Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wall mounted R8000

NoWire
Guide

Wall mounted R8000

Hi,

How should the antennas be positioned for best signal when I hang my X6 on the wall?

Best Regards,

Kristian

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
NoWire
Guide

Okay, received my X6 yesterday and installed it.
My first thought was, if it's as good as it is big, then it has to be good, and it is (IMHO)  🙂
After some testing I have found out that the location in the house is not critical, it works excellent in all corners!
In a couple of days we will have fiber installed in the house and then perhaps, to get the best of it, location is more critical.
I'll have to test!
Today we have 30/4GB, and for the devicecs that can handle the speed (802.11n) it's no problem, but tomorrow it will be 100/50GB (or 500/100GB have not decided yet)...!

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Find a area with the weakest signal and make adjustments while someone watches the signal level. It's impossible to answer that question with anything but an opinion.

read me

Message 2 of 14
NoWire
Guide

Hi,

Thanks for the answer!

But is it not so that the antennas can't be adjusted so they are pointing in a vertical direction if the unit is wall mounted?
i have looked at YouTube-clips and tried to figure out if you can adjust the antennas in a vertical direction but they only show the X6 flat on a desk!
It looks like the antennas will stick out from the wall?
The X6 makes a big footprint so it would be nice to make it "disappear" by hanging it on a wall.

Message 3 of 14
clithes
Prodigy

Looking at the unit and the way the antennas function i'm not sure it designed to be wall mounted, hence why it is always shown flat on a desk / table

Message 4 of 14
NoWire
Guide

No, you're probably right!
But since there are mounting holes on the back side, I thought of the possibility since it has such a big footprint flat on a desk and is not easy hide 🙂

Message 5 of 14
clithes
Prodigy

Have you tried it on the wall to see how effective it is ?  Even if you just hold it where you are thinking of installing it and get someone else to check Wi-Fi coverage around the building ?

Message 6 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hang it from the ceiling problem solved.

Message 7 of 14
carll76
Apprentice

I have my R8000 wall mounted.  behind a door (thin wood) as close to the celing as possible (top antena is level with the door when the door is open).

The ports are at the bottom so i have trunked all the cables so its tidy.

From the top (with ports at the bottom) you have a degree of movment, my house is a 3 story town house and the signal reaches the top floor just fine. I have moved the antena about a bit but they have limited movment.  from memory.. top 2 will move left and right and have some upward vertical movment (not much) middle only move left and right. Bottom left and right witth downward vertical movment.  i have kind of pointed the antena in the general direction that makes sense to me (line of sight) as best i can..

The router is huge...

Message 8 of 14
NoWire
Guide

Hi,
To be honest, I have not received it yet, ordered it yesterday!
Right now I'm trying to find a good spot somewhere in the middle of the house where i can put it to get the best coverage.

Have a nice day!

Message 9 of 14
carll76
Apprentice

The hardware is excellent... hope you enoy it..

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Pick a spot where heat can disapate because it will generate some and heat is a router's worst enemy. Also the power pack is a bit large BUT expected seeing it's current is rated @ 5.5 amps @ 12VDC

Message 11 of 14
NoWire
Guide

Noted!

Message 12 of 14
NoWire
Guide

Okay, received my X6 yesterday and installed it.
My first thought was, if it's as good as it is big, then it has to be good, and it is (IMHO)  🙂
After some testing I have found out that the location in the house is not critical, it works excellent in all corners!
In a couple of days we will have fiber installed in the house and then perhaps, to get the best of it, location is more critical.
I'll have to test!
Today we have 30/4GB, and for the devicecs that can handle the speed (802.11n) it's no problem, but tomorrow it will be 100/50GB (or 500/100GB have not decided yet)...!

Have a nice day!

Message 13 of 14
carll76
Apprentice

how are you finding it ? I can only dream of an interent connection like you have.. The best I can get is 80/20 FTTC it would cost me thounds £ to get FTTP..  Unless google come to Leicester in the UK 🙂

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7