WIFI SPEEDS w/different Devices Question

ESCF916
Aspirant

WIFI SPEEDS w/different Devices Question

Hi All,

I am new to the technical side of WIFI and had some questions. I recently bought a Nighthawk RAX120 router and had a few questions below:

*Why is it when I do my speed test on the NightHawk application on my phone, I show high download speeds but when I test those download speeds on my laptop or phone browser thru a third party source it shows significantly lower speeds? The applicaiton will show around 655+ Mbps downloads and the third party website on my laptop / phone browser will show in the 30s -90s Mpbs. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and Samsung Note 9.

*Is my router WiFI 6 capable? 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: WIFI SPEEDS w/different Devices Question

@ESCF916 wrote:

*Why is it when I do my speed test on the NightHawk application on my phone, I show high download speeds but when I test those download speeds on my laptop or phone browser thru a third party source it shows significantly lower speeds?

It seems that the app is not measuring your wifi speed between the phone and the router. It is measuring the wired speed between the router and your Internet service provider.

In other words, it is the same measurement that you can make when using the browser graphical user interface and a wired connection.

Try running the speedtest app on your phone and see what that delivers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
ESCF916
Aspirant

Hey Michael,

Thank you so much for the follow up!

I am currently using the Nighthawk application on my mobile phone. When I run the speed test on my mobile phone app it displays high speeds.

However, when I run the speeds on a 3rd party website on my laptop or a 3rd party website using my mobile phone browser, it is extremely slow.

I called and spoke with a representative from Netgear and that person stated that this is a known issue that people have been brining to their attention.

My concern is am I really getting the speeds that is displaying on my Nighthawk application (higher speeds) or the speeds on the 3rd party test sites (lower speeds). I seem to have connectivity issues commonly and people do complain about my wifi speeds sometimes. 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@ESCF916 wrote:

*Why is it when I do my speed test on the NightHawk application on my phone, I show high download speeds but when I test those download speeds on my laptop or phone browser thru a third party source it shows significantly lower speeds? The applicaiton will show around 655+ Mbps downloads and the third party website on my laptop / phone browser will show in the 30s -90s Mpbs. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and Samsung Note 9.

Let's check what your WiFi clients can achieve under ideal conditions

2012 Macbook Pro -> https://support.apple.com/kb/sp649?locale=en_US Wireless: 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible. Most likely 3x3 (since about 2011 for Apple 802.11n) To check your MacOS system wireless adapter and it's capabilities, go to the Apple Logo in the menu bar and select About this Mac then More Info then System report. Or open Applications then Utilities and then System Info (which give you the same thing as above). Then scroll down to Network and then click on WiFi. To see the PHY link rate, Open Spotlight, type “Network Utility“, and press [Enter]. Select under the “Info” tab, select your WiFi device from the dropdown list, and you’ll see your speed under “Link Speed“.

The maximum link rate (PHY speed) you can achieve using 802.11n on 40 MHz (since about the Galaxy S3/S4), 400ns guard interval, 64-QAM 5/6, is 450 Mbit/s. On 70% efficiecy, these are max 315 Mb/s or something slightly below 40 MB/s.

Conclusion: With the 2012 Macbook Pro you wont win the wireless performance race. It's at least three technology steps behind. No way to get wireless througput anywhere near to what your Internet conection would allow.

Samsung Note 9 -> https://www.anandtech.com/show/13582/samsung-galaxy-note9-performance-review-snapdragon-vs-exynos 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 MU-MIMO (hard to know what's in there - most mobile WiFi adapters are 2x2, run on 40 or 80 MHz bandwidth if you are lucky. No idea if the Sammy Android does show the link rate somewhere.

The maximum link rate (PHY speed) you can achieve using 802.11ac on 80 MHz, 400 ns guard interval, 256-QAM 5/6, is 780 Mbit/s. On 70% efficiency, these are max 546 Mb/s or something around 70 MB/s.

Conclusion: This is about typical hardware WiFi capability one could except from a mobile, up-to-date about one generation back. New ones make use of 802.3ax (WiFi 6) but never in the variants promising Gigabit performance or more. However, the Note 9 is somewhere in the range what your Internet connection can deliver.

Both devices can't make up the peak performance possible of what the RAX120 does promise.

Hard to say why your test numbers (if really MBit/s) are massively below of the already low ideal rates. Interference, distance, whatever.

Yes, the RAX120 is a Wi-Fi 6 device. This won't help much for your 802.11n (MBP) and for the 802.11ac mobile (N9).

Message 4 of 5
ESCF916
Aspirant

GURU!

Thank you so much for completely schooling me! LOL. I really appreciate it. I had a feeling my hardware wasn't up to par with what is being offered with my new router. There maybe some type of interference as well. Thank you for the detailed info. I'm learning as I go.

Looks like its time for me to upgrde my laptop soon!

@schumaku 
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E