!!!!!WIFI incorrect password SOLVED!!!!

CyberISSO
Guide

Re: !!!!!WIFI incorrect password SOLVED!!!!

Anything is possible but I tried 2 different R800 router with various versions of firmware and the only thing that fixed the problem was an ASUS AC3200 replacement router.  I jumped throught the hoops with NetGear Tech Support and could not resolve the issue.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 101 of 121
ohaye
Aspirant

oh these bloody incorrect password issues

I like the solution of throwing all your netgear equipment out of the window

I also heard that netgear is rebranding their nighthawk line to a new name: **bleep**EHAWK

Message 102 of 121
ohaye
Aspirant

their new name is SHI7EHAWK - they bleep'd it in the above post

and their support, totally breaks the EU Consumer Law, this might be all part of the bigger plan, plant these bugs after 90 days, squeeze the dolla out of you

I smell a class action law suit coming up!

Message 103 of 121
archetype
Tutor

Out of nowhere I started experiencing all sorts of problems connecting to my 2.4gHz network.  I couldn't connect my iPhone, then I couldn't connect smart lights.  Things would intermittently work and then not. I tried all the fixes I could find online: WMM, QoS, rebooting the router, you name it.

What actually happened was I exceeded the number of devices that could connect on one band of the router.  What isn't obvious (I had to do a LOT of research to find this) is you can only have 32 devices connected on one band.  For my model, the R7450, I have 2 bands: 2.4gHz and 5gHz.  I was exceeding the number of devices trying to connect on the 2.4gHz band meaning whatever most recently tried would fail, and it could be different devices each time.

A easy way to see if this is the problem: log into your router and go to Basic->Attached Devices.  If either of those lists (2.4gHz or 5gHz) is at 32 devices, no more devices can connect.

In my case, I moved a number of devices from 2.4gHz to 5gHz and as soon as I did, everything worked fine.  I really hope this helps someone else, too.

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 104 of 121
Glgrizz
Aspirant

I’m so glad you mentioned this. It’s possible this could be the cause of my issue. I have 36 devices and 5 of them are on the 5GHz. The router supports 32 devices on each band. I need to move more of them off 2GHz. I can’t believe I missed that. Thanks!
Message 105 of 121
SutoJL
Star

Is this any different for the R8000?
How does this expensive router only support 32 devices on each band?
Message 106 of 121
archetype
Tutor

The following seems to indicate that 32 is a maximum number per band for all Netgear devices. This seems to fall in line with what other routers do as well.

https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-clients-can-you-connect-wirelessly-to-a-NETGEAR-router

Note this is connected simultaneously. If you have devices powered down or disconnected they won’t count.
Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 107 of 121
Cal4210
Aspirant

Ok so how do I disable smart connect on my router?
Message 108 of 121
Ridley1
Aspirant

Login to the router through your web browser.  Click wireless, and they'll be a section for Smart Connect and its a simple checkbox to enable/disable it.

That said, my issues with this feature seem to have gone away?  I don't know why but I have a theory... i don't want to test the theory and risk things not working again. 

Theory:

I think if you were to use smart connect and make a new SSID that has never been seen or used on any of your devices it might work? When I was debuggin this on my iphone i would tell it to remove/forget a given SSID and rejoin it and the problem would remain.  Might sound crazy but I feel llike the iphone is still "caching" or "remembering" something about that network profile and so that won't work? 

Message 109 of 121
Max4711
Aspirant

Sorry, to involve. Had same issue. It isn't a specific Netgear problem. Solved by limiting the the bandwidth on your 5G WiFi from automatic or 20-80Mhz to 20Mhz.
Also, guess you know that, for performance check the traffic load per channel and change the channel. Channel 6 is usually overloaded.
Message 110 of 121
Honest
Aspirant

You are absolutely wrong. You did not solve anything. If you turn to manny radios on it starts acting up.
Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 111 of 121
Expertidea
Aspirant

Wasted days of r&d on this router as it is unreliable as there is a limit on the number of wifi devices connected to each band, and its just a few in number, so bought a new TP link router with no issues in the last few months.
Message 112 of 121
SutoJL
Star

Same here made the switch back to my AirPort Extreme a while ago and recently went for a TPLink Deco X60 and did a wired back haul. Blissful. I will never buy another Netgear product.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 113 of 121

@Expertidea wrote:
...there is a limit on the number of wifi devices connected to each band, and its just a few in number

For the benefit of anyone who turns up here seeking help, that's an "industry" thing. Regardless of the brand, routers with the same specs will support the same number of clients.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 114 of 121
SutoJL
Star

That is absolutely not true.

Message 115 of 121
GabboCH
Apprentice

This is 100% an RAX problem & is not the same for all other routers.
Whilst "phsycial" max number of connections might be a chipset/protocol limit, the RAX is unable to cope with multiple connections & smart connect doesn't work.

My RAX80 could not maintain 2.4G connections (the complete band would go missing).
I bought a EX8000 extender and put it in exactly the same location with the same SSID & SmartConnect enabled.
I've not had any network problems since and have at least 10 more smart devices now than with the RAX80.

The RAX is clearly flawed, Netgear obviously know it but don't know how or can't fix it.
To admit a problem would mean they'd have to replace many units so its better to say nothing and try to make people think they arent able to configure the right settings.
Message 116 of 121

@GabboCH wrote:

The RAX is clearly flawed....

Plenty of people would agree with that sentiment.

Read more in the appropriate part of this community:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 117 of 121
CyberISSO
Guide

@Expertidea:   Not true.  I replaced my R8000 with the same specs and have over 40 devices on the 2.4 radio.

Message 118 of 121
nigelscicluna98
Aspirant

Kuccarda123

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 119 of 121
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

@GabboCH wrote:
This is 100% an RAX problem & is not the same for all other routers.
Whilst "phsycial" max number of connections might be a chipset/protocol limit, the RAX is unable to cope with multiple connections & smart connect doesn't work.

My RAX80 could not maintain 2.4G connections (the complete band would go missing).
I bought a EX8000 extender and put it in exactly the same location with the same SSID & SmartConnect enabled.
I've not had any network problems since and have at least 10 more smart devices now than with the RAX80.

The RAX is clearly flawed, Netgear obviously know it but don't know how or can't fix it.
To admit a problem would mean they'd have to replace many units so its better to say nothing and try to make people think they arent able to configure the right settings.

I also tried using a RAX80 as an access point with disappointing results.

I recently replaced the RAX80 with an ethernet switched hub, and left it to the upstairs RAX120 to cover the whole house. All the connections are better and more stable now. Asus WiFi routers are designed from the ground up to function as a mesh, but the RAX routers from Netgear are clearly not up to that particular task.

Those expensive Enterprise-grade access points (such as gets used at offices, schools, etc.) seem to pass off to each other seamlessly. Asus routers (by third hand reports, I've never tried them myself) seem to work well as an ad hoc mesh system.

This makes me wonder about the other consumer-grade routers. Which brands are good at it and which are bad at acting like a mesh system?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 120 of 121
UnhappyRouter
Aspirant

My router has been allowing partial passwords and not accepting actual correct passwords.

'it's been dropping devices very often about midnight and has been mostly apple products but not all.

the smart connect feature has been blamed but while shutting it off doesn't make the problem go away it does make it less frequent.

tried their defender type product had to shut that down made things worse.

checked the app many times clearly shows correct pass word but a chopped version works

the remote access is random

this is incomprehensible failure and I'm really tired of less than helpful assistance

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 121 of 121
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements