Re: Want to use the Nighthawk R6700 to Replace old ISP-supplied Modem/WiFi Router

ngfan8
Aspirant

Want to use the Nighthawk R6700 to Replace old ISP-supplied Modem/WiFi Router

Hello; I just purchased a Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Model R6700, and the ISP technical assistance representative, have told me that I should connect it via one of the old Technicolor TG582n Ethernet ports, but the main reason for purchasing the Nighthawk is to improve the performance of my desktop Lenovo H-50, which is in WiFi configuration "Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC". I've been watching a couple of videos in regard to Nighthawk installation, where the user, replaces the existing ISP-provided modem, with the AC1750 R6700, but the Netgear installation guide, shows the Nighthawk as being connected via existing modem and not directly to the cable. I don't know if I'm right or not, but I think that, being the specs of my Technicolor modem/router, inferior (2x2 802.11n 2.4GHz @ 1.30 Mbps), it may limit the better performing potential of both, Nighthawk’s, Smart Dual Band 3x3 802.11ac & higher speeds, (450Mbps) 2.4GHz & (300Mbs) 5GHz, and ultimately, the overall internet performance of the PC. I'm using an Edimax AC750 Dual Band Wi-Fi extender, because the entry point is in another room. It is working nicely, and its specs do resemble those of the Nighthawk, thus, I foresee that there must be no performance or conflict issues between that device and the Nighthawk. Any advice, in order to successfully installing my rig, is appreciated in advance.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: Want to use the Nighthawk R6700 to Replace old ISP-supplied Modem/WiFi Router

The R6700 is a pure router.  It does not have a modem, so you cannot get rid of your TG582n.  You have two choices:

1. If possible, you can put your TG582n into bridge mode.  This disable the router functions, enabling you to use your R6700 as a router.
  2. You can enable Access Point mode on your R6700.  This disables the router functions, enabling you use to the R6700 purely for its Wi-Fi and Ethernet functions.

Message 2 of 3
William10a
Master

If using a tv cable based voip voice over the internet phone service your going to use their modem (gateway). However if it is just a internet service with out phone service or any thing ese you may be able to upgrade your modem if your cable compancy lets you with your own. Your may save yourself 4 to 10 dollars a month you have to pay a rental fee let most people for the modem. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E