Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI Devices Issues

Rkedonnay
Tutor

WIFI Devices Issues

All devices are showing wifi adapter issues. When connected with ethernet connection, no problems.  Have used Nighthawk to verify update of latest version of firmware.  Any suggestion?  Does this indicated router replacement?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: WIFI Devices Issues

@plemans 

1 & 2  So by adding multiple devices to the 5ghz band, is it reasonable to move a printer and an iPhone to the 5ghz band and leave the laptop and desktop with second channel? These are all my devices. ---Printers take mininal data. It'd be fine on the 2.4ghz. the desktop/laptop/streamers should be on the 5ghz. 

3 & 4 Your advice has given me a good reason to give the factory reset a try. I don't really want to purchase if this one still has good life remaining. After factory reset, am I correct in that this would be similar to a new installation?----It should I will need to do the reset today around 3 p.m (EST) and hope it's completed by 6 p.m. Zoom conference.  If this a reasonable time frame?  -----Maybe? Depends on your capabilities. If its a job sensitive call, i might hold off until afterwards. Its usually takes me 5-10 minutes but I do this weekly/monthly because I swap devices so much. 

You advice is so helpful. Thank you so very much. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 
Firmware on the router? (not the latest, the number)

What "adapter issues" are you having? Does it not connect? Does it connect but say no internet"

does it connect and say internet but it doesn't work? 

What exactly is going on? We need details since we aren't there to see whats actually happening. 

Message 2 of 9
Rkedonnay
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

What modem do you have? 
Firmware on the router? (not the latest, the number)

What "adapter issues" are you having? Does it not connect? Does it connect but say no internet"

does it connect and say internet but it doesn't work? 

What exactly is going on? We need details since we aren't there to see whats actually happening. 

@plemans My modem is Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 (9/2019 purchase date)

Router firmware number V1.0.1.6.2.1.0.4.1

Adapter issues have been sporadic for past few months; disconnect ; connect with no internet.

FYI I have attributed these issues to my HP laptop adpater but all diagnositcs on HP showed no hardware or driver issues. Now, have these sportic issues with Dell desktop all in one, and smart tv streaming issues.  Speed test indicate very fast, excellent, etc. 

Screen print attached of Netgear Genie data page. 

Thank you for your response

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Have you noticed if there's a difference when connected to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz? or do they both have sporadic issues?
Also, do wired devices have issues or only wireless?

When was the last time the R6400 was factory reset and reinstall? Sometimes old settings can cause issues (from firmware changes) and a full factory reset and reinstall can be beneficial. 

Message 4 of 9
Rkedonnay
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

Have you noticed if there's a difference when connected to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz? or do they both have sporadic issues?
Also, do wired devices have issues or only wireless?

When was the last time the R6400 was factory reset and reinstall? Sometimes old settings can cause issues (from firmware changes) and a full factory reset and reinstall can be beneficial. 

@plemansYes. A cable technician set up the Roku TV on the 5ghz explaining it would have decicated line.  There have been be a couple rare occurrences where TV would loose connection during a show, returning screen to home screen. 

I tried ethernet connections on both laptop and desktop, and those actually were worse. I am wonderfully surprised I been able to have connection for the length of time on this laptop today..

I have not used the factory reset and reinstall on the R6400 primarily I don't feel confident I could recreate the dual separation of the computer, phones, etc. and TV.  The cable technicain who did this was troubleshooting another issue and did this as extra - not part of his call purpose.  

Would you suggest a factory reset before purchasing of new router (R6400 purchased 3/2016)?

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate your time with troubleshooting my issue.  

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@plemansYes. A cable technician set up the Roku TV on the 5ghz explaining it would have decicated line.  There have been be a couple rare occurrences where TV would loose connection during a show, returning screen to home screen. 

I tried ethernet connections on both laptop and desktop, and those actually were worse. I am wonderfully surprised I been able to have connection for the length of time on this laptop today..

I have not used the factory reset and reinstall on the R6400 primarily I don't feel confident I could recreate the dual separation of the computer, phones, etc. and TV.  The cable technicain who did this was troubleshooting another issue and did this as extra - not part of his call purpose.  

Would you suggest a factory reset before purchasing of new router (R6400 purchased 3/2016)?

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate your time with troubleshooting my issue.  

a couple things.

1.You can support multiple devices on the 5ghz band. Its significantly faster than 2.4ghz and is designed for multiple devices. 

2. The "dual seperation" is pretty much already built in. All you're doing is naming the wireless bands with different names (ssid's) so you can choose which one to connect devices to. Its easy to do and part of basic setup. 

3. With the R6400 a factory reset is a decent option. it got quite a few upgrades and old settings can cause issues. I'd try that. 

4. if you did buy a new router you'd have to go through setup anyway. Might as well try it with the old one. I'd hold off on buying a new one yet. the R6400 is a decent router and quite capable. 

5. if this doesn't work, there could be an issue with firmware and I can walk you through installing different firmware. It can occasionally get corrupted or have issues. 

Message 6 of 9
Rkedonnay
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

a couple things.

1.You can support multiple devices on the 5ghz band. Its significantly faster than 2.4ghz and is designed for multiple devices. 

2. The "dual seperation" is pretty much already built in. All you're doing is naming the wireless bands with different names (ssid's) so you can choose which one to connect devices to. Its easy to do and part of basic setup. 

3. With the R6400 a factory reset is a decent option. it got quite a few upgrades and old settings can cause issues. I'd try that. 

4. if you did buy a new router you'd have to go through setup anyway. Might as well try it with the old one. I'd hold off on buying a new one yet. the R6400 is a decent router and quite capable. 

5. if this doesn't work, there could be an issue with firmware and I can walk you through installing different firmware. It can occasionally get corrupted or have issues. 

@plemans 

1 & 2  So by adding multiple devices to the 5ghz band, is it reasonable to move a printer and an iPhone to the 5ghz band and leave the laptop and desktop with second channel? These are all my devices. 

3 & 4 Your advice has given me a good reason to give the factory reset a try. I don't really want to purchase if this one still has good life remaining. After factory reset, am I correct in that this would be similar to a new installation? I will need to do the reset today around 3 p.m (EST) and hope it's completed by 6 p.m. Zoom conference.  If this a reasonable time frame?  

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@plemans 

1 & 2  So by adding multiple devices to the 5ghz band, is it reasonable to move a printer and an iPhone to the 5ghz band and leave the laptop and desktop with second channel? These are all my devices. ---Printers take mininal data. It'd be fine on the 2.4ghz. the desktop/laptop/streamers should be on the 5ghz. 

3 & 4 Your advice has given me a good reason to give the factory reset a try. I don't really want to purchase if this one still has good life remaining. After factory reset, am I correct in that this would be similar to a new installation?----It should I will need to do the reset today around 3 p.m (EST) and hope it's completed by 6 p.m. Zoom conference.  If this a reasonable time frame?  -----Maybe? Depends on your capabilities. If its a job sensitive call, i might hold off until afterwards. Its usually takes me 5-10 minutes but I do this weekly/monthly because I swap devices so much. 

Message 8 of 9
Rkedonnay
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

@plemans 

@plemans Excellent advice.   Once I have completed the reset, I will let you know how it went. 

Again, thank you. I am sincerely grateful for your time and expertise.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7