WIFI Connectivity Issues

dtones520
Aspirant

WIFI Connectivity Issues

We have a Nighthawk R7000 and have been having some weird connectivity issues with it over the past couple of months. The internet randomly loses connection on all devices. Our signal strength is fine, most of the time i will have full bars. We do not have issues with the wired connection. We notice it most when we are streaming videos on our SmartTV. It usually only lasts about 30 seconds before the devices reconnect to the internet but it is beyond frustrating. 

Yesterday, I updated the Firmware to the latest release, which was actually an older version of the Firmware than what i had installed back in February. But I am a bit lost as to why this is happening. As I said, the signal strength is fine and it impacts all devices. Please help!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: WIFI Connectivity Issues

Could it be a microwave oven?  It operates in the 2.4 GHz range and can disrupt Wi-Fi.  Baby monitors and some cordless telephones also operate in the 2.4 GHz range.

Have you tried changing Wi-Fi channels?  Perhaps neighbors are congesting the current channel.

Message 2 of 6
at0o0o
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem. Try these settings.

1. Under the wireless settings, change the 2.4GHz mode to 289 Mbps and the 5Ghz mode to 600Mbps. Click apply.

2. Click the advanced tab at the top and click QOS setup.

3. Make sure WMM is enabled for both 2.4ghz and 5Ghz. Click apply if you made changes.

4. Click the upstream QOS tab and make sure it's disabled.

5. Click the downstream QOS tab and make sure downstream QOS is disabled.

You shouldn't have to worry about enabling QOS unless you have multiple wired connections constantly sicking up bandwidth. Let me know how it goes. I've found the router very stable with these settings. It kinda sucks that I'm not using this router to its full potential, but after experiencing the problems you had, I just want one that works. Good luck! 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly update the firmware to the latest official release version 1.0.5.64.

Feel free to give us an update.

By the way, after updating factory reset the router then manually enter again the settings.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 6
dtones520
Aspirant

We upgraded the firmware and that fixed the issue for a few days. However, the issue has been popping up more and more again as of late.

I thought maybe that the baby monitors would be making an impact, but it happens on the 5ghz channel as well and happens when the monitors are off as well.
Message 5 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Talking about 5GHz band? Don't you use inSSIDer or Acrylic utility to survey your neighborhood wireless situation? You may have a interference or noise problem from neighbor's wireless signal.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E