Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WLAN access rejected: incorrect security

IsaacS
Tutor

I am new to the community but a 20+ year IT professional.  I recently bought a 7800 for my home to get better throughput for my gigabit internet, and after enjoying its performance, I turned on the Wifi, eliminated my old gear, and added a second Nighthawk in AP Mode to cover my house.

I am having an issue with my cell phone where the WiFi seems to drop pretty often. Most notably, this happens when I am using an audio communication app like WhatsApp or MS Teams.  Correlating errors can be found at the exact same times these happen, and the errors say:

It then includes the MAC address of my phone.  Usually this error would indicate an incorrect setting or password on the client device, but since it eventually sorts itself out, I am going to guess that is not the case.  I have deleted the WiFi network on my phone (even did a full reset of wireless through the Android OS), rebooted the equipment here, and so on.

I don't think it is specific to a single access point - both show the errors at differing times.  This tells me I am most likely connecting to both devices, but unfortunately the admin portal doesn't show which AP I am connecting to (both just show me all devices connected on my home network).

I am running firmware version V1.0.2.82, which according to the portal, is the latest version.  Any ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: WLAN access rejected: incorrect security

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?
You put 7800 but r7800 in signature. What router do you actually have because theres a r7800 and a C7800

Message 2 of 8
IsaacS
Tutor

It is an R7800 (sorry, I didn't realize there were other 7800's by this vendor).  The full product number name, per the configuration portal, is 

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800.

The modem is the on Century Link provided - ZYXEL C3000Z.  I haven't much to set it up other than configure the LAN address (creating a separate network) and disabling Wifi.  The current setup is:

C3000Z acts as my internet gateway
First R7800 has it's internet port connected directly to the LAN port of hte C3000Z.  This device acts as the "Master" in my LAN configurarion, hosting DHCP and the Wifi Configuration.
I have a Cisco SG200-26 acting as the backbone for all ethernet ports in my home, and this device is connected to that main R7800.
I have a secondary R7800 covering the other half of my home.  It is configured to run in AP mode.
WiFi settings - the only WiFi networks enabled in my home are the ones on the R7800.  I have Smart Connect enabled for the primary netowrk.  My IoT devices (solar panels, smart thermastats, security cameras, etc.) connected to the 2.4 GHz guest WiFi (because some of the devices only support 2.4). The 5GHz guest WiFi is disabled.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

So you have potential issues. 

1. the C3000Z has its own integrated routing functions. Shutting off wifi doesn't put it in passthrough/modem only mode. It simply disables wifi. This can cause a double nat and issues. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2. The SG200-26 is a a smart switch. It has the potential for its own dhcp/nat setup as well. Which can cause isssues. Not sure how you have it setup or what functions you're using on it. 

What I usually advise people when they're running setups like this is to start simple. The old KISS principle of networking. 

Start with just the C3000Z and the R7800. Get them running properly together. Whether that is leaving the routing fuctions enabled on the C3000Z and putting the primary R7800 in access point mode or getting the c3000Z into a properly functioning passthrough mode (not always easy or possible with that router) and using the r7800 in router mode. Get that up and functioning properly first for a long enough time that it ensures your "wan access issue" is resolved. Then add either the switch or the other r7800 back in and run it to ensure it still functions properly. 

Message 4 of 8
IsaacS
Tutor

Thanks. If we had double natting issues, I would think it would be an all or nothing setup - I have lots of devices (some wired, some wireless), and they all seem to work 99% of the time.  It seems like there is just an issue communicating with this one device where it thinks the wireless authentication is incorrect, but only to move forward with the device after a couple of retries.  My prior setup (Ruckus) didn't have this issue with all the other components in place.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Not sure what to tell you then. 

You can continue with your setup and keep the wan issues or you can try properly setting it up to see if it fixes the issues. 

Not much we can do when you're cascading routers but not willing to fix it. 

Message 6 of 8
IsaacS
Tutor

I'm not looking to argue with an internet troll over the merits of my configuration.  All is working except for a certain device being intermintently dropped from the wireless.   The other 20+ devices are having absolutley no issues, but let's entertain the idea that I did have a double NAT issue - how would that affect authentication to the wireless netowrk on the device? In a typical double NAT situation, there would be TONS of routing issues.  VPNs, VoIP phones, etc. would all struggle to function - they do not.

I appreciate you trying the low hanging fruit, but I think this will require a slightly different approach.  Let's see if someone else has another idea.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Not sure if what I said was trolling but evidently you took it as such. 

I wish you luck with the next person who might help. 

You do realize this is the community support forum where members of the public help out in their free time. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7