Highlighted
Aspirant

WAN vlan tagging

Hello,

Does the R7000 have Vlan tagging on the WAN port ?

If not are you planning to implement this ?

My Fiber ISP uses this and i need to know before buying.

Thank you and Happy new year everyone. Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WAN vlan tagging

I don't think you will find that consumer line model from Netgear and maybe same with other consumer models
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Dr_No_pt wrote:

Does the R7000 have Vlan tagging on the WAN port ?
My Fiber ISP uses this and i need to know before buying.

There is dd-wrt firmware for the r7000, here's the VLAN support in dd-wrt:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support

Ad here's the forum for dd-wrt for the r7000:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443

So you can also ask your question in that forum as well.
Message 3 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi, both ASUS and DRAYTEK have this in their default firmwares on consumer level devices.

RogerSC, thanks for the links. Already did but nobody's answering ... ( asked 3 times )

Kong is developing dd-wrt for this router but he's not answering also ... :rolleyes:

Thank you anyway.
Message 4 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

Well, I'd also like to know if support for 802.1Q will be added via a near-future fw update.

This is a top level consumer router, you want the best, you get one of these.Why would it not support top level ISP offerings, such as optical fiber internet access?. I can't get my head around it. :confused:

As OP stated there are vendors that support this feature -and direct ones-, and I'm not really and expert here, but it seems to me that it would not be very difficult to implement it.

I queried via live chat and the person that attended me didn't know if there would be such an update. Smiley Sad I wish somebody from support team would join the thread and comment about this and/or forwarded the petition to the dev team.

:cool:
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted
Tutor

I would also like to see Netgear release firmware with VLAN support.
I used an old 3com Office connect router for years which had VLAN support.

Do not get me wrong so far I am happy with this router for the price premium
I would like to think that VLAN support will come in the future.

I want to split ISP data onto different ports (IPTV, Internet) etc...
Message 6 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Until this kind of service because much more prevalent, Netgear is not going to support it.

There are so many features they could have added over the years that they haven't.

Honestly, there's not a significant difference between the features on my 4-year old WNDR3700 and the R7000. I was able to port over my config basically line by line.
Message 7 of 22
Highlighted
Tutor

VLAN (I think) is something that most smart high end consumer routers should support.

I will wait it out. If nothing happens then I will just go over to some 3rd party firmware
which I would rather not do since it can void my warranty.

If I am not mistaken the high end Asus commercial routers that match this one have VLAN support?
Message 8 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Netgear sees a consumer and real consumer down to plug N' play for easiest setup but has performance. I don't think in their mind looking for custom setup like that is less likely to be in their list.

Keeping those VLAN other neat feature in Proafe/Prosecure. Prosafe/Prosecure still is not enterprise device but small business .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yep, June is exactly right.

They're focusing on trying to create a simple and efficient consumer experience.

When IPTV becomes a predominant content delivery method worldwide and VLAN tagging at the edge is something that many, many (say over 40%) of the average consumers need, they'll add it.

That's roughly the way they approached IPv6 support.
Message 10 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Look at ATT Uverse. They won't let you do bridge mode so make sorta hard to us VLAN , multicast well on the situation too..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yep. Several of the IPTV providers right now are forcing you to use their edge device, making VLAN support (and IGMP for that matter) irrelevant in the wireless router you're putting behind it.
Message 12 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I have IPTV here from local ISP and my Prosecure has static ip ($10) but IPTV is off their edge router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My fiber provider told me I would be able to use my own edge device but they still haven't got their video head end all figured out. It will probably be another year before they have service out here.
Message 14 of 22
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks guys for the fast replies.

I am happy with this router (so far) it seems rock solid and is fast.

I would still like to see it matched firmware wise to similar models by other manufacturers.

Saying plug and play with networking or wireless networking is really not proper if you
ask me and kind of a contradiction. Networking is almost never (in my experience) plug and play.
In my eyes the r7000 is suppose to be more of an enthusiast flagship commercial model and
as such should have all these extra features that only the truly tech savvy will want to alter.

I will still stress. That for the price premium for this router the firmware is lacking.
I kind of expected VLAN support without really reading up on the tech specs for the
R7000 before purchase.

Now that being said. Again I am happy with this device and can only hope for future firmware revision.
Message 15 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Please provide Vlan support
Message 16 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Bought a Nighthawk a week ago. After trying to connect my "Interactive TV" box (Telfort, in the Netherlands) I found out that the problem lies in the lack of VLAN support by stock firmware. Asus has it with their router of this price category (169 euro). But I wanted to buy Netgear instead and now I'm kinda disappointed.

Still have couple of days to decide to keep it and try ddwrt or to return it to the shop and get Asus.
Message 17 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am in the same situation: bought a nighthawk for the speed and excellent parental controls, and now found it does not support VLANs.

But what if I route my ISP's data through the R7000 to a VLAN capable switch where I split data and TV into different VLANs? Would that work?
Message 18 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

I ended up installing DDWRT onto my router using this website - http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

It works great, had zero problems running it. Now I have VLAN and OpenVPN client on the R7000. I can selectively choose which local device is always routed via my VPN server.

Anyways, try switching to DDWRT - it's stable and you can always go back to the stock firmware.
Message 19 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

antimirov,

DD-WRT is a partial solution, only support vlan 1-15...

My ISP uses vlan 1074 from ONT to router to give me internet services... and I can't use my 200$ R7000. It's sad not getting support from netgear about this.

Netgear support solution is... buy another one more expensive... but my solution is never buy again netgear.
Message 20 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

You can install TOMATO , it's very great for manage vlan id (for me vlan id is 835 Orange fiber)

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26ARM/122/

Smiley Wink

excuse me for my bad english , I'm french :eek:
Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

I have the same problem. Dutch provider KPN. Routers they provide are. It good enough and fully locked. So I tried tomato, didn't like it, especially taking into account that with some combination of settings it just bricks router and you can do nothing with it with the exception of serial cable. And wireless performance was lower that with stock FW.

But when I checked my old boxes and found usb to serial and serial to ttl serial converters I soldered 15 years ago, to debrick it, I got another idea. Ok, we don't have way to set vlan tagging on web interface, but internaly is it all the same Linux. And not much difference from all those wrt flavors, just additional proprietary software/drivers) So I spent a bit of time. And it turned out that via serial cable or telnet you can configure vian tagging for wan port! And it perfectly sustain reboots and changes of other settings, aside of enabling IGMP proxy ( in that case it will reconfigure vlans on boot by using hardcoded recipe, in order to enable IGMP proxying and screw your configuration, so if you need IGMP proxy, you have to configure it manually also)
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements