Highlighted
Follower

Wan/lan DNS

This is more of a question/suggestion with the ability to custom set dns on the xr700 under wan setup how difficult would it be to place those settings on the lan setup so that the custom addresses are handed out to the lan clients? The Actiontec line gives this ability. I run grc.com's dns benchmark that makes dns recommendations and you can set them to get faster response times.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Wan/lan DNS

It would not be difficult - but technically wrong to push the same DNS IP configured on the router WAN to the DHCP on the LAN. Netgear does - for simplicity - run a very simple dnsmasq config on all the consumer routers, which is used as a DNS relay (and cache!) for all DNS queries from the LAN. Lots of features dnsmasq would bring are simply lost.

Of course, it would be nice if there would be a UI config for the LAN DHCP server DNS IP addresses, e.g. also to run a Pi-hole or any other LAN local DNS - or whatever crazy DNS service or IPs the admin want to be queried directly. Many other competitors have this config in thier Web UI for decades.

I wonder here what the performance point is - considering the effective data transfer does take much longer than a DNS query.

look into the Idea Exchange For Home for similar requests, in case there is none consider to file a new entry. Good luck trying to change Netgear's 1990 consumer router specs. Many tried, most gave up.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: Wan/lan DNS

@schumaku wrote:

Of course, it would be nice if there would be a UI config for the LAN DHCP server DNS IP addresses, e.g. also to run a Pi-hole or any other LAN local DNS - or whatever crazy DNS service or IPs the admin want to be queried directly. Many other competitors have this config in thier Web UI for decades.

Have wondered what the logic is with not allowing a DNS service on the local LAN. In my current setup I can point at a local DNS server, a Pi-Hole in this case that just works, but noticed this limitation with NG. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements