Way Too Many Problems

Bama350z
Aspirant

Way Too Many Problems

Wow, where to begin. I am having so many issues with this router. I had really high expectations for this router and so far all I have gotten is misery and things just seem to be getting worse. I upgraded from the WNDR 4500 to this router mainly for the USB 3.0 support and figured while I was upgrading I might as well get the best offering. With that said let me see where to start. I have had this router for 1-2 months I would say and at first it seemed okay, not spectacular, but okay. From there everything has been downhill. I am running the latest firmware on the router. The router seems to lose devices. I had 13 devices connected originally and when I checked today only 8 remained connected. The router seems to intermittently lose network connectivity and occasionally reboot itself. When I say it loses network connectivity that means both local and internet which is a problem I have never had out of any router I have owned. Local network speeds seem average but due to the loss of local network connectivity I have files stop transferring locally mid stream and have to continuously start over. As I looked at my devices list in Windows 8.1 today I had 40 offline instances of the media genie so for some reason it just keeps replicating itself and then stops working. I have used Netgear routers for as long as I can remember with no problems but I think it is time for this one to go back home. I am definitely feeling a LOT of frustration with this product. I will see what responses I get but right now I am concerned this is a bust. I don't know if NG sends you a replacement prior to you returning your router but I also can't do without a router so hopefully someone can give me some hope where I can't seem to find any.
Message 1 of 14
theoak
Luminary

Re: Way Too Many Problems

Up Time: 30 days 19 hours
Connection Time: 15 days 21 hours

Around 15 days ago ... my Connection Time was 14 days and change. Hence, for the past 30 days, the router has had to reset its connection once.

All I have are wifi devices though.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 2 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The ethernet switch in this device has problems, definitely.
Message 3 of 14
rtpnc6
Aspirant

I'm going to go a different route after suffering with the issues with this box. I've tried multiple firmware updates (beta and non-beta), endured resetting the router at least twice a week to restore device accessibility from my wired to wireless devices, etc. without any light at the end of the tunnel to making this work reliably.

I've communicated with Netgear support, have a case still open with them, and still no resolution after several weeks. My primary requirement has been for the R7000 to function as an AP. The customizations that can be applied in this mode are pitifully small in number, so virtually no control. I do not want to go to dd-wrt as a solution either. So, I've order a D-Link DAP-2695 AP today whose capabilities are more in line with what I require. Hopefully, the R7000 will get fixed by some firmware update and I will be able to use in in bridge mode downstream for the other portion of my lan..
Message 4 of 14
cc999
Aspirant

I am at 13 days uptime, I have a wired connection that has a laptop connected to where I have 2 USB hard drives. Never lose connection, never lose the external mapped hard drives. Everything works perfectly and the transfer speeds on a d/l from the wired computer to my wireless laptop is around 190 mps. Much faster than my old Asus NT56U router.

CC
Message 5 of 14
csm746
Novice

With this router, I have experience all of the problems that are listed on this forum at one time or another.

Currently, I am running 1.03.49 ReadyCloud for a try. It drops devices off the internet.

Support just had me download 1.03.31 which I have not flashed yet.

I may check on using DD-WRT Kong with the New Drivers. I see that the versions there are up to 23900 for Kong.

Anyone using a late version of DD-WRT?
Message 6 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

cc999,

If you're not communicating frequently between devices on the wired side and devices on the wireless side, you'll never see the issue many people are experiencing.

Connect that laptop with the external HDDs to wireless and after 2 or 3 days, you're wired clients won't be able to see it anymore.

csm746,

There are a couple of people here running 23900M and having extremely positive results. I will be installing it tomorrow morning.
Message 7 of 14
JAMESMTL
Novice

csm746,

DDWRT has been rock solid for me on 3 R7000s.

Check out the ddwrt r7000 thread for more information

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443
Message 8 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
I am on dd-wrt as well. Router just keeps running unless I want to bring it down to make some changes or update f/w. With any router I owned it is always same. I make them what I want them to do. People make mistakes buying some thing new too SOON. Hardwares are made to run but accompanying software(firmware) is way behind the hardware. Feel sorry for ordinary consumers repeating this cycle of pain. Nothing works perfect right out of box these days which gets worse
as time goes. As long as marketing dept. dictates engineering dept what do to nothing will change.
At least there is Lemon law regarding automobiles, LOL! BTW, I never use Genie which just increases overhead on the router resources.
Message 9 of 14
JAMESMTL
Novice

htismaqe,

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me to be either a FW or driver issue. Considering those of us who run ddwrt on the same hardware are not experiencing that issue, a statement such as "The ethernet switch in this device has problems, definitely." seems to me to be a little misleading.
Message 10 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

Hi. Indeed, my main work laptop(ASUS ROG) is wired to router and some times it is just sitting there in sleep, when wake it up to do something any time, it always came right back and the connection is always there. All serious work is done on desktop and it is quad boot(W7,W8, Ubuntu, Mist) never loses connection wired or wireless. dd-wrt has two versions on late releases. One with older radio driver, one for newer radio driver. I am on newer driver.
Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

JAMESMTL,

Yes, you're absolutely right. I should have been more clear. The ethernet switch CODE on this router has issues.

I did mention to Netgear support today that the problem doesn't appear to exist in DD-WRT and they promptly told me that loading DD-WRT would void my warranty. 😄
Message 12 of 14
JAMESMTL
Novice

It would be a little difficult for them to void the warrenty when they clearly state "Open source support - Download open source firmware from www.myopenrouter.com"

See bottom right corner of the official R7000 product page under security
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

I believe it is also stated on the box. Can't be 100% sure since I threw out it long ago.

In any event, it is the only reason I chose this router. I never intended to use stock FW just play with it a touch before switching to ddwrt.
Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, that person just didn't know what they were talking about.

First of all, you're 100% correct - they ADVERTISE open source support all over their website and all over the actual R7000 packaging. They point to myopenrouter.com, which has links to Kong's build of DD-WRT.

Second, even if they DID have a policy against it (and they clearly don't), they can't enforce it. Modified hardware is a no-brainer but since you can easily flash back to stock from within DD-WRT, they have no way of proving you ever used open source firmware.

The entire assertion was silly on Netgear's part.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E