What Netgear Wireless Router WIFI Signal can pass through 3 walls?

Sam_OK
Follower

What Netgear Wireless Router WIFI Signal can pass through 3 walls?

I am using R6400 but the wifi signal cannot pass through 3 walls and I can't receive any signal in my bedroom (My house is around 800 square feet).  I am planning to buy a more powerful router.  Which one is the most suitable, R7800 or R8000?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

Re: What Netgear Wireless Router WIFI Signal can pass through 3 walls?

R7800 is the most powerful Netgear unit WiFi range and performance wise, I’d say actually the best in the consumer space as a whole as per most reviews. Also has a more powerful newer gen CPU than R8000/R8500 important for VPN performance.
Message 2 of 6
myersw
Master

I would say the r7800. Nice router. 

Your issue with walls really comes down to what are they made of. Going through 3 could be a problem, but I would expect some signal to get through. Is the router centrally located and up high? IF not that could help. As to your question about bands, the 2.4 signal should make it through better then the 5 gig. My house is wet plaster walls with metal lath. It can be challanging. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 6
TerryPh
Virtuoso

R7800...
Message 4 of 6
TerryPh
Virtuoso

R7800...

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6

If you want to extend wifi, a new router is not the only option. A repeater somewhere in the middle, between the bedroom and the router would be an option.

You could also investigate the possibility of Powerline Ethernet, especially if you want wired (LAN) devices, such as a smart TV, in the bedroom.

You can also buy Powerline Ethernet bundles that have a wifi access point at the far end.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E