Re: WIFI connection slows down dramatically after a router reboot

dberroth
Aspirant

WIFI connection slows down dramatically after a router reboot

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me with my router issue. When I reboot my router I'm getting 100+mbps which is great. I speedtest it not even 10 minutes later and it's already slowed down to 40mbps. Is this usually a sign a router is going bad? I don't mind having to reset it here and there but it seems like the router isn't performing as it should. My current firmware version is V1.0.9.6_1.2.19. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi dberroth,

What is the speed when connected wired to the router?

Message 2 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi dberroth,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 7
dberroth
Aspirant

Hi James. Thanks for your response! Sorry life has been a little hectic as I have a four week old. I will get to your question tonight with a response. I appreciate your willing to help and sorry again for not getting back sooner.

Message 4 of 7
dberroth
Aspirant

So I ran the test tonight. I was getting 175mb/sec down and 27 up on my phone right next to router. I hardwired my laptop and was getting 182mb a sec down. 

I do have my router in my basement in the corner. I wonder if this is just a case of signal strength? I thought I would be OK with this router but maybe going through the walls under the stairs is still too much for any router out there. Any thoughts is appreciated. 

Message 5 of 7
dberroth
Aspirant

Sorry I should have added the only caveat to that is when I'm upstairs I do still have full bars on my Wi-Fi devices for what it's worth. Is it possible to still have full strength in connectivity but loss of speed?
Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi dberroth,

That could be possible. Distance may affect the performance for wireless. You have to consider as well interference in the network. Try playing the channels of the network.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements