Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WLAN access rejected: incorrect security with Canon printer

Mattskold
Aspirant

WLAN access rejected: incorrect security with Canon printer

Hi,

I've seen similar questions in previous threads but I can't find a solid solution. I just bought a Canon PIXMA iX6820 and I'm only considering connecting it wirelessly. I understand I can use USB and Ethernet but that's not an option (if you don't believe an initial Ethernet setup will make the wireless work when disconnecting the Ethernet cable). During the setup of the printer, it cannot be found. I started searching and finally looked at my router's log and realized it's rejecting access to my new printer. I don't use MAC filters and I've also tried to give the printer a dedicated IP address. However, even if the printer is "blocked" it still shows up as an attached device. 

I have updated all firmeware to the latest (today) on my router. 

Thank you in advance.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Mattskold
Aspirant

Re: WLAN access rejected: incorrect security with Canon printer

Thanks for your feedback but I don't believe that is (actually was now) the issue. In the process of setting the printer up it was never allowed to the network. All the setup was done on the computer (no screen on the printer) and it failed to find it, never prompted to give WiFi password. After a lot of research yesterday I found a way of using WPS with a PIN code from the printer and I used the WPS wizard in the router to allow it to the network. After that, everything works well.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The "incorrect security" error means that the printer doesn't have the correct Wi-Fi password. Go back and re-enter it into the printer. Wi-Fi passwords are case sensitive, so be sure you enter lower and uppercase letters correctly.
Message 2 of 3
Mattskold
Aspirant

Thanks for your feedback but I don't believe that is (actually was now) the issue. In the process of setting the printer up it was never allowed to the network. All the setup was done on the computer (no screen on the printer) and it failed to find it, never prompted to give WiFi password. After a lot of research yesterday I found a way of using WPS with a PIN code from the printer and I used the WPS wizard in the router to allow it to the network. After that, everything works well.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7