Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Warm Reboots vs Power Cycling

Randin
Aspirant

Warm Reboots vs Power Cycling

From my understanding it's bad for chips to change temps regularly... i.e. turning off a router at night, then turning it back on in the morning. The chips go from hot to cold, back to hot... and over time this prematurely wears them (from what I've read). This was the reason I chose the R7000 as I can turn wifi off with the physical button and leave the router up 24/7. (With maybe an occasional power cycle if needed.)

My question is, is it detrimental to longevity in the same way to do a warm reboot, once daily?

I ask because I'm running Advanced Tomato and toggle off wifi at night. In the morning iwhen I re-enable wifi, the button's LED stays off (unlike stock FW), I can set the wifi button for a longer press, that will instead reboot the router. This has the effect of turning wifi back on AND re-enabling the wifi button's LED, (which I want on because at night when it's dark and I want to toggle wifi off I want to see the button). So a 2-sec press toggles wifi off at night, and a 4-sec press in the morning reboots the router. 

Is that bad for the router over the loing haul, to do a warm reboot each morning? TIA

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

@Randin wrote:

Thanks, but I apparently obscured my question by providing too much background info as to why I wanted to do a warm reboot each morning. Again, the question wasn't about turning wifi off (which I know is fine), or about a cold boot (which I am not doing).... it was about a daily warm boot.

Instead of providing so much info I should have just asked:

"Is a daily warm boot ok, or will it wear the router faster?"

🙂

Since your wanting too do a warm boot the hardware should be ok , The firmware is should load correctly as long no issues pop up during the booting process is the main danger I can see. Your just reloading the os(firmware) like you would in a computer with a reset(reboot) button.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies

@Randin wrote:

From my understanding it's bad for chips to change temps regularly...

That's a pretty old notion. Not sure that it has ever been scientifically proved with domestic kit that does not use thermionic valves.

Message 2 of 9
AntonK_58
Tutor

"Thermionic valves." I was just about to mention those!

Anton

Message 3 of 9

It is also a "soldered joints" phenomenon.

Far fewer of those around these days.

Message 4 of 9
Randin
Aspirant

There are many seemingly reputable sources on both sides of the argument as to cold booting. I only do it  if there's a reason, and so it's a rare thing and I don't worry about it.

But my question wasn't about cold booting. In the case of warm booting I *do* have a reason to do it once daily, so just wanted to know the conventional wisdom from Netgear. I assume from the answers so far it's not an issue over the long haul, to warm-reboot once daily.

Message 5 of 9
William10a
Master

Its the pins that the leads within the chip or other components connect too that are the weak link when it comes to temperature change the two metals react to heating and cooling like a any weld joint if not done correct they will crack over time with each cycle they go bad.

As to which is best turning on and off or leaving on 24 hours 7 days a week that is a age old question ,I seen parts last for years and some only last a few days the only difference was the serial number of the equipment some power supply and operating time.

You should be ok if you turn off the wifi only as oppose too turning the router totally off, you may save a  little on the electric bill if turned off totally.

Message 6 of 9
Randin
Aspirant

Thanks, but I apparently obscured my question by providing too much background info as to why I wanted to do a warm reboot each morning. Again, the question wasn't about turning wifi off (which I know is fine), or about a cold boot (which I am not doing).... it was about a daily warm boot.

🙂

Message 7 of 9
William10a
Master

@Randin wrote:

🙂

Since your wanting too do a warm boot the hardware should be ok , The firmware is should load correctly as long no issues pop up during the booting process is the main danger I can see. Your just reloading the os(firmware) like you would in a computer with a reset(reboot) button.

Message 8 of 9
Randin
Aspirant

Thanks much...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation