Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Well, that problem turned out to not be Netgear's fault

Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Well, that problem turned out to not be Netgear's fault

Eh, I'm just passing on a troubleshooting experience in case it helps anyone else.

I had really squirrelly networking problems this morning.

Some WiFi devices worked just fine, some did not work at all. All ethernet devices didn't work at all, and I mean they couldn't even connect to the router's login page. When I ran IPCONFIG from a command line, the gateway was blank.

The fact that ethernet devices couldn't even bring up the router login page should have been a clue. I had already done a factory reset on the router before it dawned on me that the switched hub might have been the problem.

I did a factory reset and STILL could not get to the router login page, so I tried bypassing the switch and plugged the desktop directly into the RAX120 and bam: post-reset setup page came up in the browser window. Oh, and IPCONFIG reported a gateway IP.

I tried turning the switch off and back on. Everything actually worked then... for about two minutes. Then everything went back to crap.

Ugh.

It's been so long since a switch went bad on me that I didn't even think to check that. When switches get crappy, they can be maddeningly random and inconsistent, making troubleshooting hard.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

The ProSafe purple switches from NETGEAR are very solid devices. I run 3 of them with pretty high load and they've never let me down. These white, plastic switches are not that good..

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Addendum: technically, it was still Netgear's fault as the switch was one of those white plastic 8-port consumer-grade Netgear switches from Best Buy. I replaced it with an unmanaged blue switch (also from Netgear, I probably should have learned my lesson).

Message 2 of 3
microchip8
Master

The ProSafe purple switches from NETGEAR are very solid devices. I run 3 of them with pretty high load and they've never let me down. These white, plastic switches are not that good..

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7