Re: We need a way to disable the WiFi On/Off button

mike406
Apprentice

We need a way to disable the WiFi On/Off button

I have a cat that likes to climb things. This is the third time in a 3 month period that my cat has climbed up to where this router is and sits on the WiFi on/off button which disables the WiFi. For people with pets, or kids that could press on this button it’s not too much of a difficult request to be able to disable its function in the settings. It’s stupid that there is a physical button for this to begin with that sits right in the front of the unit, it’s location is just asking for trouble. Please take this into consideration for the sanity of pet owners and parents of young children. If this isn’t rectified in a firmware update, I will be forced to change to a different company.

Thanks
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] It's stupid that there is a physical button for this to begin
> with that sits right in the front of the unit, it's location is just
> asking for trouble. [...]

Yes, a convenient control is a serious problem.  Perhaps you should
cover it.

Message 2 of 18
mike406
Apprentice

@antinode wrote:

> [...] It's stupid that there is a physical button for this to begin
> with that sits right in the front of the unit, it's location is just
> asking for trouble. [...]

Yes, a convenient control is a serious problem.  Perhaps you should
cover it.

It's not a serious problem. It's a suggestion, ever heard of one before? I have covered it. That doesn't make it non-pressable when a 15 pound animal sits on top of it. Nor does it stop people or kids from screwing with it in general so it should have a toggle to disable this in settings. Perhaps you should stop blindly coming to defend a company and actually consider the reasoning why someone might desire this.

Edit: Cheers to the mod that removed my post. You are the hero we need but do not deserve...Guess we are still in preschool.

Message 3 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have covered it. [...]

With what?  An old bottle-cap or almost anything with more stiffness
than a piece of sewing thread should be able to do the job.

> [...] Perhaps you should stop blindly coming to defend a company and
> actually consider the reasoning why someone might desire this.

I did nothing "blindly".  I saw no "reasoning".

> [...] Guess we are still in preschool.

Some of us seem to behave that way.

Message 4 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Can't help with the cat - lucky ours don't walk/sleep on the R9000 (similar industrial design with the LED switch) conveniently located on a low 30 cm side board.

For the kids, well, one day you have to start with a "No." Tomorrow they will grab the router, play the antennas, rip out the cables - figure.

To me, these WiFi hardware buttons/switches were always obscure. Friends call me because of the WLAN is not visible (various router brands ... some with mechanical switches in the back). The answer is mostly obvious. So I understand your feature request.

Message 5 of 18

I'd be more worried that the cat will sit on the thing and it will overheat.

Then there is the fur that could get inside and exacerbate overheating.

Why not wall mount the router so that the cat can't get at it?

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 18
William10a
Master

Heat would be the thing I would worry about too, the air openings will draw in the fur and other dirt from their paws. Wall mounting would solve the issue at hand.

Message 7 of 18
mike406
Apprentice

@antinode wrote:

> [...] I have covered it. [...]

With what?  An old bottle-cap or almost anything with more stiffness
than a piece of sewing thread should be able to do the job.

> [...] Perhaps you should stop blindly coming to defend a company and
> actually consider the reasoning why someone might desire this.

I did nothing "blindly".  I saw no "reasoning".

> [...] Guess we are still in preschool.

Some of us seem to behave that way.

You've clearly never owned a cat. Bottle caps are their favorite things to steal. Seriously, just go waste someone else's time. If you cannot grasp the concept of why someone would want to disable a physical button from being interacted with, then there's no hope for you. You're arguing against someone that wants more functionality for a rather expensive product, what is wrong with you?

You probably also didn't bother to consider that someone wouldn't immediately know what was causing this to happen. Originally I had thought it was a defect with the unit and the WiFi was seemingly shutting itself off - causing me to waste time and effort with support providing me with firmware updates and troubleshooting steps. It wasn't until I actually caught my cat sitting on top of it, did I learn what was happening. The entire scenario could have been avoided if their engineering team placed the button on the BACK of the unit rather than it being on top. The power button is back there, obviously to prevent accidental pressing, so by that logic all buttons should be located in that area as well.

Message 8 of 18
mike406
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

I'd be more worried that the cat will sit on the thing and it will overheat.

Then there is the fur that could get inside and exacerbate overheating.

Why not wall mount the router so that the cat can't get at it?

@William10a wrote:

Heat would be the thing I would worry about too, the air openings will draw in the fur and other dirt from their paws. Wall mounting would solve the issue at hand.

I get what you are saying, but I'd rather just be able to disable the button before putting holes in my wall. Overheating could be an issue, she is pretty fluffy.

Message 9 of 18
mike406
Apprentice

@schumaku wrote:

To me, these WiFi hardware buttons/switches were always obscure. Friends call me because of the WLAN is not visible (various router brands ... some with mechanical switches in the back). The answer is mostly obvious. So I understand your feature request.

They are fairly obscure, adding to the reasoning that someone would want the option to set them as disabled. I also would like to be able to disable the WPS button fully as well but they don't let you do that either... This whole situation actually began with me not knowing why the WiFi was seemingly shutting itself off. No sane person would immediately think "ah yes the cat did it".  So I had gone through tech support, firmware updates, and whatnot thinking it was an issue with the unit itself. It actually wasn't until I caught my cat sitting on top of the router did it click in my head that she was stepping on the button! If the router were not still under warranty I would open it up and disconnect the button permanently...

Message 10 of 18

... she is pretty fluffy.

Not the only animal around here.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 11 of 18

@William10a wrote:

...the air openings will draw in the fur and other dirt from their paws.

Then there's this one:

Solved: Cat peed on router...need help asap - NETGEAR Communities

Message 12 of 18
mike406
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

... she is pretty fluffy.

Not the only animal around here.

What do you mean?

Message 13 of 18
TooManyMembers
Initiate

If you wish to control the access your children have to the internet by scheduling the Wi-Fi to turn off during specific times then this is a serious problem. Allowing a person to turn the Wi-Fi back on after your schedule has turned it off completely defeats the purpose of having a schedule.

Teenagers also have a tendancy to fight and annoy each other, this button also allows them to turn off the Wi-Fi just to annoy a sibling.

There should be a way of disabling this button!

Message 14 of 18
schumaku
Guru

With the WiFi On/Off switch disabled, what will come next? I tell you: They will factory reset the router. If your kids have physical access to the router (or for the sake of it any networking component) you have to teach them "No is no!". Next thing you seek is a control to disable the physical reset button. Good luck!

Message 15 of 18
TooManyMembers
Initiate

You are correct, kids do need to learn that "No is No!".  So why do we have parental controls if it is as simple as No meaning No?  Good Luck with that!

You have also assumed that the factory settings have not been changed in a manner that prevents access to the Wi-Fi / Home network.  These settings should be one of the first things changed when setting up a Wi-Fi / Home network.  One of the advantages of buying a router / modem separately from the ISP is to give you more control over your network and access to the internet! 

Allowing any user to try to turn on / off the Wi-Fi whenever they feel the need defeats the whole purpose of network security!

Message 16 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] why do we have parental controls if it is as simple as No
> meaning No?

Parental controls can help young children avoid stumbling onto
undesirable web sites (with minimal parental attention to detail).

For cats, it's a simple mechanical-engineering problem; fastening an
old bottle-cap over the button should be sufficient.  For older children
who won't behave, other measures (social engineering) may be needed.
Expecting Netgear to provide complete physical security for your router
may be unrealistic.

I haven't looked, so I know nothing, but I'd bet a small sum that the
button switch could be disabled with relative ease after a little router
disassembly.  But then all your screwdrivers would need to be hidden
from badly behaved children.  Good luck with that.

Message 17 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@TooManyMembers wrote:

You have also assumed that the factory settings have not been changed in a manner that prevents access to the Wi-Fi / Home network.  These settings should be one of the first things changed when setting up a Wi-Fi / Home network.

The factory defaults are back with a press on the reset button. Setting the family wireless network name and security key back in place again is easy. There it went - your wireless schedule, your controls, ... except of the LPC (and probably Circle, not enough experience on my side). Now it's the kids router, no longer yours.

Ever thought about why data centers are high security areas with limited physical access? Now you know. 

PS. Kids also have access to screw drivers (which can serve to close the circuits of a WifI on/off or a reset button) even if almost everything was removed. 

PPS. Almost every router (or consumer device) has a physical console connector inside. And your kids might learn faster than you can imagine. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E