Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI Problems

Juliec66
Aspirant

WIFI Problems

Just looking for a bit of advice.  I currently have a Virgin Media 3.0 router/hub but the wifi coverage in the house is poor.  I have been reading up on the RAX80-100EUS which I think will cure my wifi problem.  Can anyone help?  I am really not sure if this is the way to solve wifi coverage issues.  Wondering if someone can offer any advice.  Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: WIFI Problems

We'd need more info to help. 

1. what size is your home? 

2. what materials is it made of internally? (certain materials block wifi)

3. how many levels is it? 

These are kind of key as if the router isn't providing coverage because of the size of your home or what its made from, adding another router might not help. 

Message 2 of 5
Juliec66
Aspirant

1. 2200 sq feet
2. Internal walls are wood, plasterboard, brick and breeze block.
3. 2 levels. - ground and first floor
Thank you for your help
Message 3 of 5

@Juliec66 wrote:

I currently have a Virgin Media 3.0 router/hub but the wifi coverage in the house is poor. 

The challenge can be adding one router to another. Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

In your case, putting the Virgin Media 3.0 router/hub into modem only mode, if that is even possible, would turn off the wifi. That may not be a good idea if you use its wifi now.

You could investigate a simple range extender if it is just to spread the wifi.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

your internal walls are also brick? 

Brick can be challenging with getting a signal through. 

any chance you have ethernet ran through the home? 

Or coax? 

You could use ethernet, moca adapters (ethernet over coax), or even powerline devices to get a hardwired connection. 

then you could add as @michaelkenward says extenders in access point mode or even look at a mesh system. 

Reason I say all this is if the brick walls are whats blocking your original signal then simply getting another router is doubtful to help. 

then you'd tend to want things like the extenders or mesh systems that can be hardwired in 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7