Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000-5 in AP mode doesn't prevent guest user to access my personal home network

jpr35
Aspirant

WNR2000-5 in AP mode doesn't prevent guest user to access my personal home network

Hello there

I have been using a WNR2000v5 in AP mode for a few years, and recently i discovered that my guest can acces my home network by using the WiFi guest network .

I beleived that using the WNR2000v5 in this mode the 2 networks were distincts, see data sheet :

Guest networks create a

completely separate WiFi network for your guests’

devices so they do not have access to your home

I am wondering if i have skiped  something when i installedScreen 1Screen 2Screen 3Screen 4 this device

I have attached some screenshots showing the settings, and for example there is something i can't explain between Screen 1 and Screen 2, they are contradictory 

Screen 1 : In french, but means : Allow guest to see each other and access my local network,  this check box is OFF

Screen 2 : Same setting but different display, it is  ON

in addition when you setup the router in AP mode for thze first time, you can't modify these settings, it is the default configuration , i mean OFF 

-Screen 3 shows the entire network, the WNR2000v5 is harwired to the Ethernet port 4 of the Orange router (Livebox 5) and the guest WiFi network is behind 

-Screen 4 shows  that i can access my  NAS  on my home network

Others : 

-The network is managed by an ISP router (Livebox 5 from Orange  ) Fiber  modem .

-my laptop is a MACBOOK PRO

Hope my description is clear enough, don't hesitate to ask for furthermore inputs.

I look forward to getting some advices

Thanks in advance

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jpr35
Aspirant

Re: WNR2000-5 in AP mode doesn't prevent guest user to access my personal home network

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

Re: WNR2000-5 in AP mode doesn't prevent guest user to access my personal home network

> [...] WNR2000v5 in AP mode [...]

How, exactly, did you do that?  "Use the Router as a Wireless Access
Point" in the WNR2000v5 User Manual, or some other scheme?

https://kb.netgear.com/26765

The following router features are not available (grayed out) when
      the router is in AP mode:

Guest Network
      [...]

"Guest Network" is a router feature, not a wireless-access-point
feature.

> Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network [...]

Not the most accurate description, I'd say.

On these routers, a "guest network" is not a separate network, but
there are firewall-like rules (enabled by default) which can limit the
ability of "guest" client devices to communicate with non-guest client
devices.  (Those firewall-like rules are implemented in the router
section of the device, which is why that functionality is lost when the
router is configured as a wireless access point.)

I can't (yet) see your pictures.  In-line images must be approved
by a moderator before others can see them.  The time required varies.
Attachments have no such limitation.  Of course, attachments have their
own one-per-message limitation.

--------

Your pictures seem to have been rejected.

Message 2 of 5
jpr35
Aspirant

Hello Antinode

Thanks for your reactivity and your explanations

1) As far as i undertsand your answer,  the   network isolation between WiFi guest network and my domestic network is not possible , because this feature doesn't exist in AP mode .

2) I had not  understood this point before buying this router, despites the questions i asked to the Netgear advisor in France, anyway ...

3) Let me explain what i try to make : 

-I am renting an appartment in my  property  which is too far from my home to receive the WiFi signal from my ISP modem router, and in order to overcome this problem, i have  installed  in the guest appartment the WNR2000v5 (the device is hidden  behind a piece of furniture) which is linked to my router with a CAT6 Ethernet cable.The aim is to offer Internet acces  only to the guest and prevent him to acces my home network.

4) is there a way to acheive  point 3 objective ? for example by using the WNR2000v5 in router mode behind my ISP router , knowing i cannot use the WNR2000v5 in the place of  the ISP router .

Thanks a lot in advance

Kind regards

Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] for example by using the WNR2000v5 in router mode behind my ISP
> router [...]

You can try that.  Cascading multiple routers can cause problems for
servers and some games (double NAT, for example), but for simple web
browsing and the like, it might do well enough.

Message 4 of 5
jpr35
Aspirant

OK thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7