Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is access log actually showing

umeweall
Aspirant

What is access log actually showing

I have a Nighthawk, R6700 v2 wireless router.  When looking at the access log, I have a question on what is appearing there.  Are the items displayed simply items that attempted connection, or are they items that actually connected to the router?  I have IP addresses which are blocked, and I see some of those addresses listed in the log.  I have not seen IP addresses in the access log stating that an IP has been blocked.  This leads to my question if the Nighthawk just blocks IP's silently, without listing this in the log, and the items in the log are just showing items that tried to connect.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: What is access log actually showing

DoS attacks are blocked, period, but are logged.  You should not have "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" checked on the Advanced tab, on left Setup, WAN setup page. If you uncheck that box you lose that protection and they will get in. No need to block that IP Address as long as that box is unchecked, router never lets them in to even be blocked.

If they ARE legitimate and the router rejected a valid packet, TCP/IP is smart enough to regenerate the packet and it eventually gets to you. If logging in, you might notice it took longer.

Multiple DoS entry seconds apart are more than likely to be a real attack, although in some cases it is just someone trying ping you I think. If they are very fast, seconds apart, the router is supposed to shutdown entry for everything for a few minutes, but I have NEVER seen that happen.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13

All Replies

What log entries are we talking about here?

What do they say?

Message 2 of 13

An entry like this means the connection was rejected:

[WLAN access rejected:

And one like this means it was accepted. 

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.102)] to MAC address

I have someone blocked as well, but they still try, and the router still logs the attempt.

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC

Message 3 of 13
umeweall
Aspirant

I am speaking of entries like the following:

[DoS attack: ACK Scan] from source: 52.46.133.39:443 
[DoS attack: ACK Scan] from source: 72.21.207.87:443

If I have the IP listed to be blocked, does the router block it, without

showing it in the log, or does it allow the IP to appear in the log, as

above, and block it then?  I have never seen an entry in the log,

which states that the IP has been blocked, but I continue to see

IP's that I have listed to be blocked, showing up in the log, as is

indicated in the two, above, samples.  What it comes down to is

how do I know that the router is blocking what I told it to?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@umeweall wrote:

I am speaking of entries like the following:

[DoS attack: ACK Scan] from source: 52.46.133.39:443 
[DoS attack: ACK Scan] from source: 72.21.207.87:443

Those are what they say they are, DoS (Denial of Service) attacks. From the list IP Address... HOWEVER, NG routers are NOTORIOUS for logging false attacks. Usually happens when the router is busy (under load) or just lost an outgoing packet to track.

I checked them both and they are Amazon, and port 443 is generally used for Log In even...

99.99% sure those are false positives, and with the timestamp you can probably remember logging into Amazon at that time.

Message 5 of 13
umeweall
Aspirant

O.k., thanks.  The ones that I get primarily concerned about are the same type of commentary, but with IP addresses from Russia, China, Turkey, Ukraine, etc.  There are the typical port scans, which you can do nothing about, but I am more concerned with the blocking of bad, foreign parties.  I had one, from China, two nights ago, which produced at least twenty 'DOS' listings, in a row, in the log.  I have that IP as a blocked IP address, was not sure how the router was handling it.  I had presumed that if I blocked an IP, it would not show up in the log, as the router would not have allowed access.  That came down to the question for me that if an IP was showing up in the access log, did that mean the router HAD allowed access to the IP.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 13
IrvSp
Master

DoS attacks are blocked, period, but are logged.  You should not have "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" checked on the Advanced tab, on left Setup, WAN setup page. If you uncheck that box you lose that protection and they will get in. No need to block that IP Address as long as that box is unchecked, router never lets them in to even be blocked.

If they ARE legitimate and the router rejected a valid packet, TCP/IP is smart enough to regenerate the packet and it eventually gets to you. If logging in, you might notice it took longer.

Multiple DoS entry seconds apart are more than likely to be a real attack, although in some cases it is just someone trying ping you I think. If they are very fast, seconds apart, the router is supposed to shutdown entry for everything for a few minutes, but I have NEVER seen that happen.

Message 7 of 13
umeweall
Aspirant

THANKS!!  That answers all of my questions.  The selections that you mentioned, for blocking, are active and working.  I can ignore all of entries, as the router is taking care of what I was worried about.  Happiness is!!

Message 8 of 13

It can be entertaining to trace some of those "DOS attacks".

People turn up here with long lists of IP addresses of people they think are attacking them. A quick whois reveals that they often come from Google, Microsoft and places like their own ISP.

Message 9 of 13
umeweall
Aspirant

Yes, you are correct on that!   I spent time looking at my log, doing the standard 'whois', to see what my connection activity was.  I learned to recognize the 'standard' ranges from Google, Carbonite, Amazon, and other standard sites, for which I made connections with.  I also learned to identify folks that I was not interested in.

For anyone that is looking for a good toolset site to use (and I know there are many out there), a good one is here: https://www.ultratools.com/ .

Message 10 of 13

For anyone that is looking for a good toolset site to use (and I know there are many out there), a good one is here: https://www.ultratools.com/ .

Thanks for that. Very useful

I will add it to my favourite set of utilities, Nirsoft.

http://www.nirsoft.net

Message 11 of 13
umeweall
Aspirant

If you are in a hurry, and don't want to be bothered with the 'home page' crap of the toolset site, you can just go to:   https://www.ultratools.com/tools/ipWhoisLookupResult .  Don't be thrown off by the comment that you will see in a box "Sorry, there was a problem.

• The domain/hostname is invalid. ".   

All you need to do is enter a valid IP address in the box below that and you are good to go.

Have a good rest of the week!

Message 12 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@umeweall wrote:

Yes, you are correct on that!   I spent time looking at my log, doing the standard 'whois', to see what my connection activity was.  I learned to recognize the 'standard' ranges from Google, Carbonite, Amazon, and other standard sites, for which I made connections with.  I also learned to identify folks that I was not interested in.

Unfortunately you can't always tell as many sites will use 3rd party IP Address as well... Akamai is one. Many are not in the US either.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7