Re: What a piece of CRAP and the support sucks too.

ScottMP
Initiate

What a piece of CRAP and the support sucks too.

What a piece of JUNK, and the customer service SUCKS.  I purchased a Nighthawk and had it less than 90 days (still under warranty), When it completely died!  Unable to power on at all.  I call tech support and after some quick trouble shooting, like plugging it into another outlet, pressing the reset button and, did I have a replacement power cord to test with, which I did NOT, support said the would RMA the device.  I was given three options for the RMA; 1. Mail the broken one to them and I would receive a replacement in 10 to 15 business days, 2. They would mail me a new one, which I would receive in 7 to 10 business days and then I would need to return my broken one and, 3. Pay $30 to have them next business day one to me, at which I would need to return my old one.  Since my wife’s business is home based, I needed to use option 3.  I paid the $30 and received a confirmation e-mail THE NEXT DAY!  It ultimately took 3 days to get my next day option.  I open the new router, and to my surprise now power cord, and the power cord that my current router used was NOT compatible.  I called support again, and after about 45 minutes of being called a liar about the power cords not being compatible, we finally reached an agreement, and the customer service agent would overnight me a power cord.  Through out the evening and most of the next day, I had yet to receive a tracking notification or RMA conformation.  I again called support, and the new CSA stated that the order for the power supply was never placed.  I again explained the issue with compatibility of power cords to the new CSA, and AGAIN was told I was wrong.  After about 30 minutes of explain the differences between the two devices power supply, the CSA said “Oh!  I found it, yes there are two different types of power supplies.  Let me get you to my supervisor to correct this issue.”  Of course, none were available and someone needed to call me back.  3 hours later, I received a call from someone identifying themselves as a supervisor and during our conversation, I was very clear that I needed this power cord overnighted since I paid for next day and have yet to get a working product, the supervisor assured me it would be delivered the next day, well guess what, NOPE, not until Monday (today is Friday).  People whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK! If it ends up working good, but if you have issues your screwed.  It costs NetGear about $50 to make this product, they sell it for $170, then expect you to pay to get it replaced in a timely manner when it dies while under warranty!  Don’t waste your money get a LinkSys, they are owned by CISCO and as a network engineer, I trust CISCO.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Scott - sorry you are having a bad experience. Do you know which Nighthawk model you have? This is a subforum for the Nighthawk Pro Gaming range. The general Nighthawk forum is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

I can move your post to there if required. Thanks.

Message 2 of 6
TheEther
Guru

FWIW, Cisco sold Linksys to Belkin years ago.
Message 3 of 6
ScottMP
Initiate

They sold a "part" of the LinkSys line to Belkin.
Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Cisco sold its home networking division, including the Linksys name, to Belkin. Whatever Cisco kept (mostly lower-end managed switches) are not home networking products. If you buy a Linksys Wi-Fi router, it's going to be supported by Belkin, not Cisco.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had a terrible experience. I would be outraged like you, but at some point you'll learn that "next-day shipping" is seldom ever the truth for many companies. Just to be clear, I don't work for Netgear and I don't rely on their support. I, too, am a network engineer and I do my own support.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

It would be more helpful if you would tell us which model NG Nighthawk router you are referring too. There are several models. I presume if your not referring to the new XR500 as it's new and works really well for me and others. I presume this thread should be moved to the more appropriate Nighthawk forum. 

Yes, as others have stated, Cisco sold Linksys router Mfr group to Belkin a years ago. My experience with Linksys has not be as good as NG and other router Mfrs. I wish Linksys had not been sold. Smiley Frustrated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys

Your statement about Linksys and Cisco is not correct.

If you let us know what model router you have, maybe we can help you. I have the R7800, XR500 now. All good working routers. 

wrote:

What a piece of JUNK, and the customer service SUCKS.  I purchased a Nighthawk and had it less than 90 days (still under warranty), When it completely died!  Unable to power on at all.  I call tech support and after some quick trouble shooting, like plugging it into another outlet, pressing the reset button and, did I have a replacement power cord to test with, which I did NOT, support said the would RMA the device.  I was given three options for the RMA; 1. Mail the broken one to them and I would receive a replacement in 10 to 15 business days, 2. They would mail me a new one, which I would receive in 7 to 10 business days and then I would need to return my broken one and, 3. Pay $30 to have them next business day one to me, at which I would need to return my old one.  Since my wife’s business is home based, I needed to use option 3.  I paid the $30 and received a confirmation e-mail THE NEXT DAY!  It ultimately took 3 days to get my next day option.  I open the new router, and to my surprise now power cord, and the power cord that my current router used was NOT compatible.  I called support again, and after about 45 minutes of being called a liar about the power cords not being compatible, we finally reached an agreement, and the customer service agent would overnight me a power cord.  Through out the evening and most of the next day, I had yet to receive a tracking notification or RMA conformation.  I again called support, and the new CSA stated that the order for the power supply was never placed.  I again explained the issue with compatibility of power cords to the new CSA, and AGAIN was told I was wrong.  After about 30 minutes of explain the differences between the two devices power supply, the CSA said “Oh!  I found it, yes there are two different types of power supplies.  Let me get you to my supervisor to correct this issue.”  Of course, none were available and someone needed to call me back.  3 hours later, I received a call from someone identifying themselves as a supervisor and during our conversation, I was very clear that I needed this power cord overnighted since I paid for next day and have yet to get a working product, the supervisor assured me it would be delivered the next day, well guess what, NOPE, not until Monday (today is Friday).  People whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK! If it ends up working good, but if you have issues your screwed.  It costs NetGear about $50 to make this product, they sell it for $170, then expect you to pay to get it replaced in a timely manner when it dies while under warranty!  Don’t waste your money get a LinkSys, they are owned by CISCO and as a network engineer, I trust CISCO.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)> RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E