Voxel Firmware Install R9000

radioout
Aspirant

Voxel Firmware Install R9000

Hi all,

I have been trying to install Voxel firmware to my Nighthawk X10. The version is: R9000-V1.0.4.5HF-HW.

I can not seem to get it to upload. I have rebooted the R9000 and my CM1000 modem. The best I get is a partial upload and the then connection is reset. I'd prefer to use this firmware.

Any insghts?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
microchip8
Master

Re: Voxel Firmware Install R9000

better ask your questions here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-4-5hf-1-0-4-5hf-hw.47893/

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 15
radioout
Aspirant

I will do that.

Message 3 of 15
myersw
Master

It installs as any manual  update.  Is that how you are are updating. Should update without issues

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 15
radioout
Aspirant

Yes, all I am doing is pointing to the .img file after extraction. The readme does not say to rename or anything; so I really don't know what gives.

Message 5 of 15
myersw
Master

I don't have a r9000 so do not have any first hand experience with installing Voxel on it. On my r7800 Voxel installs just like any manual firmware update. It should install like a manual update. There are 2 files either should work the one ending in HW has hardware accelleration built in for VPN connections I believe. 

Sorry I cannot be of more help. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 15
KristinaS
Apprentice

Message 7 of 15
myersw
Master

@KristinaS wrote:

voxels comment

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/page-11#post-421163

Thanks for that info. Should help folks with the won't install issue. Never ran into a browser cache issue in all the firmware installs I have done.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 15
KristinaS
Apprentice

@myersw wrote:

@KristinaS wrote:

voxels comment

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/page-11#post-421163

Thanks for that info. Should help folks with the won't install issue. Never ran into a browser cache issue in all the firmware installs I have done.

yeah. me too. but who knows.

Message 9 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

This is just a reminder for anyone using Third Party Firmware that it can void your warranty of the router so use at your own risk .

This warranty does not apply if, in the judgement of NETGEAR, the product fails due to damage from shipment, handling, storage, accident, abuse or misuse, or if it has been used or maintained in a manner not conforming to the product's instructions, has been modified in any way, or has a defaced or removed serial number.

https://kb.netgear.com/1113/Warranty-Return-Policy

DarrenM

Message 10 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

This is just a reminder for anyone using Third Party Firmware that it can void your warranty of the router so use at your own risk .

This warranty does not apply if, in the judgement of NETGEAR, the product fails due to damage from shipment, handling, storage, accident, abuse or misuse, or if it has been used or maintained in a manner not conforming to the product's instructions, has been modified in any way, or has a defaced or removed serial number.

https://kb.netgear.com/1113/Warranty-Return-Policy

DarrenM

Message 11 of 15
myersw
Master

@DarrenM

Since the Netgear firmware is garbage what is there to loose with 3rd party such as Voxel, which is just Netgear with fixes and improvements? I also suspect that should I return the router that folks do not even check to see what is loaded on it and just put in the bin for refurbish. Maybe if the 3rd party firmware works and they keep the router then its a win for Netgear. Lets face it the firmware Netgear has been producing is worse then anything the 3rd party folks such as Voxel or Brainslayer in my opinion. Sold my r8000p due to CRAP firmware and no other options. The r8000 only lives in my environment  because of Voxel. The r7800 is soon to be replaced by Unifi AP's as Netgear cannot produce a decent firmware to match the good hardware. Good bye Netgear at that point and I will not suggest to my friends to purchase a Netgear product. Garbage!!!

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 15
myersw
Master

Meant to say r7800 not r8000 for the Voxel firmware

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 13 of 15
KristinaS
Apprentice

well said. nothing to add.

Message 14 of 15
KristinaS
Apprentice

new voxels firmware for x10

works well.