Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: !!!!!WIFI incorrect password SOLVED!!!!

Same thing here also. I have tried all possible ways even bricked and unbricked my router. I downgraded the firmware from 1.2.0.42 down to 1.2.0.12 and finally it kept on running for like half year. However, it started to drop my 2.4GHz with invalid password again. I think the bug is when you have more than 20 devices connect to 2.4GHz channel. I have 26 and I heard ppl have the same issue with 30 devices. This is an expesive nightmare hawk. Also only provide 90 days phone support. I wonder how come this company can keep running business by providing junk. I currently have many netgear devices. However, I am slowly moving to other brands. Everything made by Netgear I never consider since last year.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

For my router the problem was using aggregate ports. So for me the soulution was turning it off.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 27 of 88
Highlighted
Star

Where is that setting?
Message 28 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

Advanced > Advanced Setup > Ethernet Port Aggregation > Disable.

Message 29 of 88
Highlighted
Star

And you left on Enable Smart Connect?
Message 30 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

yes i did

Message 31 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok So how would one fix the issue then? I cant log into my router as My wifi is now not working and need to be connected to the damn wifi in order to be connected to the router???? I swear who ever designed this interface is mentally challenged! I have tried to connect with my phone but my phone wont connect "keeps giving me the incorrect password bull**bleep**" Literally trash customer servace that charge you to use their prodect that you already payed for **bleep** this company 

Message 32 of 88
Highlighted

Try to reset the router , there is a reset button; just press it with a pin or paper clip for aprox. 30 seconds it will reset to factory .After a few minutes you should see the netgear wifi (with no password)then try to go thru the set up again. Good luck .
Message 33 of 88
Highlighted
Star

You will either need to plug a network cable into it and reach it via your computer or factory reset the router.  I suggest making a backup of your configu so if you need to do this again you can recover faster.

Message 34 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

I am having the same issue where the router will not accept connections on the 2.4 Ghz band.  I get "Incorrect Password" on my iPhone or on IoT devices.  Called NetGear and did troubleshooting but no resolution to this problem.  NetGear is sending me a replacement router but I do not believe that this will fix the issue.  NetGear stated that they have not seen this problem but I have found many instances of the same issue while searching the Web.  I have about 20 devices (IoT) that connect only on 2.5Ghz.  Seriously considering dumping NetGear and replacing the router with an ASUS or other product.  I will try the replaqcement router to see if the problem is resolved first.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 35 of 88
Highlighted
Luminary

I recently have the issue again. I found out the issue was after I setup QoS. Once it's on, even you turn it off, the router starts behaving this way. I then updated to the latest firmware and turned off QoS. However, as usual as expected, all newer firmware have the same issue(see my previous post). Later downgraded back to 1.2.0.12 again. Since the QoS was off and reinstalled the firmware, everything seemed to reset. So far, my router has not given me this issue for 2 weeks. I am using a R6700v2.

Message 36 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

Older firmware versions no longer posted on NetGear website.

Message 37 of 88
Highlighted
Luminary

It should be there. There is a arrow down button(depending on which page you are).

Message 38 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

Thank you.  I could not see what was right in front of me.  Will be trying your recommendation later today.

Thanks again.

Message 39 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

Unfortunately I could not return my router since it was the only version available for my ISP ultimate service. I have the expensive Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 which is now serving as a basic router without the wifi. I thought it was a good choice since it had the wifi option. I too continued to have to reset multiple devices because the connections kept droping giving "Incorrect Password". I decided to shell out another $350 for an ASUS wireless router AC3200 and was very satisfied the minute it was setup. Wish I would have bought it first with a basic modem. The ASUS router has so many features that I could potentially use. Now I don't have the issue of having to reset multiple wireless devices everyday. I can't say enough how happy I am now with this ASUS router. It works without any worries of connections getting dropped. Doesn't seem that Netgear cares about this ongoing issue for several years even with such expensive devices. I've left purchasing Netgear devices once before. This time I'm NEVER purchasing another Netgear device.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 40 of 88
Highlighted
Initiate

I am experiencing the "incorrect passwrod" problem, but I do not have Smart Connect enabled, so this is not what is causing the problem.

Message 41 of 88
Highlighted
Luminary

I do not think it's Smart Connect feature issue, but it can be part of the issue. The issue seems coming from multiple areas. I am on a very old firmware which does not have Smart Connect feature and QoS has been turned off from another firmware version. Please check my previous posts. My R6700v2's 2.4GHz now still works fine wihout giving me incorrect password issue.

Message 42 of 88
Highlighted
Tutor

The only solution I can come up with is dumping my netgear and buying Linksys
Now I’m fine With the same ssid and password
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 43 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

Netgear sent me a replacement router for testing.  I installed this router and tested the problem of the router rejecting connections due to bad passwords.  I tested this replacement router and have not issues with devices connectiong on the 2.4 ghz band.  Note that I have not turned on QOS nor SmartConnect.  I had previously tried resetting my previously purchased router to factory defaults and disabling QOS.  I have never used SmartConnect.  I also downgraded the firmware to the "R8000-V1.0.4.12_10.1.46" version of firmware.  At that version of firmware I experienced no issues.  I then upgraded the firmware to the latest build and the problems returned.

I am hesitant to turn on QOS at this point on the replacement router as I am confident that the problem would probably return.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 44 of 88
Highlighted
Luminary

Looks like the older version firmware that was released on 02/02/2018 resolved the issue for R8000.

I am using the R6700v2. The old firmware resolved the issue was released on 12/20/2017.

Message 45 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

UPDATE ON MY TESTING:

After two days of testing the replacement router with latest formware and QOS and Smart Connect tuened off (never turned on with this router and firmware) the problem returned where I could not connect my iPhone or an IoT device (Weimos D1 Mini Rover 32 bit).  Rebooting the router fixed the problem temproarily.

Message 46 of 88
Highlighted
Tutor

I had the same problem as well and now have it again. I had an r7000 that I had to disconnect the auto connect functionality. When my r7000 just completely quit on me...I thought/hoped those issues would be resolved with newer tech so I purchased the r8000. It was so long ago, I forgot about this issue when I purchased the r8000. Now I am back to that situation. I have to go reconfigure the settings or send it back. Only had it for a couple of weeks and it is a pain already.
Message 47 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

If you recently purchased a new router and is having the same issue I recommend returning it and purchasing one from another vendor. I had the same issue and headaches for weeks attempting to consolidate my cable modem to one unit. My iOS devices continued to drop wi-fi daily and suddenly giving "incorrect password" error. I had to disable the wireless portion and purchsed a wireless router from ASUS and didn't have to worry about constantly having to reset my devices. This ASUS router works so good that I have to check on it just to make sure it's real because I literally don't have nothing to do because it works.Now I have a $400 router just doing basis function because it's required for the service I purchased from my ISP. I wish I would have purchased a basic modem. Almost $800 tied up now because i had to purchase another wireless router because Netgear doesn't seem to care about fixing this issue.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 48 of 88
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for that info! I am going to return it and try to get another brand. I love the router but speeds but the connection issues are too much of a headache.
Message 49 of 88
Highlighted
Initiate

Update:
I switched from Comcast to AT&T (fiber) and the password problem is gone with WiFi. Before going to AT&T, Comcast came out and put in a new modem + router combo. I never had the password problem with Comcast's modem + rotuer combo. Having gone through what I did, here are some takeaways that may help others with the password problem:

1. WiFi strength may have been a factor. I only got the password problem when my iOS devices were far away from the router. When Comcast put in the new modem + rotuer combo, the router/modem was closer to my home office. I never had the passwrod problem, BUT my Internet connected droped at least twice an hour, every hour.
  2. The Arris SB6190 may have been dieing? I only had the passwrod problem when the Arris SB6190 was part of the network. I kept my Nightwawk rotuer and had not password problems when using the Comcast modem+rotouer and I have had no problems with my new AT&T network, whcih uses the AT&T modem+rotuer in place of the Arris SB6190. My Nighthwak is now on the 2nd floor and I can connect to WiFo via the Nighthawk or via AT&T's router and I do not get any password errors.
  3. My Arris SB6190 did have a firmware update avaiallbe to it, but I didn't install it. 
  4. I could not get the Nighthawk router settings to reset - no matter what I did, the previous SSID and passwrod persiseted, I reset the router and modem and the same SSID always came back.

If you have a Arris SB6190 and/or Nighthawk router, and you are having hte passwrod problem, I think getting a complete factory reset will fix the passwrod problem, but I was not able to test that due to switchign hardware and ISP.

Message 50 of 88