a WAP and see if that works.  Thanks for your input.  Have a great day!

Message 4 of 6

Will wait for your reply
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 5 of 6
bkgood14
Aspirant

I configured the R8000P to be in AP mode and I get the same results.  The TV will connect successfully but will not stream a movie.  I can login to the account, select a show/movie but will give a generic "Something went wrong" error.

Also, the Visio SmartCast (home page) is not available which I assume has to do with the same problem.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements