WD My Passport 4TB no longer recognized by R7000 after format

tloveland1
Tutor

WD My Passport 4TB no longer recognized by R7000 after format

About a year ago, I purchased a 4 TB Western Digital My Passport (WDBYFT0040BBK-WESN) and have had it connected to my Nighthawk R7000 router for a long time with no issue.  Recently, I had to use the drive as removable media for restoring my Windows PC, which wiped the contents of the drive.  I re-formatted the drive in Windows (NTFS) multiple times, I've even tried exFAT, but I cannot seem to get my R7000 to recognize it as a USB device any more.  I have done a factory reset on the router, tried both USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, and have had no luck.  The drive works just fine on multiple Windows PCs.

I vaguely recall that I may have installed custom firmware that I found a link to on this forum a long time ago, and that may have been the key to getting this to work initially, but I really can't remember and can't find the same post anymore.  All I know is that it worked before and now it isn't recognized.  Any ideas?

Current firmware: V1.0.9.34_10.2.36 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: WD My Passport 4TB no longer recognized by R7000 after format

Check the external storage device for multiple disk partitions, remove all, and recreate a single partition with an NTFS file system.

FWIW: There is no exFAT support, neither on any Netgear router nor on ReadyNAS as of writing.

Message 2 of 5
tloveland1
Tutor

I used diskpart and found a reserved partition on the drive.  Removed it, then created a new simple volume with NTFS.  Router still won't recognize it.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
tloveland1
Tutor

Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 5
tloveland1
Tutor

I have tried creating a new partition with both MBR and GPT, tried a volume of under 2TB, and still no luck... this is maddening, especially since this drive worked with this router for over a year with no issue.  I would appreciate any suggestions and am willing to try anything.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E