Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

WPA2 - KRACK / Vulnerability

So the Krack hacking attack apparently exposes WPA & WPA-2 vulnerabilities in our R7000 Nighthawks: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/10/16/every-wi-fi-device-risk-unprecedented-krack-attack-... Can someone at Netgear make a comment about what they are doing about this flaw? Will a firmware update be able to fix this in the near future? Thanks, GG

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: WPA2 - KRACK / Vulnerability

Apparently they were notified by CERT about this issue back on August 28th.

They never responded: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/CHEU-AQNMYE

Message 2 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

I would also like to hear about which, if any, firmware versions are fixed.

Also, I would like to comment that I find it a particularly bad indication that Netgear keeps releasing firmware updates that address "security issues" without saying what they are or linking any CVE references.
Message 3 of 73
Highlighted
Master

While wpa2 is the current standard for wireless wifi today it''s hacking is not new news there have been programs on the internet for years that allow a person to break someone's routers wifi no matter who makes it since wpa2 is not netgear standard but a world wide standard that replace pep and wpa. They may oneday come up with a new standard the big question is if they do will the current devices that use wifi be able to use it.

Message 4 of 73
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 5 of 73
Highlighted
Tutor

CERT advisory sent to Netgear 50 days ago. 50 days to prepare firmware updates. Not only does my router not have a firmware update available, the security page on Netgear http://www.netgear.com/about/security/ doesn't even mention this vulnerability, they knew the precise time and date the news embargo would be lifted and that their customers would rush to the site for information. Netgear truly can't be bothered, it's disgraceful.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

William10a, the only realistic attacks on WPA2 involve short keys or WPA PIN hacks, both of which are easy to at least make difficult and time consuming. KRACK is trivial and instant and therefore much more serious. Please don't belittle our concern over a gaping hole with some idea that WPA2 is already easily penetrated because that's not true with minimal effort. In this case however we completely rely on Netgear to fix it.
Message 7 of 73
Highlighted

I have a R6700v2 Nighthawk router and the latest security update was released on July 29, 2017, earlier than when the KRACK vulnerability notification was sent, so I guess it does not patch the vulnerability. Netgear really needs to update customers when the security patch will be available because it is a serious security vulnerability.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 73
Highlighted
Initiate

Have disabled my Sky router wireless in the hopes that Netgear are more competent.  A bit concerned that they have known about it for a month and a half, and there's a distinct lack of correspondence awaiting us upon embargo lift..

Ubiquiti have been incredibly responsive.

Edit: Netgear's advisory: https://kb.netgear.com/000049498/Security-Advisory-for-WPA-2-Vulnerabilities-PSV-2017-2826-PSV-2017-...

Currently, R7000 is vulnerable.

Message 9 of 73
Highlighted

@William10a I suggest you to read the details of the vulnerability first. It is a very serious vulnerability.

Message 10 of 73
Highlighted

@NullZero, thanks for the updated advisory. However, the updated security advisory of Netgear pretty much says every device is vulnerable, but they doesn't say when they will release a patch. I hope they can release it very soon. Maybe it's time to look for a Ubiquiti router...

Message 11 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Seriously, we deployed a patch from Ubiquiti at work this morning. Netgear hasn't even given a date for when one might become available.
Message 12 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

@Diggie3 wrote:
Seriously, we deployed a patch from Ubiquiti at work this morning. Netgear hasn't even given a date for when one might become available.

This is exactly why I'm seriously thinking of selling my Netgear R7800 on Craigslist and setting up a Ubiquiti (or equivalent) system in my house.

I am sick and tired of Netgear’s very slow reaction time to fix firmware bugs and implement security fixes.

Are you listening Netgear? This is how you loose customers and loose market share.

Message 13 of 73
Highlighted

William10a to Netgear's rescue. If only Netgear were as proactive with, well, anything as he is with his white knighting.

Be good to get some information also on the CGN-x product series, the cable modem gateways.

Message 14 of 73
Highlighted
Master

Yes it is it is just like the wps hack where you hit the wps of the router over and over with a list of numbers untill you find the router is programmed wps code to access it. Just 8 digits long may take a long time and the users name is not needed to be logging as user on that network, I know the wpa 2 hack works almost the same way but you are listing too the wifi and running a program to crack the wpa 2 code. Any hack that let a person on your network that does not belong is bad. 

The speed a company handles the problem and fixes it is what counts.

Message 15 of 73

It's absolutely nothing like brute-forcing a WPS PIN or brute-forcing anything else.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Message 16 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

As a note, I came across this article that suggests they have released patches to address the vulneratbility. I won't be able to check for sure til I get home but ubuntu did have a patch as suggested by the post, hope it helps!

http://wccftech.com/keep-safe-wifi-wpa2-krack-exploit/

Message 17 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

William10a  
This vulnerability doesn't give the attacker access to the network; it allows the attacker to access the encryption key so that they can decrypt the communications and eavesdrop.  With TKIP it can apparently also allow packet injection.

Encrypted communications should remain unaffected.
Message 18 of 73
Highlighted
Master

I am worded the posting wrong Netgear needs issue a patch for wpa2 issue as you say the communications should remain ok the fact if can inject there onw data is a danger. I use a wired connection most of the time for my main computer the wifi based iteas I have are a laptop and a wifi beased printer. I hope Netgear issues the patch soon .

Message 19 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

Will a patch be released for the R8000 router, for some reason it does not seem to be in the list of affected routers on netgear? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 20 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

This is nothing like the WPA brute Force hack, william10a, and it is not cracking the WPA2 passphrase either.

Please, if you don't understand then at least don't confuse other people.

Tkrbt78: Some normally secure communications might be vulnerable to things like sslstrip.

Wolfbriak: Only a handful of Netgear devices are listed there, unfortunately.
Message 21 of 73
Highlighted
Tutor

+1 please address this issue Netgear.

Message 22 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nobody has posted the link to official website of the bguy who discovered the vulnerability?

Well, here it is.  You can even get his research paper on it, but note that the issue is worse than the paper describes.  In that they have since discovered it is easier to compromise some systems like macOS & OpenBSD that they initally discuss in the paper.

Here is the link: https://www.krackattacks.com/

Until your devices are patched, I would suggest the following measures to reduce your risk and attack surface:

1. Don't use WiFi - not really a possibility all the time, but if you have devices that can connect via a wire, then use that.

2. Use HTTPS to connect to websites - this encrypts your traffic before being transmitted over WiFi.

3. Use a VPN - this will encrypt all traffic, not just web browsing.

4. Use Higher Frequency WiFi - this is just a little bit of basic physics, and won't really do all that much to prevent attacks, but for the same reason that the sky is blue, higher frequency WiFi networks don't travel as far.  2.4 GHz penetrates through walls better than 5 GHz, and 60 GHz (802.11ad) pretty much requires line-of-sight.  Not really something that is going to prevent a determined adversary, but just good to know really.

Message 23 of 73
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NETGEAR is aware of the recently publicized security exploit KRACK, which takes advantage of security vulnerabilities in WPA2 (WiFi Protected Access II).  NETGEAR has published fixes for multiple products and is working on fixes for others. Please follow the security advisory for updates.

NETGEAR appreciates having security concerns brought to our attention and are constantly monitoring our products to get in front of the latest threats. Being pro-active rather than re-active to emerging security issues is a fundamental belief at NETGEAR.

To protect users, NETGEAR does not publicly announce security vulnerabilities until fixes are publicly available, nor are the exact details of such vulnerabilities released. Once fixes are available, NETGEAR will announce the vulnerabilities from NETGEAR Product Security web page.

Message 24 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

> Being pro-active rather than re-active to emerging security issues is a fundamental belief at NETGEAR.

Under this light it's hard to look upon Netgear's response favorably. According to CERT Netgear was notified Aug 28th, and come disclosure day dozens of Netgear devices are listed as affected and it looks like updates are available for only a handful.

Don't come to us with words and empty hands.

> To protect users, NETGEAR does not publicly announce security vulnerabilities until fixes are publicly available, nor are the exact details of such vulnerabilities released.

File that under "things that don't help when you pass the disclosure date".
Message 25 of 73