Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Voice port

AnnieOzi
Follower

Voice port

We contacted our ISP to ask them about getting rid of our old fixed home phone and using VOIP. They said we needed a voice port on our modem, or we had to buy a VOIP handset.

I can’t see a voice port on our Nighthawk. Can one of the ethernet ports on the modem be configured as a voice port? We want to use our existing cordless phone handset (Uniden XDECT R055), rather than buying a VOIP handset.

thanks

Annabel

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Voice port

Voice Ports are 'normal' phone cable ports.

The modems that support voice have eMTA support. You can't 'add' that, it has to be built-in, so you'd need to replace the existing unit. Your ISP should be able to supply that for you? They'd just swap out your existing modem.

As for you installing your own modem/router/eMTA, it might not be easy or even possible. I have Spectrum with VIOP. They have a LIST of approved modems they'd allow to be attached to the system. NONE at eMTA units, and very few DOCSIS 3.1's either (needed for higher speeds).

So I'd check with the ISP and see what they suggest for units with eMTA they will even allow to be used.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Re: Voice port

Voice Ports are 'normal' phone cable ports.

The modems that support voice have eMTA support. You can't 'add' that, it has to be built-in, so you'd need to replace the existing unit. Your ISP should be able to supply that for you? They'd just swap out your existing modem.

As for you installing your own modem/router/eMTA, it might not be easy or even possible. I have Spectrum with VIOP. They have a LIST of approved modems they'd allow to be attached to the system. NONE at eMTA units, and very few DOCSIS 3.1's either (needed for higher speeds).

So I'd check with the ISP and see what they suggest for units with eMTA they will even allow to be used.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7