WAN port no longer connecting

Undersea
Aspirant

WAN port no longer connecting

My AC1900 has been working well for the past 6 months. Yesterday, I was not able to connect to the Internet and after investigating found that the WAN port indicator on the AC1900 was yellow. Powered it down and back up to no avail. I also have a Verizon router connected in parallel and it was working. Verizon tech support also confirmed there was not a problem with the connection. All the intranet functions on the AC1900 appear to be working (wireless and wired connections). Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
fordem
Mentor

Re: WAN port no longer connecting

What do you mean when you say "in parallel"? How are the routers being "paralleled"?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

Have you tried powering off both the R7000 and the Verizon router. Then power up the Verizon router and give it a few minutes to stabilize and then power on the R7000?

Are you running IPV6 on the R7000?
Message 3 of 9
Undersea
Aspirant

By in parallel I mean that there is an ethernet cable coming from the Verizon FIOS interface box that connects to a bridge. The R7000 is connected to one port on the bridge and the Verizon router to another port on the bridge. All 802.11 functions are disabled on the Verizon router. The only purpose of the Verizon router is to support the television functions which is required by FIOS. All internet connectivity is handled by the R7000. This configuration has worked well for 6 months.

I have tried powering both routers off as well as disconnecting the Verizon router and the bridge and connecting the R7000 directly. The R7000 will not connect to the internet. My concern at this point is that the R7000 has failed.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 9
fordem
Mentor

Undersea wrote:
My concern at this point is that the R7000 has failed.

Thanks.

It sounds to me like it has.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 5 of 9
Undersea
Aspirant

That is what I was afraid of.
I purchased the R7000 in Feb, 2014 so it lasted about 15 months. Typical?

Any thoughts on what to replace it with? another Netgear or ASUS?

I appreciate the assistance. Much better support then Netgear provides!
Message 6 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

Yes it may have failed. Would recommend you try a hard reset by pressing the recessed reset button on the back until the power light is blinking steadily. This may take up to 30 seconds or so. Then try running with defaults.
I have heard of people losing internet connection when IPV6 is activated. But this probably isn't true in this case.
Message 7 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

You might take a look at the TP-LINK Archer series of routers if Netgear has disappointed you. Take a look at the reviews of different routers on Amazon.
Message 8 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Undersea wrote:
All 802.11 functions are disabled on the Verizon router.

It’s not entirely clear what that means, but I assume that your Verizon router WAN port and the R7000 WAN port are connected to the same Verizon FIOS box. The question I have is does the FIOS allocate multiple IP addresses? If it hands out just a single public IP address then it’s ‘first come – first served’ between the Verizon and R7000 routers, and maybe the R7000 is currently losing out. When you connected the R7000 directly did you power cycle the FIOS?
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E