BillR5
Aspirant

Warning - Netgear Genie Windows 10 DESKTOP app INCORRECTLY says R6700 firmware up to date

Windows 10 Desktop Genie BUG - v2.4.60 and some earlier versions - Incorrectly reported router update status as up to date (R6700 implicit v1 with firmware 1.0.1.36 installed; but 1.0.2.6 is actually available).  Tried several times yesterday after updating to Genie v2.4.60 and also several times before updating (maybe v2.4.40?) yesterday.  Also checked multiple times in 2018 and early 2019 with still earlier desktop Genie version(s).  Desktop Genie ALWAYS said firmware was current (at 1.0.1.36) even though there were 4(?) updates.  Online Genie correctly said firmware was outdated -- although it should have said "woefully outdated" as several critical flaws were reported and patched in 2018.  

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
myersw
Master

Re: Warning - Netgear Genie Windows 10 DESKTOP app INCORRECTLY says R6700 firmware up to date

What happens if you log into the router with a browser, since you are on a PC? Normally IP address 192.168.1.1. When I had Netgear routers I never used any of the Netgear apps. For whatever reason Netgear pushes you toward apps, even for basic management. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 5
BillR5
Aspirant

Re: Warning - Netgear Genie Windows 10 DESKTOP app INCORRECTLY says R6700 firmware up to date

@myersw wrote:

What happens if you log into the router with a browser, since you are on a PC? Normally IP address 192.168.1.1. When I had Netgear routers I never used any of the Netgear apps. For whatever reason Netgear pushes you toward apps, even for basic management. 

R6700 (no version) is behind a FIOS gateway router so neither 192.168.1.0 nor 192.168.1.1 applies. I've already updated to 1.0.2.6_10.0.52 but my IP specific x.x.x.x and routerlogin.net and www.routerlogin.net all open the router web interface (ignore not https:// browser warning, login, then reminiscent of Windows desktop Genie app).  

Router web interface check and update worked for me a few minutes after Windows desktop Genie app incorrectly claimed the router firmware was up to date.  I've been told this router web interface check is known to be unreliabe (I was lucky).

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Why I don't wonder one second if there are even more less obvious problems like the firmware update check here for the R6700(v1)?

The Genie program is a can of worms, and in many aspects simply junk. No design, completely inconsistent implementation, very few "features" or controls are talking to the router (regardless if local or remote), even less when doing it remote (e.g. no firmware version check available, but instead the "Network Map" are captured from the local network instead of the remote managed router). Information available as part of the Network Map can show up very different from the local Genie Web UI, and it's even worse when using the Nighthawk App. From some routers, the App can display the band or radio the clients are connected to (e.g. 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz), MAC address, signal level, ... for some routers only random information is available.

There are similar complaints all over, since the Genie Programs exist. Junk. Must be redone from scratch @YeZ. Same applies - a little bit less - to the Genie App and Nighthaw Apps.

Message 4 of 5
myersw
Master

@schumaku 

Wow! Let us know how you really feel about the Apps. Smiley Wink

Never used the apps, when I had the r8000 and r8000p. Always managed through the browser. If Netgear is serious about pushing folks toward the apps for management then they need to make them bullet proof which they do not appear to be now. Just another example of the lack of testing of software, in this case, as well as the known issues of not testing the firmware being released for fixes to known issues. Netgear right now has really lost their way with software and firmware support. Do not know if they have pushed this off to 3rd party, as some folks suggest, or still in house. In any case they really need to get more involved with management of the software/firmware. As it stands now the apps have issues and the firmware is released with known issues from several months back. There is no pride in what they are releasing right now. I was always taught to be proud of your work. Working for this mess I would be less then proud! 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements