Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted

Re: !!!!!WIFI incorrect password SOLVED!!!!

I’m suddenly having this problem.  My router is not recognizing or accepting my password.  I have had Smart Connect off, so that was not the solution.  What a pain!  Any other ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 76 of 91
Highlighted
Luminary

What I did was I bought a new one from another brand. I will never buy Netgear devices unless simple unmanaged switches.
Message 77 of 91
Highlighted
Guide

In my experience, I encountered the issue as I added more devices to my network.  I am building a home automation system and have many sensors and devices on the 2.4 Ghz band.  I am disappointed with NetGear support and their lack of any intelligent responses.  Unfortunately the only solution is to replace your router with another brand.  I am using an AUSU RT3200 and have no problems.  I am running about 48 total devices on my network and of those about 25 are on the 2.4 Ghz band.  Most home automation devices do not support the 5 Ghz band.  I have sensors, cameras, and computers/tablets/phones on my network.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 78 of 91
Highlighted
Guide

If you can purchase  new one from another vendor such as Asus or TPLink. I've posted hre when I first got my Cable Modem which I can't return due to it's type. Had to buy an additional router because the wireless portion of my netgear router became useless out of the box. Very expensive router downgraded to just a modem because netgear doesn't seem to care about the problems its customers are having with all of their wireless products. Once I purchased an additional wireless router problem solved.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 79 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

I tried this weekend to configure a second wireless router to boost the number my WIFI 2.4GHz devices from 32 (I only get 25) . Which is a crazy low number. This *password error* is really a # of devices exceeded error. Another glitch in the router firmware.

It didn't work, still monkeying with it though....

Trying to create a second 2.4GHz network:

I plugged router #2 from one of the 4 ports (not the WAN port) into one of the 4 on the R8000. I named the second wireless network a different name. Network 1 is 192.168.1.1 , the new one 192.168.2.1. I'd hoped to connect my 25 lights to the .2 router.

Network #2 does show up. I can connect to it. But oddly, when I tell the PC to connect, it immediately errors, saying it cannot access router #2 home page. I don't know why it would try to access ANY page- all I'm doing is trying to connect.. I don't even have a browser open.

Odd that.

So far no joy. If anyone has done this please post your config!

Message 80 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

Going to help everyone not have expensive paper weights. I talked to netgear and after months of dealing with this issue, one support guy told me the newest firmware should have fixed this issue.
HE HAD ME RE-UPLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE 1.0.4.46 which was already updated. He said sometimes it can get corrupted.
IT WORKED!
I don’t know if this is really a fix, but it’s working right now. I’ll update in a week or so. Hopefully it doesn’t have the same issues, hopefully I can report good news. I run a lot of devices and smart home hubs in my house, so if it’s gonna have this issue, it will happen to me again.
Hope this helps!
Message 81 of 91
Highlighted
Star

Thanks for this update I’ll give it a try. I also tried DD-WRT and advanced tomato and they exhibited the same behavior.
Message 82 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've been fighting this problem for a couple of weeks, and finding this post helped. I was just about to reinstall the latest firmware on my Nighthawk r8500 when I revisited the Smart Connect settings in the Wireless Setup. Sure enough the passwords for 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 networks were different. This was obviously because once you choose Smart Connect it does not let you even touch the 5GHz-2 password and pops up a dialog box telling you to back up off the attempt.

So using the web interface, I deselected the Smart Connect checkbox, edited the 5GHz-2 password to exactly match the 5GHz-1 password, then rechecked the Smart Connect checkbox and clicked Apply.  It worked!!! My devices, including my IOS ones, stopped having the incorrect WiFi password problem and connected in less than a second!

Of course with programming this sloppy, YMMV...

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 83 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have tried Nighthawk AX6 and Nighthawk mesh routers/satellites and even turning off the smart connect did not work! I also had to disable AX mode because my notebook would never see the SSID.
The thing I did notice is that if the router does not have internet connection then several apple products would get the incorrect password problem. That leads me to believe that some authentication requires internet... why? Is Netgear sending this data to their servers?!!
I dont think it was Cox that was the source of the internet connect issues, it was the router. I've had to reset it several times over the last few days. I have never had a router this unreliable before. My wife said to return it since it was certainly not an upgrade over the existing router.

I have used Netgear products for residential and commercial applications for years but this recent set of products has me taking them off my recommended list.
Message 84 of 91
Aspirant

What PC? I'm using an iPad.

Message 85 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

You are 10000% correct, the issue with IOS saying "incorrect password" stems from enabling smart connect.  Its insane that Netgear hasn't fixed this problem by now and so long as it exists I don't recommend their products to friends and family.

Message 86 of 91
Highlighted
Guru

@Billhenrylg wrote:
I have tried Nighthawk AX6 and Nighthawk mesh routers/satellites and even turning off the smart connect did not work! I also had to disable AX mode because my notebook would never see the SSID.

This is not related to Smart Connect: Bring your notebook wireless adapter (most likley an Intel device!) driver to a recent/current version. The vendors - as well as corporate IT in case - are often lazy with introducing current drivers in thier update feeds. Not a Netgear problem at all. Try the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant ... 

Message 87 of 91
Highlighted

@John66 wrote:

I have searhed for this solution for over a year.  not one post was even close to a solution.

Symptom:

when connecting to wifi the device reports an incorrect password. 

Testing

I have done a lot of testing and can reproduce this error every time.

I have been able to reproduce this issue in router mode and AP mode.

these things all failed

• changing password on router and device
  • factory resetting device
  • using a working ios device to setup a new ios device
  • trying to attach a device that was brand new to the network
  • factory reset router and re configure.

Solution:

The simple solution to this is uncheck Enable Smart Connect. When this is enabled its hit or miss on a working WiFi.

Remarks:

if you connect all your devices to 1 SSID and then enable this function the devices will stay connected.  if you reset your wifi connection the device will prompt for incorrect password again. I have seen posts about this issue on all different router versions so i beleive this is an issue with any NetGear router that supports the Smart Connect feature.

having solved this issue for you NetGear now fix the problem.  it appears that this has gone on for years and nobody has fixed it yet.

My router is a NetGear X6 R8000.  its an older model but i dont belive this is a model specific issue.

This worked for me, until it didn't. Now I'm having trouble again. Going to try turning QoS off to see if that fixes it.

Message 88 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same problem with my router.  Contacted Netgear today for this problem.  I wanted a new unit because it has 9 months of warranty left.  Since the 90 day warranty was out. Tech support wanted $139 to fix the problem.  She said she could could fix in two minutes.  But I don't have $139 to give them.  They will not replace it until I pay them the money.  That is a crop of crap!  I guess I will just have to just reboot the router when it happens. 😡

Message 89 of 91
Highlighted

What ultimately fixed it for me was turning off WPA3. The fact that that worked is troubling.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 90 of 91
Highlighted
Star

Are there 14 of us who are having the problem?
We could each chip in $10.
I find it hard to believe they can fix it in 2 min.
Message 91 of 91