Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: !!!!!WIFI incorrect password SOLVED!!!!

How do I disable?
Message 51 of 88
Highlighted
Initiate

This topic says it's resolved but it appears to still be an issue. Is NetGear weighing in on this at all?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 52 of 88
Highlighted
Luminary

No~ They DO NOT care. Your device only has 3-month phone support and the support guys are also lack of knowledage. The issue is their firmware. As I mentioned before I downgraded to a very old version and it worked still. I am waiting for deals to get Mesh network devices but for sure Netgear products are in my blacklist forever. I actually have multiple Netgear products but since I have issues with my Nighthawk, I filter out Netgear from all my shopping search.

Message 53 of 88
Highlighted

This would be almost a year since 1st reported and still no solution?
I wish I saw this before spending all that money on a worthless R8000. This is clearly not a priority for Netgear.
Anyone know how to go about a refund?
Message 54 of 88
Highlighted
Apprentice

I'm seeing the same behaviour with my RAX80, however, here it was not SmartConnect that fixed the issue.

Philips Smart TVs are the worst affected but also, several of my Sonos speakers couldnt connect & also my security cams.

I performed a factory reset & disabled the AX (Wifi6) functionality & then the TVs and Sonos worked again without any changes.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 55 of 88
Highlighted
Initiate

Has it for about 3 weeks, works fine for the 1st week or so. The router is operating in AP mode & SmartRouting is disabled. Then last week 2.4GHz devices wouldn't connect (5GHz is fine), when try to connect via iPhone for testing purposes, it gives the invalid password error. I power cycle just the router and all my 2.4GHz devices reconnect again automatically (I didnot power cycle the devices, just the router). It works fine for another week and the same problem occurr again. Again, I power cycle the router and it fixed the connection issue.
After the last power reset (yesterday), I disabled the 'Beam Forming' feature. Hope this fix the 2.4GHz connection issue.
If it doesn't, my next plan is to reduce the 2.4GHz speed (right now it's at the up to 600Mbps option). Keeping my fingers cross.

Message 56 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

I bought myself a $300 dollar router/modem in amazon c7800. Top of the line router/cable combo. I am tired of it and the firmware auto updates from the cable company. The problem with the password happens to me at least twice a day. Will buy top of the line linksys
Message 57 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello

Thanks for posting this as I am having the same issue with my iPhone. Odd as my mac has connected fine. However I can't find Smart Connect in my router's settings?

Someone else in this thread seemed to think this is an issue generally with this router that Smart Connect doesn't exit, in which case I don't know what to do.

I have an iPhone 8 on latest ios, surely it should work with this router?? 

I am not techy in anyway. But this is really annoying so any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 58 of 88
Highlighted

The easiest way is using the Nighthawk app ; open the app go to “WiFi settings” the first option is Smart Connect . Good luck when I had your router model it didn’t work for me . I believe that router is defective. I did upgrade to another Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3000 and I don’t have any more issues . Anyways make sure you are in the latest Firmware version for your router .
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 59 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can confirm it’s due to too many devices connected - only noticing with 2.4 band. A long time ago I turned smart connect off (speeds were unpredictable and frustrating) and have been fine until I recently added many smart switches, cameras, etc to my home. What temporarily fixes is changing the 2.4ghz band password then changing back.

Going to switch brands I guess because it’s way too frustrating and appears they don’t care. Probably try asus or amplifi mesh.
Message 60 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

I would definitely switch brands. Unfortuntely I could not get rid of my Netgear C7800 because it's used as my cable modem. I bought a $400 router just to have to reduce it wo a $150 wired router. I purchased a $350 Asus router (RT-AC3100) and was able to connect over 10 wireless devices. I don't have to worry about company coming over and not being able to access the router wirelessly. The Asus router works so good that it's as if it's not even there because it works without issues like it should. I've had the Asus router for almost a year now. This issue has been going on for so long and Netgear does not even care to address the issue but continue to produce $$$ devices passing along the same issue. As soon as my ISP approves another device for my interner service I will be ditching this Netgear device. I don't even want it on my network.

Message 61 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

I ageee I have the same asus router
Message 62 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

I had the same issue until I replaced mine with an ASUS recently.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 63 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

This does not solve the issue for me. I have never had smart connect enabled and I still get the incorrect password.
Message 64 of 88
Highlighted
Luminary

I finally am happy with my wifi after I replacing Netgear to eero. I am selling all my netgear products now and I have 2 more devices left. I have been using many different brands but only Netgear has the issue. I will never buy Netgear products except some simple items such as switches. Netgear's support is bad, product is bad but products from them are expensive. 

@Groupaloop wrote:
This does not solve the issue for me. I have never had smart connect enabled and I still get the incorrect password.

Message 65 of 88
Star

I have since change out all of my routers also.  I now use the Netgear Orbi. i have not seen any issues with this router and i have been running it for almost a year.

Message 66 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have never activated Enable Smart Connect on my X6 R8000 yet the 2.4 always had incorrect password issues at random. Power Cycle the router is the only way to connect. This Router Model has too many bugs that need a fix. I use TP Link that seem to be more reliable and much cheaper.
Message 67 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

How do I disable it if I can’t connect to it? I don’t have a computer
Message 68 of 88
Highlighted

Download the Netgear app for your router model (Nighthawk ) it will walk you through to connect to the router .
Message 69 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

I too have found the fix. This premium model Netgear router is not even 90 days old yet, and already it has been intermittently very sluggish, dropping the signal, dropping internet connection, and constantly ticking me off! Those days are fortunately and happily behind me now! The fix was so simple and It was right in front of me the whole time! I mean literally right in front of me, I found the permanent solution in a Target sales ad of all places! The fix turned out to be a google mesh WiFi system! After 18 years  of very expensive netgear routers both at home and at work, they have finally lost me. This nighthawk has been a complete and total let down! I've had problem after problem with this so called premium WiFi router and I've come to the conclusion that it's nothing more than an overpriced piece of junk, my new Google WiFi triple node mesh system completely romps all over the netgear nighthawk, and now I'm happy as a clam!  By the way, I've got a slightly used netgear nighthawk X6 R8000 for sale if anyone is interested, Good luck to you all!

Message 70 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

please help. I got a new iPad and new Apple TV in a week and it seems to have shut down my whole extended, even on our phones and other devices, 

if anyone has a solution please let me know. Only have WiFi in half my house. Considering just buying another brand and hoping that works 

Message 71 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

Buy another brand. Netgear does not seem to care about resolving this issue in ANY of their hardware. I purchased a router from ASUS and haven't has any issues since.

Message 72 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

First off, I have the RAX35 Wifi6 Router, NOT the Rax40. But Netgear support is now so terrible, they don't even have their own latest models listed in the model recommendations drop down.

Second, I'm having the password issue everyone else is having. When I go to the logs, I see this error, if anyone can help decode it.

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 86:9e:0d:de:0a:24, Mon,Mar 16,2020 15:36:20

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 73 of 88
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same issue- the 2.4GHz network only accepts the valid password *sometimes*. I noticed this all started when adding more lights which only work @ 2.4Ghz. So I suspect what others here suggest is true- there is some threshold of # of 2.4Ghz connections and once reached, this nightmare starts. And the threshold is low - I presently have 25 devices and I can't connect more. In a modern household, that is like 10% of what is needed!

And what a crazy way to tell the users they hit a threshold- instead of "Max connections exceeded" or something, it says "invalid password" which sends us off on goose-chases.

Message 74 of 88
Highlighted
Guide

Unfortunately I have replaced my NetGear R-8000 with an ASUS router and no longer have the issue.  I have about 35 devices on the 2.4 Ghz band with no issues.  NetGear appears to not recognize the issue.

Message 75 of 88