eodbob
Initiate

What is a privacy separator and where do I find it?

I am trying to print off one of my iphones and I get a dialog box that says "Check that the routers "Privacy Separator" option is disabled. Any help will be appreciated.

Model: WNR2000v2|Wireless-N 300 Router WNR2000v2|EOL
Message 1 of 43
TheEther
Guru

Re: What is a privacy separator and where do I find it?

What is your router's model?

Privacy Separator might be referring to a function that prevents devices from seeing each other.  There are a couple of features on routers that have this function.  One is called AP Isolation and is usually found on older routers.  The other is the guest Wi-Fi network.  Some routers have additional controls for the guest network, such as the ability to control whether guest devices and see each other and/or see the devices on the main network.

If you provide your router model, then we can tell you what kind of isolation features are supported.

Message 2 of 43
eodbob
Initiate

Thanks for the reply. I just activated Guest Sharing but now I have an even bigger problem. I can't sign in to my bank's web site. When I try I come up with something called airOS. I have no idea what that is. It asks for a password and I have no idea what that could be either. I am able to go to any other web site but that one. Any ideas?

Model: WNR2000v4|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 3 of 43
TheEther
Guru

Can you post a screenshot?  I have no idea what airOS is, either, other than the operating system for Ubiquiti, which is another networking company.

Message 4 of 43
Trentwood1728
Aspirant

Model R6220
Message 5 of 43
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trentwood1728,

Are you experiencing the same issue? Please provide more details.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 43
Avik
Aspirant

Message 7 of 43
ZenHouston
Aspirant

Dear all
My router is R7000, can you show me how to set up the privacy separator to disable?
Thank you
Message 8 of 43
JamesGL
Master

Hi ZenHouston,

What do you mean by privacy separator? What do you want to do why you want it to be disabled?

Message 9 of 43
JamesGL
Master

Hi ZenHouston,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 10 of 43
Gheitzman
Aspirant

1. How do I disable privacy separator on guest network 
Message 11 of 43
Bugsjuice
Aspirant

I too have this error messages asking to ensure the “Privacy Seperator” option is disabled. The model number of the router is the WNR2000v5. I have logged into the router and have tried the guest theory, but that doesn’t work either.

the printer I’m trying to connect is a Brother Multi-Function MFC-J430W. It is connected to the same network, with the same password.

heres the screen shot of the error message that appears on the iPad.

Message 12 of 43
Carbon1962
Aspirant

How do I disable the "privacy separator" on the c3700?
Message 13 of 43
Carbon1962
Aspirant

The model # is c3700
Message 14 of 43
TheEther
Guru

@Carbon1962 wrote:
The model # is c3700

According to the manual, there is a Wireless Isolation control under Advanced Settings.  See here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C3700/C3700_All_MSOs_UM_EN.pdf#page=69

The other possibility is that people may have more than one router installed in their network.  Many modems have a built in router.  If the printer is behind another router, then accessing it will be blocked from devices on the Internet/WAN side of the router. 

Most home networks should only have one device functioning as a router.  Either disable the router inside modem by putting it into modem-only or bridge mode, or convert the second router into an Access Point (AP).  Many routers have an AP mode setting for convenience.

Message 15 of 43
Stasisi
Aspirant

Message 16 of 43
Pg7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Message 17 of 43
Dg3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: What is a 7000 privacy separator and where do I find it?

What is a 7000 privacy separator and where do I find it?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 18 of 43
Rajpeddi2324
Initiate

The same problem was with my brother printer displayed same error privacy seperator.... I just reset the network option on brother printer and again setup the wlan connection ... thats it Now i am able to print from ipad and iphone
Message 19 of 43
Diddenjw
Aspirant

I am having the same problem - don’t understand what this privacy separator is and how to deal with it.

My Brother printer will print one or two things and then seems to “forget” it’s connected to my WiFi and I get the privacy separator messaged.

Help

(and I THINK my model number is correct - I didn’t see the word Nighthawk but that’s what came up when I started typing in a number I found.....) Yes- NOVICE is correct Smiley Happy

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 20 of 43
mholm12
Aspirant

I had the same error (privacy separator) with my laptop Windows 10 when installing Brother MFC-l2750DW I connected the usb printer cord which then located the driver with printer name and then I was able to connect to the wireless network. If you are using the Installation CD it should give you a pop-up telling you to do this. If you copy the CD onto onto a thumb drive and install from there you won't get this pop-up for whatever reason or it didn't in my case.

Message 21 of 43
Diddenjw
Aspirant

The issue with your suggestions is that there is a notion that I have a computer.
I only have an Ipad —- there is no place to plug in anything or run any sort of CD.   Everything is wireless/Bluetooth............
:/
Message 22 of 43
Docntom
Aspirant

I am trying to Print from my iPhone to my printer. It is a brother printer. The message I get is that I need to disable my privacy separator. Can you help?
Message 23 of 43
buffynz
Aspirant

can anyone tell me how to access the settings so I can change privacy separator

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 24 of 43
buffynz
Aspirant

after reading one above I changed network settings using setup wizard on Brother same model as above, this time putting in ssid manually, previously I was using the WPS/AOSS, nowI just have to get it to print correct size, 

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements