Reply

Wake Computer From Internet

obsidianfirefly
Aspirant

Wake Computer From Internet

I'm trying to get my network set up so that I can use an app to wake my computer from sleep while I am away from my network. I used to have this working on my old router but I can't seem to get it done with the R7000. I've tried everything like how I did before but it still won't work, only while connected to the same network.

I have forwarded the ports needed to my computer based on MAC address and I have my custom no-ip address set up in the router as well. I even have my computer's MAC address binded to a specific IP address for other reasons. What am I missing? Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
bobcageon
Guide

Re: Wake Computer From Internet

not sure if this is exactly what you need but I was having a problem with an HP printer wired through a switch (and wireless for that matter) that would now WOL. Well, Kong has a WOL Daemon that has finally solved my retarded printed by setting this up. It send a packet to the assigned ip to keep i awake OR I can manually send a WOL command via the router's CP.
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Wake Computer From Internet

Read Fordem thread on this issues that you can not send magic packet

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=91345
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
bobcageon
Guide

Re: Wake Computer From Internet

here is more info from dd-wrt: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL
Message 4 of 5
obsidianfirefly
Aspirant

Re: Wake Computer From Internet

bobcageon wrote:
not sure if this is exactly what you need but I was having a problem with an HP printer wired through a switch (and wireless for that matter) that would now WOL.

Well, Kong has a WOL Daemon that has finally solved my retarded printed by setting this up. It send a packet to the assigned ip to keep i awake OR I can manually send a WOL command via the router's CP.


Does that only work with dd-wrt or will it work with stock firmware? Also, are you saying you can wake your printer up from LAN? I didn't know that kind of thing exists...I will have to look into that. Thank you.

jmizoguchi wrote:
Read Fordem thread on this issues that you can not send magic packet

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=91345


So just to be sure, I should be looking at the Wake on WAN section correct? Do you happen to know the dangers in doing this as hinted by Fordem? Also, have you done something similar? Is it similar to the process described on the website? Thank you.

bobcageon wrote:
here is more info from dd-wrt:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL


I'm currently on the Netgear firmware since I was having trouble with connecting to the internet after waking from sleep on dd-wrt. I'm new to dd-wrt so I wasn't sure if I missed a setting somewhere. Any idea what could cause that? If I could get that solved I would switch back soon. Thank you
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2242 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements