Highlighted
Aspirant

WGR614 lover moving to Nighhawk

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to get a little direction. I've been a longtime user of Netgear for switches and the wireless router WGR614. We have a guest staying with us at the moment who is a stock trader and has a Bloomberg and Turret. He has been having problems with intermittent and staticy connections and Spectrum determined that it was my network's fault, not their internet. At first I was skeptical, but it has been a long time since I installed my network and WGR614 is probably a thing of the past now. 

At the moment, I have one WGR614 acting as the router, and two further WGR614s wired to the router and acting as wireless access points. (same SSID, WPA, different channels.. ethernet cable comes to AP through 1 of the 4 ethernet output ports). 

I have now ordered the Nighthawk AC2100. It was on sale and delivery time was reasonable (I haven't had time to research too much but it seems like a solid peice of hardware..?)

I'd like to make the Nighthawk my router and continue to use the WGR614s as secondary access points as before. Is this a bad idea? Is there something different I need to do? Would it be wiser to spend a few dollars and get something better? The house is about 4000 sq ft and ideally I'd have two additional APs in order to cover the outside property fully. 

Lastly, do I need to exchange my old CAT5 cable for CAT5e/6/7? If so, which ?

Thanks for your input. 

Philipp

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted

Re: WGR614 lover moving to Nighhawk

@wombatt wrote:

At first I was skeptical, but it has been a long time since I installed my network and WGR614 is probably a thing of the past now. 

Wow. That line dates back to the beginning of the century, 2003. Dial-up days almost.

@wombatt wrote:

I have now ordered the Nighthawk AC2100. It was on sale and delivery time was reasonable (I haven't had time to research too much but it seems like a solid peice of hardware..?)

At least it is just two years old. But not something that crops up here that often, which is probably good news. No constant complaints.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

@wombatt wrote:

I'd like to make the Nighthawk my router and continue to use the WGR614s as secondary access points as before. Is this a bad idea?

Probably, but only you know how good you want the wifi to be or how fast your Internet service is.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, even with the "newest" (2009) version the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer Internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices, such as the AC2100, support 1000BASE-TX.

The wifi does not even support 5 GHz wifi.

Nothing wrong with it being old, just don't expect too much.

Might be too late, but an Orbi system with a couple of satellites might have been an ideal upgrade.

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted

Greetings,

I agree with everything @michaelkenward said..   except the "nothing else wrong with it part..  614's..  everything is wrong there.  

Dump ALL of your WGR614's.  Thats shooting yourself in the foot and ensuring you are not getting the full potential of your broadband service.  They are antiquated, and thats putting it kindly.  Nothing redeeming about using 17 yr old technology.  The performance improvements you will see are going to be remarkable.  

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your response.

I looked at ORBI. Is that so much better than the AC2100 Nighthawk? Just one router nearly covers the whole house and propertyk and I assume this new Nighthawk will have a better range than the old WGR614s... I mean, 802.11AC is as good as Wifi 6 (which seems to be a Netgear marketing thing). 

I don't want to spend a ton of money and am fine with configuring the AP manually.

Can you recommend a suitable access point or router or whatever works that I can use as a secondary AP? Again, I am just trying to get the signal out the back of the house and as long as I can stream spotify out there and make some VOIP calls, I'm happy. 

thanks,

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted

@wombatt wrote:

I looked at ORBI. Is that so much better than the AC2100 Nighthawk? Just one router nearly covers the whole house and propertyk and I assume this new Nighthawk will have a better range than the old WGR614s... I mean, 802.11AC is as good as Wifi 6 (which seems to be a Netgear marketing thing). 

True. I suggested Orbi only because you wanted to pile in with two clapped out old routers.

I assumed that you needed to recycle them because you had places that the AC2100 couldn't reach.

My instinct is to go with the the AC2100 and then to fill any network gaps that you find.

But be prepared to think about new ideas that have come along in the two decades since the WGR614s first appeared.

As @shadowsports said, they belong in the recycling bin.

Yes, wifi has improved a lot, but the laws of physics haven't changed, nor have the laws on how much rf power wifi sources are allowed to puff out.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted

Good afternoon,
Just about any device which is more modern than the 614's is going to offer better performance. I'm not jumping on the Wifi 6 bandwagon just yet either. I don't have any AX capable devices and except for my Xbox S everything in the house that really matters is wired gigabit anyway.

@wombatt, the thing is, any AC capable device it's going to perform leaps and bounds over your 614's which don't have gigabit ethernet or 5Ghz wireless. So in your case, anything you choose is going to be a positive move up and in the right direction. Based on your existing setup it's not going to be any problem for you to set up a multi device configuration whether that be a mesh system or one device acting as a router and the other one has an AP. Clearly you have that down. So whatever you choose it's going to be a good move.

Orbi's are okay. I have a (first gen ) RBR50 and RBS50 running in a 2,600 ft. multi-level home. Performance is above average but not wow. Purchased them at release I paid a premium for them. Overall they've been reliable. I didn't have any of the rebooting or disconnections that other people spoke about. I've never have any of the problems people seem to complain about here.

We hope that you're going to upgrade a little more frequently in the future. If you don't see yourself doing that maybe Wifi 6 is the way to go as it will eventually become more common. I think most people upgrade every 2 to 5 years. So Wi-Fi 6 devices will continue to improve as they mature.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements