Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WIFI Router forcing me to sign-in

bzhayes
Aspirant

WIFI Router forcing me to sign-in

I just moved and having a difficult time setting up my WIFI.  I have it hooked up from my cable modem to my router to my computer.  Everything appears to working fine... internet is working on my computer.  When I go to connect my cell phone to the WIFI (using router defaults), I get a pop-up saying "sign in to WI-FI network."  When I click that it says, "sign in to NETGEARXX" and then it tries to redirect to https://activate.spectrum.net.  It hangs up  trying to connect to that and my phone never connects to the wifi.  I have Spectrum internet, but I am not sure why they have anything to do with this netgear router and the WIFI network.  How would Spectrum know and force a redirect to sign-in?  I have tried rebooting each thing several time.  Please help!

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
bzhayes
Aspirant

Well,  I got WIFI working but I am still not sure what was happening.  My phone was finally able to connect to the activate.spectrum web page through my cellular network.  It took a while because it was trying to connect through the WIFI network.  On that page, I had to enter my account information (phone number and zip code associated with Spectrum).  The Obee modem came up as hardware I needed to activate.  I activated it and everything worked!  This is really bizarre since the Obee modem was already activated and I was accessing internet through it without any problems.  Once I activated it on one wireless device, WIFI worked on all devices (I didn't need to activate on each device).

I'm not sure how but it seems like Spectrum is doing something goofy to force people to buy WIFI though them.  I'm just surprised their is not more information on the internet about it. 

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 19

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Sure sounds like you have a Spectrum Modem/Router? What is the modem/router model number? Do you know if it is bridged?

Your description "When I go to connect my cell phone to the WIFI (using router defaults), I get a pop-up saying "sign in to WI-FI network."  When I click that it says, "sign in to NETGEARXX" and then it tries to redirect to https://activate.spectrum.net.  It hangs up " doesn't make a lot of sense to me which is why I think the above.

What exactly did you do at this time, "When I go to connect my cell phone to the WIFI (using router defaults)"? Normally I'd think you try to select an SSID? Did you select one of the default SSID's on the bottom label of the router or something else? Wondering if the Modem/Router you got from Spectrum is a Netgear?

Is "sign in to NETGEARXX" the actual SSID or did you use XX instead of the number which is normally used?

What do you mean here, "then it tries to redirect to https://activate.spectrum.net.  It hangs up "? How do you know it redirects? Were you using a browser on the Phone? If so, what did you enter for the URL? Hang up? Explain?

How about stating the Router Model and firmware it is running as well?

Message 2 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

The Spectrum Modem is an Ubee model DVW32CB.  I don't know if it is bridged.  There is a WIFI router built into the Spectrum modem, but Spectrum wanted to charge me for it monthly.  That is why I bought the NetGear router, and it was working well at my old place.  I thought maybe the router broker from the move so I bought a new one.  Both are giving me the same problem.

Yes, I select the SSID for this Netgear router (xx replaced with the actual number default) it asks for the password.  I enter it (the default).  It connects and then says, "sign-in to network".  When I select that it says "sign in to NETGEARXX".  Below that the web address pops up for spectrum. There is a load bar which makes it about 3/4 of the way then stops.  The rest of the screen is blank and nothing happens.  There is a dropdown menu with 2 options: (1) do not connect to this network (2) use this network as is.  Neither option helps me connect.

The Netgear router is AC1200 model R6120.  I am not sure what the firmware is but it updated when I plugged it in and stated firmwear is up to date.  Thank you so much to the help!

Message 3 of 19
schumaku
Guru

Reads like a non-activated (or not allowed) cable modem - there is no reason why the Netgear router should (or could!) redirect you to the activation.spectrum.net

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/connecting-your-own-modem-your-computer?redirected=true

Message 4 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@bzhayes wrote:

The Spectrum Modem is an Ubee model DVW32CB.  I don't know if it is bridged.  There is a WIFI router built into the Spectrum modem, but Spectrum wanted to charge me for it monthly. 

I've got Spectrum and if you are NOT paying the Wireless charge, it isn't on your account and the modem/router will not turn it on. Another check would be if you see an SSID from the modem/router. If you only see NETGEARxxx then you are probably OK, although the phone could see other local SSID's as well.

@bzhayes wrote:

Yes, I select the SSID for this Netgear router (xx replaced with the actual number default) it asks for the password.  I enter it (the default). 

Default would be on the lower label on the router, is that what you used (I assumed during setup you never changed it?)?

@bzhayes wrote:

It connects and then says, "sign-in to network".  When I select that it says "sign in to NETGEARXX".  Below that the web address pops up for spectrum. There is a load bar which makes it about 3/4 of the way then stops.  The rest of the screen is blank and nothing happens. 

Do not understand this? So you are prompted TWICE to sign-in to the network?

Let me be clear in what I think you did:

1. Your phone needs to connect to Wifi.
  2. You open the Wifi settings and select an SSID that you know to be your router's SSID.
  3. You enter that SSID's passphrase.
  4. The you see "sign-in to network"?

Can you post a screenshot of this and what happens next? If you are already signed in AND connected, what is this showing on?

Wondering if something is being held within the phone? Have you tried FORGETTING the SSID and then trying to connect again?

Message 5 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Reads like a non-activated (or not allowed) cable modem - there is no reason why the Netgear router should (or could!) redirect you to the activation.spectrum.net

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/connecting-your-own-modem-your-computer?redirected=true

Kurt, I thought the same thing at first.

However OP stated this, "I have it hooked up from my cable modem to my router to my computer. Everything appears to working fine... internet is working on my computer."

That would imply the modem is authorized. When I've had spectrum switch out modems or I exchange them at a store they will not work/connect to the Internet until I called to have them autorized. Only way to get the Internet to work.

OP did come back with the modem/router modem and its SSID's even if it were broadcasting would not be NETGEARXXX.

Going to Spectrum's URL makes no sense, but I have no clue how the OP saw this or when (on what screen)?

Since OP can get to the Internet off the modem/router with a PC I'm also wondering if OP had full capability? Hint was 'moved'? Could the modem/router have been left there? No in service? But if that was the case (and I have heard of Spectrum not turning off service) the modem/router had no clue who was using wired or wireless?

Something doesn't add up?

Message 6 of 19
schumaku
Guru

Hard to say from over here in Switzerland ... what would happen in case Spectrum does see many MAC addresses if e.g. the Netgear router would operate in AP mode on a modem?

Message 7 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Hard to say from over here in Switzerland ... what would happen in case Spectrum does see many MAC addresses if e.g. the Netgear router would operate in AP mode on a modem?

I don't think that Spectrum can tell anything, or even care what MAC Address the modem/router sees? I can change my router out without telling them anything? I just did it. And many people do check to see if they have Internet or not by switching direct to PC.

It is the screen the OP sees after the phone 'thinks' it is logged into the Netgear router that might give a clue here.

In most cases with modem's you can log into it and see what is going on with the URL of 192.168.100.1.

This is what my modem shows as connected:

nterface Parameters Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address LAN Enabled Up 1000(Full) 50:95:51:E4:99:38 CABLE Enabled Up ----- 50:95:51:E4:99:39 MTA Pass Up ----- 50:95:51:E4:99:3A

Yet my router's MAC Address is 50-D4-F7-68-3C-C5 and I can't find it anywhere on the modem pages?

Message 8 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

Thanks so much everyone for the back and forth!  I am somewhat comforted by the fact that people smarter than me are also befuddled by this.  I will try to knock out a couple of the questions asked:

@IrvSp wrote:

Default would be on the lower label on the router, is that what you used (I assumed during setup you never changed it?)?

Yes, I am using all defaults from the label and have not changed anything at this time.

@IrvSp wrote:

Do not understand this? So you are prompted TWICE to sign-in to the network?

Let me be clear in what I think you did:

1. Your phone needs to connect to Wifi.
  2. You open the Wifi settings and select an SSID that you know to be your router's SSID.
  3. You enter that SSID's passphrase.
  4. The you see "sign-in to network"?

Can you post a screenshot of this and what happens next? If you are already signed in AND connected, what is this showing on?

Yes, that is exactly what is happening.  I will get a screen shot this evening when I get home.  I would describe it like trying to connect to a WIFI network at a hotel where you first connect to the SSID and then you need to sign in.  In this case the sign in page never actually comes up.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Message 9 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@bzhayes wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what is happening.  I will get a screen shot this evening when I get home.  I would describe it like trying to connect to a WIFI network at a hotel where you first connect to the SSID and then you need to sign in.  In this case the sign in page never actually comes up.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking and why I'd like to see a screen capture.

When you get home, do this, with the PC directly wired to the router, go to the ROUTER LOGIN page (URL of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 or ROUTERLOGIN.NET, one of those should work) and go to the WIRELESS page and change one of the SSID's (use the 2.4Ghz as all devices should see it) and it's passwor. Then try to connect to that SSID. Although it is highly unlikely I was wondering if you actually were connecting to a different router?

What doesn't seem logical is the wired PC does have the 'challenge' to connect?

Where you lived before, was it also Spectrum? I'm thinking the phone connected to a HOTSPOT which  would present that to you. Another reason why you should FORGET the connection and start over.

Message 10 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

Thanks again so much for the help.  I've tried most of this no avail, but I retried just to verify.  It looks like I can only attach one image at a time, so I will take several posts to get everything up.  Here it is before I connect to the default router setting NETGEAR46.

Message 11 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

After I connect it asks me to sign in

Message 12 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

and here is the sign in screen stalled out trying to connect to spectrum

Message 13 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

I then changed the network's name to 'bob' and get the same result.

Message 14 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

Where you lived before, was it also Spectrum? I'm thinking the phone connected to a HOTSPOT which  would present that to you. Another reason why you should FORGET the connection and start over.

It was Spectrum.  I don't think it was connected to a hotspot because the network I (and several visitors) connected to I had renamed

Message 15 of 19
IrvSp
Master

I used my browser to go to https://activate.spectrum.net/ and it appears to be truly for MODEM ACTIVATION!

So, this is the odd part. You said the PC can do everything? One would expect the same to occur, it goes through the router, and should be presented to the modem/router as the same thing?

If you do go to that link, the first thing is wants is you to verify your account?

So, I for one would call Spectrum and ask why this is happening? I suspect you've got a problem with the phone though. If it can't really get to the Internet, it can't get the the verify site. So that explains the hang.

I would even not rule out the possibility of a router problem here, but I can't see how that would be causing the attempt to verify?

I will also assume the PC is actually connected to the router? Not the Modem/Router? Just wondering if Spectrum had your account locked into your old modem you had in your prior location?

Message 16 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

I will also assume the PC is actually connected to the router? Not the Modem/Router? Just wondering if Spectrum had your account locked into your old modem you had in your prior location?

Yes, the PC is connected to the NetGear router and the router is connected to the Obee (Spectrum) Modem/router so everything is going through the NetGear router and the hard connection to the PC is working fine.

It is not just my phone that cannot connect to WIFI.  My wife's phone and the kids Ipads cannot connect either.  I guess I will have to call Spectrum and see if they will help me.  For more background: originally I connected to WIFI through their modem, when that modem failed I got this current one and couldn't connect to WIFI.  It took an hour on the phone with Spectrum for them to tell me it wasn't working because they now wanted to start charging me $5/month for WIFI.

Message 17 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@bzhayes wrote:

It is not just my phone that cannot connect to WIFI.  My wife's phone and the kids Ipads cannot connect either.  I guess I will have to call Spectrum and see if they will help me.  For more background: originally I connected to WIFI through their modem, when that modem failed I got this current one and couldn't connect to WIFI.  It took an hour on the phone with Spectrum for them to tell me it wasn't working because they now wanted to start charging me $5/month for WIFI.

Yes, that is what they charge for WiFi. Old modem must have had it enabled by mistake. It happens...

Not all modems from them are Wifi capable. I've got Phone as well and have an Arris TM1602AP2 which has voice as well. I've gone through plenty with them too... This modem is a Puma 6 chipset (causes Buffer Bloat) and I've tried getting others that don't have that chipset. They just don't work for me. First they used an Arris Modem/router, a TG1672, and it wasn't bridged and I had 2 sets of Wifi signals. Called and they 'swore' it was bridged. Was told my account doesn't have Wifi and that would have shut it off. Sent a tech and replaced it with the same model. Within a week we had phone problems. Upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 Techincolor (same as the Ubee, just a different vendor). Within a month that was dropping Internet. Replaced, phone problems sprung up. Only reliable TM1602AP2 works well (with all my 3 routers mind you I've had connected to that model).

Since it is more than just one phone, it is possibly the modem/router or even your router (could have been damaged during the move?)? Just don't see how the router could be forcing you to try and Authorize your connection though?

Good luck.

Message 18 of 19
bzhayes
Aspirant

Well,  I got WIFI working but I am still not sure what was happening.  My phone was finally able to connect to the activate.spectrum web page through my cellular network.  It took a while because it was trying to connect through the WIFI network.  On that page, I had to enter my account information (phone number and zip code associated with Spectrum).  The Obee modem came up as hardware I needed to activate.  I activated it and everything worked!  This is really bizarre since the Obee modem was already activated and I was accessing internet through it without any problems.  Once I activated it on one wireless device, WIFI worked on all devices (I didn't need to activate on each device).

I'm not sure how but it seems like Spectrum is doing something goofy to force people to buy WIFI though them.  I'm just surprised their is not more information on the internet about it. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7